“Fantastic property, but room to improve” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trisara Phuket

Trisara Phuket
Ranked #2 of 94 Hotels in Thalang District
NYC
“Fantastic property, but room to improve”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Pros:
- The best and most private villa-pavillions of all luxury hotels in Phuket
- Ocean view from each of them
- Best and most quiet air condition anywhere in a hotel
- Fast and free internet without any hassle
- Two thirds of the staff are outstandingly nice and friendly
- Great food quality and creativity in restaurants

Cons:
- The pool boys are really lazy indeed - you get one towel often only if you ask, but never two which would be normal in a luxury resort (one for the chair, one for drying up). Drinking water you get sometimes, and sometimes not
- Therapists quality at the spa very mixed - some are great, some have no therapeutic clues at all
- Drink prices for standard drinks are very, very high indeed - one small bottle of local beer both in restaurant and in minibar costs more than 13 US-Dollars, which is not okay
- I would prefer to pay a slightly higher room rate and then have minibar included like in some Amanresorts

But at the end, staying in a 1400 US-Dollar Villa at Trisara is so much better than in an equally priced one at Amanpuri, which has loud Aircon and no privacy, space or even pool...

Room Tip: Every room has great ocean views
2 Thank McGyverNYC
TrisaraManager, General Manager at Trisara Phuket, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear McGyverNY

Thank you for the posting. I am very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed our Ocean View Pool Villa's, silent air-conditioning, our staff, great food and fast, free internet.
We work very hard to keep refining our guest experiences and appreciate your comments.

I also appreciate your constructive comments on the areas in which we can improve.
It's a pity you only had one treatment at our spa, as we have 17 therapists who receive training on a consistent basis and I regret you didn't have time to enjoy another treatment.
Regarding the drinks, we are very careful to stay within the local market rates and conduct regular surveys of other hotels. I think you are mistaken, as a local beer at Trisara costs substantially less than the $13 as mentioned in your posting.

Again, we are very happy you enjoyed the experience and that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Regards

Trisara Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Darwin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

stayed there for work function and found it beautiful. Service is fantastic, felt really bad when I ordered a capuccino to be delivered to my room only to realize that they take the whole lot including machine to your room to make it and the villas are downhill, I ordered a Tom yum soup the next night and a big pot of soup came- felt so bad for the little Thai boy who had to carry it down to our villa.
Scenery is breathtaking. Day Spa was also fantastic (I had 3 ladies giving me a massage).
It is very private and secluded, rooms are magnificent with your own swimming pool.
Price was also tops but loved every minute of it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jonah P
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I am the type of traveler who stays at the Four Seasons, Mandarin, Bulgari, One & Only properties - just so you can see the standard I am holding Trisara to. Trisara absolutely positions itself as a 5 Star property, and their rooms are even more expensive per night than the Four Seasons in Koh Samui, so I expected Four Seasons service if not better.

Exclusivity and privacy is the premise of Trisara, and I will absolutely give it that. There seems to be no one there and the place completely lacks any sort of ambience or life to it. The staff appear to have zero personality and the level of English understood was abysmal at best. The General Manager was extraordinarily friendly and greets everyone who arrives, so when we met him, we had high hopes for Trisara. Unfortunately, he was the highlight of the entire stay.

From reception to the grounds, everything is just plain. Simplistic... there is no color - no flowers to be seen anywhere. Just plain Thai looking buildings that have no one in them, no flowers, and are devoid of any interesting Thai artwork or pottery. Just plain boring in this traveler's opinion. I like to look around - people watch, see artwork that I don't normally see living outside of Thailand, but from the common grounds to the room, it all just felt corporate and lifeless.

There are no umbrellas up around the main pool - mostly because none of the guests seem to use the main pool. When we did ask to have an umbrella put up (again in a plain brown color - nothing to feast anyone's eyes on), we were rudely refused saying it would blow away and "no we won't put it up." Let me tell you, everyday in Phuket is a windy day, so why bother having umbrellas that won't withstand the wind? So there is not a single shady area around the pool. Useless unless you want to become a lobster.

Pool service was NON-existent. We had to beg 3 different pool boys for ice. It got plopped down with a bottle of water (he didn't pour the water), not that I am not capable, but there were no other guests, so what else did he have to do? We had to ask to have towels set out for us. Water was never refilled. No such services as little complementary ice creams being passed around or fruit skewers like you get in the Four Seasons or Bulgari Bali. No sunglasses cleaning service. Nothing. No one needs these services to enjoy the surroundings, but at a minimum of 1200 USD a night, you expect to not have to beg for ice and water.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all an equal disappointment. I wanted to love something about this property apart from its' inherent beautiful ocean view. I will start with the positives - the view from all parts of the hotel and the pastry chef. Not even taking the impossibility of making crunchy, crusty bread and pastries in the 90% humidity into account (an impossible job for a baker) - this pastry chef made fabulous breakfast pastries, great bread baskets for lunch and dinner, excellent cookies that were in the room on arrival (just about the only exciting thing about the room), and the hamburger bun on the burger were top notch. Best baking I have experienced in Asia.

The bad part of each and every meal was the service. Again, horrible comprehension of English save Tik (who was just fine and the only staff member who seemed to have any personality). At dinner we had a waitress who was just flat out rude and who even mentioned that she "jacked the napkin rings to use as bracelets on her days off." Lovely - not. This was supposed to be a high end resort, and the staff were barely trained, drinks were awful from the bar and the food except for bread was just average at best. It was a struggle to order, which is just tiresome.

The villa was well appointed as far as amenities go - the furniture is of excellent quality and the bed was extremely comfortable, but nothing to welcome you - no card, no flowers, nothing. It felt like a villa that had been shut for the winter, and just had been opened with no sign of life in it.

We did not use the spa so I cannot comment on that, but we did use the gym, of which there are so many better ones in Asia - for instance the extremely well appointed gym at Four Seasons Langkawi. This gym had cords hanging everywhere, smelly headphones that were made for a gorilla sized person, and just a few pieces of equipment. Underwhelming.

I won't go on - just all in all this was a disappointment because I wanted to love this place. Stunning view, but lifeless and nothing felt welcoming. I wish the staff had been as pleasant and enthusiastic as the GM who disappeared post greeting.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Amestx101
TrisaraManager, General Manager at Trisara Phuket, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear amestx101,
I read with interest and obvious disappointment your comments above. I appreciate it when guests write to us or post comments on TA etc. as it helps us see ourselves through the eyes of those we serve.
However, I feel many of your comments and especially the headline in your posting to be incorrect and / or unfair in some respects.
I enjoyed meeting you both upon arrival and I knew your expectations were high. In our morning briefing before you checked in, we spoke about the various requests you had made and these were fulfilled.
I made it clear that I was at the property during your stay and to call me if anything didn’t meet your expectations. I then saw you having dinner in the evening yet didn’t want to disturb you during the meal. I also spoke to you again in person the next morning and asked if everything was OK to which you replied it was. At this time I asked if you were being taken care of properly by the staff and you said yes…….I therefore don’t agree with the assertion that I “disappeared” after your arrival.

It’s important to highlight you spent only one night at Trisara and therefore you interacted with only a very small number of our employees. This is not enough time to truly judge a resort experience in my opinion. As you only met literally a couple of our employees, I think the general comment that our staff has “zero” personality and “abysmal” English skills to be neither fair nor correct.
We care about the experience we offer at our resort, and I have investigated you comments very carefully.
The day you stayed was extraordinarily windy and as you know the weather had not been great which is why we do not open all the umbrellas at the beach until guests arrive, as they would be blown away, which the boys tried to explain to you. There are many large trees under which to relax out of the sun on and around our beach and main lap-pool.

I’m afraid that you misunderstood a simple light-hearted joke from our hostess in the bar, who was trying to humour you after you commented to her about how nice a napkin ring was, when she it would also make a nice bracelet. (This didn’t mean she would steal it!)

I simply don’t understand your comments about the lack of flowers etc. as there are flowers everywhere at Trisara and the gardens are literally full of beautiful tropical plants and flowers.
I am also surprised about your comments on the gym, as this brand-new equipment with 3 treadmills, 2 cross-trainers, a bike and many other machines seems to serve the guests well. There are no chords everywhere. It’s a pity you didn’t try our spa.

On a positive note, I’m delighted you felt our views were lovely, the accommodation was exclusive, and private, well-maintained and that the bed is great. I’m also happy you found our baked products to be the best you have experienced in Asia.
I’m also glad enjoyed meeting Tik, who is indeed a wonderful lady and one of many friendly & sincere staff members we have here.

I certainly take your point about the beach and the ice, which was obviously not refilled quickly enough after the beach-boys initially provided it and we are dealing with this service area now.
I do hope that one day you may decide to return, as I honestly feel you simply chose to stay on the wrong day, for only one night and I would sincerely like to reverse what was clearly a terrible first impression.

Regards,
Trisara's General Manager
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We spent two nights in a Ocean View Pool Room during Easter Holiday this year. While the room and dip pool were smaller than we had expected, the bathroom was quite spacious. The property itself was stunning with impeccable service. We had some of the best Thai food we've ever had in the country at Trisara. Both the breakfast and Easter Sunday Brunch were fantastic.

The hotel grounds are stunning with beautifully manicured landscape. We absolutely loved the 45 metre salt water pool. The beach, though quite rocky, was beautiful. They also provide excellent water sports equipment such as paddle boards and kayaks.

We took the General Manger's advice and went to Phang Nga Bay and Krabi for the day on the hotel's private speed boat which was an excellent idea. We really enjoyed our picnic next to a hidden cave in Phang Nga Bay.

Our flight was in the evening so we requested for a late check out. While our room was booked, they were able to put us up in a Ocean View Pool Villa which we thought was a very nice touch. The room was huge with a large private pool. For the price, I would definitely recommend paying up and booking the Ocean View Pool Villa instead. We're looking forward to returning to Trisara in the near future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel has everything you need for a holiday,in fact there is no reason to leave while you holidaying. Rooms great,the staff are discrete and helpful. The choice of restaurants means there is variety for many taste sensations. Children are welcomed. Do not forget to plan several visits to the spa. When it is time to leave you are already planning when the next visit can happen

Bondi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed two nights in a Ocean View Pool Villa. Room and pool both huge. Service was impeccable, breakfast excellent. Didn't eat dinner at hotel however they did recommend Tony's on the beach which wasn't good so avoid that at all costs! Yes Trisara is expensive but you get what you pay for which is 6 star. If you want to save money go for the slightly smaller ocean view suite. Only slightly disappointing feature was the beach and main pool - nowhere near as beautiful as Amanpuri but as all villas have private pools this isn't a major issue.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Trisara is really a wonderful spot to spend time on Phuket.

If you can, stay here, you wont be disappointed!

Wonderful service, especially on the food and beverage side, delicious and well varied food, spacious rooms offering huge private infinity pools, absolute privacy and ocean views.

If you can't stay here, popping in on a Sunday is a must, for Sunday Brunch! High quality food, a jazz band, and full use of the private beach and pool and kids club facilities. What more could you want on holidays...

Not loads within walking distance, but you can easily book a car with a driver when you want to head out, and there's lots within a half hour drive.... but you'll be so happy at Trisara you'll find it hard to leave!

The best breakfast on Phuket, with delicious a la carte dishes.

A super private, very gourmet, and friendly spot to spend time, Trisara is highly recommended for anyone wanting to relax in tropical weather in absolute luxury.

Can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: The pool villas are well worth the splurge from the pool rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 319 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,010 reviews

Been to Trisara Phuket? Share your experiences!