Banyan Tree Phuket
Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort.(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
$86
$66
  • Pool
Twinpalms Phuket(Thalang District)(Great Value!)
$161
$81
HolidayInn.com
$356
$100
The Chava Resort(Choeng Thale)
$355
$329
Agoda.com
The Surin Phuket(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
$365
$154
$127
Anantara Layan Phuket Resort(Choeng Thale)(Great Value!)
$272
$155
Trip.com
COMO Point Yamu, Phuket(Pa Khlok)(Great Value!)
$338
$245
Trip.com
1,860 results
All reviewsdouble pool villasaffron restaurantsignature poolspa poolbuggy serviceoutdoor bathin villa diningvilla bbqspa sanctuaryour honeymoonvilla hostlaguna resortgolf buggiesfree bikestotal privacylagoon viewcanal village
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 4, 2007

The Banyan tree was one of two hotels we stayed in during our honeymoon in Phuket. We spent the first three days at the Banyan Tree, and the next three at Banthai Resort in the heart of Patong(see other review).

Our agent had arranged for airport transfer to Banyan Tree so I can’t comment on the taxi fares. You can borrow dvds (and books) from the library for free if you just want to stay in. Unfortunately the room has a small TV, nothing like the flat screens that are commonplace in our own homes. Great if it’s raining (or ill like I was) and you want to stay in! We were there mid June, which is during their monsoon season and did get quite a thunderstorm one night, but the skies cleared up beautifully the next 2 days! So if you’d like to make use of the low-season prices, it really isn’t too bad.

We stayed in a lagoon view pool villa (paid approx. 350Euros per night, which was a steal). The pool was clean and the water clear and large enough for us to do about 4 strokes before we reached the other side. We didn’t need the lagoon view though, because the villa, pool and beautiful little pavilion right next to it were an eyeful already. They provided bath oil and bath salts for the outdoor tub. Bath gel, shampoo and conditioner are all in large ceramic bottles, so I wasn't too sure how hygienic it was. The hardwood floor does have some scruff marks and scratches but the upholstery of the sofa, towels and bed linen are all clean and do not look worn. Previous reviews that called this place “tired” exaggerated a little. Our room was spotlessly clean. Internet connection was fuss free. Lack of a luggage rack made the villa seem more homey and less hotel-y.

Canal Village located on the lagoon property, is a cluster of stores and restaurants. The hotels have regular (but rickety) shuttle buses and we never had to wait longer than 3 mins for one to appear. Stores at Canal Village close early and by the time we were there at 8:30pm it was deserted. There was only one Thai and one Italian restaurant. We tried the spaghetti vongole that was full of fresh clams and incredibly tasty. The spinach tortellini in cream sauce was good too. Prices about 300Bht per dish. They do offer take-away if you would like to retreat back to your villa.

Other reviewers have mentioned eating alternatives near the entrance of the lagoon. The shuttle bus/ rickety pick-up can drop you at what they call the “Y-junction” and we walked the rest of the way. It is dark at night though and beware of drivers who careen round corners! Not to mention frogs lurking along the sidewalk…

We ended up at Laguna Lagoon, a thai restaurant run by a man who claims to be previously employed at Banyan. They kept trying to sell us tiger prawns (165Bht/100g) and the more expensive dishes. He also opened a bottle of water that I ordered, poured half in my glass and kept the remaining half of the bottle…?! This place did serve the best tom yam soup we had in Thailand though!

B’fast was a nice spread, till 11:30am. Potatoes in Dijon mustard, local noodles in soup, monkfish in coconut milk, freshly squeezed fruit juices and a smoothie of the day. Fresh prawns in spicy thai sauce sautéed as you wait were amazing!

Taxis would take you to Patong for at least 500 Bht. We walked out a little and got one for 350Bht.

Banyan Tree is generally very quiet, almost boring, great for the first few days of our honeymoon where we wanted nothing to do except relax with each other. But I can imagine being driven out of your mind if you’re there for too long. The beach was nowhere in sight and too much trouble to find out how to get there. I can imagine how the manicured grounds and stillness make it seem like a Florida retirement community! But all in all a lovely start to our married life, since all we wanted to do was honeymooooon...

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank FriesAndFoieGras
Reviewed June 28, 2007

I stayed here for my honeymoon and I did not feel like I was staying in a luxury hotel.
The service was so so, and the rooms in general do not have great views. The villas design has a few flaws like there is nowhere to put the suitcases, which makes the room seem messy, etc
Also, I did not like the fact that it is in the laguna complex....I felt like I was in Florida, not Thailand.
Overall I think that there are better and newer options to stay in Phuket.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank M0N
Reviewed June 11, 2007

I agonized over where to stay for my husband and my first trip to Phuket, looking over tripadvisor every day for new reviews, and scrutinizing the various websites. I was going between Banyan Tree, Trisara, and Amanpuri. In the end, I settled on three nights at the Banyan Tree and two nights at Trisara. In retrospect, I wish I had done all five nights at Trisara, or Amanpuri instead of the Banyan Tree, because our Banyan Tree experience was somewhat disappointing. It just did not have the sense of intimate luxury that Trisara did. It may have been the size of the place. It may have been it's location, inside Mickey-Mouse Laguna Phuket and on a golf course, causing my husband to liken the property to a Florida retirement community. Granted, our room was extremely nice, upgraded to a double pool villa, but on the lagoon with the beach no where in sight, we felt like we could have been anywhere in the world, not necessarily in Thailand. The beach experience was extremely sub-par: after the jaunt to get there, there was nonexistent service, with constant hammering and drilling noise of construction nearby, not at all relaxing. We didn't feel as "taken care of" as we did at The Four Seasons in Chiang Mai or Trisara. For the money, I would not go back.

• Stayed: May 2007
11  Thank SidneySeattle
Reviewed May 30, 2007

My husband an I stayed at the Banyan Tree Phuket for 3 nights in May 2007. Everything was perfect from start to finish. We had a pool villa which was just 2 minutes away from Banyan Tree's private beach. Every day we walked to the beach to go for a dip in the sea and then nap on the beach beds. The beach is really nice and clean and there were never many people around. We also enjoyed swimming in our own private pool and then soaking in the outdoor sunken bathtub. There are lots of geckos hanging out around the bathtub though (and sometimes even in the shower room), so be aware otherwise you might be startled.

The room always smelled really fresh with the burning incense and essence oil, which are supplied daily by the housekeeping. The bed and pillows are really comfortable and the room gets really dark once you close the sliding doors (even during day time). You have your own coffee machine. In the bathroom area you have separate boy/girl sinks and a beautiful amenities bag by each sink. Bathrobes and beach slippers are provided. You can take a buggy to get to anywhere within Banyan Tree. Outside of the Banyan Tree, there are shuttle buses and boats to take to the other hotels in the lagoon area.

There are plenty of seafood restaurants along the beach with great views of the sunset. There are lots of daily activities at the hotel - we went for the morning yoga lessons and the sailing lesson and really enjoyed them. We also went horseback riding at the beach around sunset one day, which was a lot of fun. We were very lucky to have had good weather during our entire stay except for the night we went for the spa - which was actually great since the rain added to the relaxation. Other than the spa, we also had Thai massages every night before going to sleep.

We had the most wonderful stay at the Banyan Tree. We enjoyed it so much we didn't even leave the lagoon area during our entire stay. We will definitely go back again.

Stayed: May 2007
12  Thank happy_voyager
Reviewed May 29, 2007

I just got back from my honeymoon, we stayed at banyan tree for 5 nights and it was amazing. I booked online through the online exclusive and got 1 night for free aswell as a 4 course dinner. I had booked a jacuzzin villa and upon arrival we got upgraded to a pool villa and let me tell you it was amazing. I think everybody that disses this hotel has very high expectation as i am extremely fussy and i LOVED the hotel i thought the service was amazing. I loved it and will def return in the future.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple