“Paradise with a smile!”
Review of Amanpuri

Amanpuri
Ranked #42 of 97 Hotels in Thalang District
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I Checked in to Amanpuri with my girlfriend, asked her to marry me, and got married, all during my stay at this amazing hotel. The staff was friendly, always quick to greet you with a smile, and way beyond competent. On less than three days notice they arranged our entire wedding, a traditional Thai Buddhist ceremony, and did a BEYOND fabulous job of it. From the wedding, to the photographer, to the dinner, to the room decorations for our wedding night. All arranged by the hotel and ALL top notch. We stayed in room 103, and I highly recommend spending the extra money for room 103 or 105 as the ocean view is breathtaking. I cannot say enough about how much we love Amanpuri and how much we are looking forward to staying at other Aman resorts in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Jangle23

Reviewed June 10, 2011

It's an Aman hotel so the service was a 20/10, ambiance was 20/10 and food was 20/10! These people get it right time after time. Service was attentive but discreet, the spa was a haven and the food out of this world fantastic!

Room Tip: We stayed in a pool villa.
4  Thank SixStarQueen
Reviewed May 27, 2011

My husband and I travelled to the Aman hotels before we had children, but promised ourselves we would return when they were old enough. Now they are 9, 11 and 13 and we all had the most wonderful stay. We were met at Phuket airport with a very comfortable limo and travelled swiftly to Amanpuri - fresh water and towels were most welcome. On our arrival we were taken up to our interconnecting garden pavilions where we changed and unpacked before having dinner in the Thai restaurant. A bottle of champagne waiting for us was very welcome.

The level of service at the restaurants was excellent, we preferred the Thai restaurant, eating at the Italian only once (we live in London where there are many excellent Italian restaurants) and once at the Japanese restaurant. We also went to the beach barbeque, which was a once in a lifetime experience - candles covered the steps leading down to the beach and the wide range of food was all divine. The children enjoyed the experience thoroughly. The staff on the beach were very thoughtful, pouring water onto the sand to cool it down and moving parasols as the sun rotated.

The beach food was very good, interesting and light; in fact every meal was a real pleasure as we knew that whatever we choose we would relish. Our rooms were very spacious and comfortable. They are simple but wonderfully designed.

We had to ensure that we sprayed with mosquito repellent every morning and evening but the restaurant manager noticed on our first breakfast that we had bites and bought us some bite relief cream instantly.

My son learned to scuba dive during our stay and his instructor was very careful, he is now the proud owner of a Junior PADI card. I accompanied him on 2 dives and my husband on 4. On their last dive they saw moray eels, amongst other fish.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to have the sense of being on their own on holiday but who does not want to be apart from other people. There are villas available, we visited one which was mindblowingly amazing, but I don't think you would use the hotel if you had such a fabulous villa - better to save your money and just have rooms which enable you to drift from location to location.

The ladies who made Thai pancakes each afternoon were very kind and I'm such a softy I cried when we said goodbye to them - they were so gentle and sweet natured. Our daughters were taught how to carve vegetables and how to make flower garlands by these kind women.

I attended yoga classes each morning and these were a pleasant way to start the day. I didn't use the gym, but my husband did. He found it vital to be on a treadmill which was not in the sun, even though the air conditioning was running. He played tennis with the children several evenings.

We had cocktails each evening in the bar and enjoyed trying the different concoctions. Our children worked their way through the non-alcoholic choices.

Although the hotel is expensive for Thailand, it was much cheaper than the hotel we stayed in last summer in Bermuda and the service and food were far better.

We would definitely return, but may visit Amanpulo in the Philippines first. We have our Amanjunkie t-shirts.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank fiflippy68
Reviewed May 22, 2011

My wife and I visited Siem Reap/Angkor Wat and Phuket for 14 days.

We stayed in the Surin in Phuket for 8 days. The Surin shares the beach with only one other hotel, the Amanpuri, which is beautiful, but much more expensive.

We went for drinks at the Amanpuri and the staff kindly showed us the rooms, which are larger and more beautiful than that of the Surin, but of course, at a price!

We made one mistake, and that was to take a 2 day break to the Phi Phi Island Beach Resort, which presents the worst value for money that have so far found. It is a MUCH better idea to take a day trip to the Phi Phi islands (which are beautiful)

We also went on a day trip to the Similan Islands for a snorkeling trip. This is beautiful and one of the 10 best diving sites in the world. The hotel arranged the trip (including 1.5 hour transport with a small bus to Khao Lak, from where you leave to visit the islands). We booked accommodation on the Island, but fortunately did not check out of the Surin for that day, since the accommodation on the island not so great, and we therefore changed our plan and returned the same day. If you want to stay longer, rather go on a diving trip - wikipedia / wikitravel have great references to companies. We used http://www.seastarsite.com/ . We were very satisfied, and recommend them.

Do not book the day-trips book ahead - wait for a day where you have guaranteed good weather

I had a suit and 2 shirts made at Manhatten Tailor in Phuket City for me. I am extremely pleased with the suit and the shirts. Whilst I am sure that you will be able to find cheaper tailors, I will definitely buy another suit from them when we the Surin again and know that I will not shop around for an alternative. They told us that whilst they can make a suit in 24 hours, it is better to allow more time as the construction of the jacket is improved if one has more time. I have read a few reviews about them, and know that others share my opinion. You can contact them at manhattanphuket@yahoo.com or ph 355-741; 355-742

We visited Siem Reap first, staying for 3 nights. I recommend combining Phuket with a trip to Angkor Wat in this order - it is the perfect combination. We stayed in the Heritage Suites Hotel (excellent - see my review for travel tips). If you go, consider very strongly using the services of our driver / guide "Phirun" whom you can contact at phirun_david@yahoo.com. We paid him $100 per day, including tips, which is excellent value.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BenLamprecht
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Sometimes you wonder what kind of value proposition you will get from a hotel that charges such exorbitant daily rates. Somehow, the Amanpuri manages to deliver and justifies all the $$$ you have spent here. Money does buy you privacy, extraordinary service and a magnificent location. Without being intrusive, the service was warm, friendly and personalized. You really felt like you had a team of individuals that were looking out only for you. Made you feel very special.

The resort is located on a whole peninsula between Surin and Laguna beach, with commanding views and a stunningly beautiful private beach. The gym is situated on the highest point of their private peninsula giving it the best location I've ever seen for a health club! From the glass walled structure you have commanding views of all the beaches below while you're trying to focus on your breathing while running on the treadmill!

The villas are very large and beautifully appointed, combining lots of wooden features, mirrored walls and great lighting. Not to mention the antique table in the middle of your room with a gorgeous flower arrangement. Outside you have a very private pavilion with magnificent vistas for your relaxation, in a lush setting. Privacy abounds! There are only 40 villas on the resort, great pool area and the sound of cicadas that accompanies you all day long.

This is paradise!

Room Tip: beach-view
1  Thank bojantercon
Reviewed April 27, 2011

The Amanpuri is pure understated elegance and exceeded our expectations in every way. We stayed there for 6 nights to celebrate my wife's birthday so it was the perfect romantic and relaxing spot and a holiday we will never forget.

The service is truly thai so very special (and discreet) and the restaurant choice and menu selection is first-class. If you are lucky enough to stay here, the beach barbeque should not be missed.....500+ candles lit the steps leading to the beach!!

One tip --- ask for a pavilion on the 1st level for its proximity to the restaurants and beach. There are golf carts just a call away but our preference was to walk.

We enjoyed every minute of our stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: See above
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I have been to their signature Restaurant for an informal dinner. We were a party of three, two Executive Chefs with over twenty years of experience each, and another friend in the hotel business as well, although not in the kitchen.
We were received with courtesy and professionalism, promptly guided to our booked table. I won't state anything on the beauty of the setting and furniture as it is a mere matter of individual taste, but I can certainly say that everything is clean and very well maintained, even in the smallest invisible details.
The staff is extremely courteous and proactive, maintaining a discreet yet pleasant attitude.
The Executive Chef, came himself to take our order and we had the brilliant idea to leave the choices to him, that's something we will never regret.
It is a rare event, in the short span of a human life, to have in one dinner, such a display of superb technique and refined aestheticism combined with a very uncommon sense of balance, both in presentation and flavors. I wish, one day, to reach that level!
Our dinner was much more than just the fulfilling of a physiological need, but a visionary trip on unexplored grounds. Ingredients and flavors were matched together in perfect harmony, yellow fin tuna and a subtle sea urchin foam serves as an example.
I won't waste words on arguments such as "value per money", as an experience like that is simply priceless!

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends