“Top Notch Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Udon Thani
Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
“Top Notch Hotel”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am here with my wife in Udorn for a business meeting. I found The Pannarai by accident as we were lost in Udorn city and just wanted to find any hotel after a long 5 hour drive from Ubon.

The Pannarai is a very modern and clean hotel. The hotel staff are very courteous and assisted us in every way. Had a late lunch in the dining room and received prompt attention and great food, even though it was not during normal dining hours. Great room with a very comfortable bed.

We were not disappointed and will stay here again when in Udorn.

Room Tip: Somewhat pricy for a good hotel in Thailand.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location, near the shopping centre and next door to the day & night bars.

The rooms were modern, clean and spacious, the pool is ample in size and the pool area is spacious.

Only thing there is not a kids pool so had to be very careful with my 2 year old son.

While I stayed here I rented a car, I must say the guys who help you park were fantastic and very friendly.

Overall good stay and would go back again next time I'm in Udon.

• Stayed December 2012
Nelson new zealand
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We booked on the net first 3 days then added 2 more in person which cost a bit mire. Still cheap though. Great location with landmarks making easy to find, clean, comfy, great breakfast, plenty of choices, and very friendly staff! We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here in November initially for 4 nights but eventually stayed 6 nights though had to change rooms for the extra nights. Probably the best hotel I have stayed at in Udon Thani. I have been shown round The Centara but haven't stayed there though it also looked ok.

The Pannarai has decent rooms and everything is clean and tidy. The maids are all very helpful and I found the reception staff quite polite though I note previous reviews had issues and it wouldn't surprise me at all.

The beds were a little hard but that issue was soon resolved by using an extra quilt under the bedsheet though we were charged extra for that task - only 100 baht so less than the tip I gave the maid who did the work but they didn't need to charge for that. I also left my key in the room one evening and they charged me 200 baht for a new key which seemed petty but then again I was more careful next time and didn't leave it there again so maybe they had a point.They also insist on guests paying up front rather than when you check-out. There is definitely a financial 'edge' you sense around the reception area but everyone was polite so I can't complain about anything. Also the young lady who often seemed in charge around reception, with a maroon coloured jacket, wasn't unattractive so I will give her the benefit of any doubt obviously.

The pool was small but reasonable and the breakfast was ok. Towards the end I ordered Thai food for my breakfast and that was much better. You could order food from the main restaurant menu and I recommend the Yam Thalay for those with strong constitutions who like Udon Thani spicey chillies first thing in the morning - clears out the system very well.

We had a room on the 3rd floor I think and it overlooked the carpark at the side. We didn't hear any noise from around town but I note other reviews' comments. We did have noise for the first 4 nights coming from the internal lift which was directly opposite us but it wasn't major and when we moved to the end of the corridor for the last nights it was completely silent.

The location is central and everythingis within easy reach - apart from the nearest Family Mart which was about a 10 minute walk - but this is no hardship. I wasn't aware it was a red light district when I was there. It doesn't seem any different from other places I've stayed in Bangkok, Pattaya or Koh Samui apart from there being a lot of European males around which is usually a clue.

Staff varied in terms of enthusiasm but generally everything was fine and even the car park attendant was keen to direct you into or out of a slot at all hours of the day and night.

I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Udon Thani. It was reasonably priced and certainly by Udon Thani standards (there are some dives) it is by far the best I've experienced.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the crpark at the side and also get the end of corridor rooms near the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CITYBOY1000
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is still fairly new and the room was adequate. Fortunately, my room was located on the side away from the street. Despite arriving for Christmas season, the hotel was big enough so that I did not feel crowded. Staff was helpful and polite. I did not see or hear anything related to the bars that are are apparently in close proximity. We were a short tuk tuk ride away from the Central shopping center, and the Udon Food and Beer park. Udon was a nice change from the hectic pace of Bangkok and Phuket. Hotel breakfasts tend to be bland and unimaginative, but the hotel tried its best, although it would have been nice to have real coffee and not instant. The hotel is the only viable alternative to the over priced Centara and I believe it provided excellent value. To those customers expecting english fluency, please keep in mind that Udon is not a tourist destination and the hotel serves Thai clientele as well as foreigners. The english language skills were adequate for my needs.
I will book again on my next trip next month.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TranspaciFlyer
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

For my last night in Udon Thani I opted for The Pannarai Hotel which was only completed in April this year. A very good decision as it turned out as my short stay was very pleasant and it is my intention to return there for a week next year !
The staff were wonderful ! The only slight problem we had was my starter arriving whilst I was half way through my main course but I put that error down to the language barrier

Room Tip: Overlooking the poolside is good .
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thelairdofcamusx
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Nice modern rooms with good amenities and great location in Udon Thani, but the service is very poor. It seems to revolve around the Assistant Manager at the front desk, who on numerous occasions was responsible for poor or lack of service. Being a very frequent traveler to Thailand, I have ample knowledge of customs and standards of service. I drove to the hotel with my wife and her sisters (Thai). As usual upon check-in I presented my passport to allow it to be copied but was surprised when the Assistant Manager leafed through it and wrote down numbers from several pages. Usual protocal was a copy made and perhaps a look at my arrival date.
We had reserved 2 rooms for several nights and was advised that one of the rooms was going to have to be vacated the following morning and move to another room, from a 2 bed room as requested to a one bed room. Ok, they had over-booked themselves. The next hurdle was the HID key cards. Upon returning each and every day, we would find our key cards not working to re-enter the room. The first day I chalked it up to a glich in their system. On the second day I joked to the desk that they were determined to lock me out of my pre-paid room. The lady at the desk then quipped that this was an on-going problem with their key system. So daily we would play the game of going to the room wondering if we were going to have to return to the ground floor from the third to gain access to our room.
During our stay, I had a banner that was produced for a family party delivered to the hotel desk with my room number on it. I was contacted by the delivery person that they had delivered it. I returned to the hotel about 20 minutes later and went to the front desk to retrieve the package. I gave my room number and was informed, but the same assistant manager, that they had no packages for me. She went into the office, looked quickly and stated that nothing had been delivered. I said, well, maybe it was taken to my room, I would check. I went to the third floor to check, only to find that my room key did not work again, had to return to the desk to reprogram the key, back to the third floor and found no package. I returned to the lobby and at this time called the delivery person who stated that they had left it with my room number at the desk. I gave the phone to a receptionist (the assistant manager was gone thank goodness) and she spoke briefly, went to the same office and quickly retrieved the banner that the assistant manager said was not there. Wait, the story does not end there, my sisters left for a couple days and checked out, but we had made reservations for their return in person with the same manager upon arrival. While they were checking out, we decided to confirm the reservation for their return in a few days. The assistant manager asked for the room number of the reservation, we responded that we had no room number since this was future reservation and that she should perhaps look under our name. She could not find the reservation and stated that she had not made it because when we spoke to her upon check in we gave a wrong room type to her so she opted just to ignore the request, even though we were staying in the hotel. My sister responded that since she did not work there, we had no knowledge of their room types but it seemed that someone was needed who knew what they were doing.
As I stated, nice rooms but service and the ability of management to perform the most simple tasks is very lacking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family