“Nice setting, not so great service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Banyan Tree Phuket

Banyan Tree Phuket
Ranked #19 of 95 Hotels in Thalang District
Manila
“Nice setting, not so great service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Nice setting, but service strictly by the book and below expectations for this price range. Also the whole complex wide spread (villas) so getting around requires buggies which can take quite some time to pick you up. Just to illustrate, two examples from our trip:

1) We planned this trip with friends and asked for villas next to each other. When we arrived around midnight, we learned that our friends got upgraded to another villa that was a good 10 minute buggy ride away. No other rooms were available so we settled for the night. Next day after asking 2 more times, we were offered an upgrade to a villa next to our friends,
but apparently the water heater was broken...water was luke warm which was fine for us so we agreed. All fine, but when we moved in hotel asked us to sign a letter that basically said we waive all our rights to complain about the lukewarm water. Not exactly the treatment I expect in a 5+ star hotel.

2) Then we had the Sunday brunch. Very nice food and I tried the Oysters. Not a good idea and I ended up with food poisoning. (can happen in best places i guess). When I called reception at night to ask if they have anything to help, they said that according to their policy they can not offer any medication...and that was that. Also never got an apology for the food poisoning. Guess thats their policy, but doesnt help me as a guest with stomach cramps.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank a9600210
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear a9600210,

I wish to thank you for this review on your previous stay with us at the Banyan Tree Phuket, and I am glad that you enjoyed the resort’s serene setting amid 90 acres of tropical gardens! It however disappoints me that you were dissatisfied with our service standard, please allow me to address the two concerns you mentioned in my response below.

Travelling together with your friends, we understand the importance of having villas allocated close to each other and we did our utmost to meet this request. Our Front Office team however informed me that upon check-in your friends requested an upgrade to one of our Two-Bedroom Pool Villas which are situated in another area of the resort. Due to our high occupancy on that day, we unfortunately were not able to offer you a nearer villa straightaway, I am however glad that our resort hosts were able to settle this problem to your satisfaction by offering you a complimentary upgrade to a Two-Bedroom Pool Villa on the following day.

Pertaining to your second comment, I am truly sorry that you experienced health problems during your vacation with us. After receiving your feedback, I immediately asked our hygiene officer to investigate the condition of our oysters, and her reports show that they were in perfect state as we received them on Friday and served them on Sunday while regularly checking their correct storage and temperature. Our Executive Chef and his team furthermore reconfirmed that no other guests had health problems after the Sunday Brunch, I do hope this reinstalls your trust in the quality of our food.
Although we certainly would have wished to assist you further than the electrolyte powder we had offered you, handing out medicine to guests is strictly forbidden for hotels and resorts to the benefit of our guests’ safety as wrong medication might lead to severe consequences. In these situations we therefore recommend to visit the doctor located at “Canal Village” within the Laguna complex which is only a five minutes’ drive by shuttle bus from our resort.

Although I understand from your review that you were not satisfied with the level of service provided at our resort, I do hope my responses above helped to clarify certain aspects that caused your disappointment. If your plans bring you back to Phuket in the future, we would be delighted to welcome you once more to deliver a true and memorable Banyan Tree experience!

Sriram Kailasam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
HKG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

As a fan of banyan tree resorts I've decided to make this big day happen at banyan tree laguna phuket..., my marriage proposal. From day one when i email the team there you feel their excitement the same as mine. Countless emails to make sure my ideas are well executed prior to arrival, secretive talks with me to confirm details when I arrived (that was fun), a surprised arrangement of romantic bath i didn't asked for..., all these are much appreciated as a true reflection to the banyan tree legacy by the team at phuket. I want to thank every staff at this resort for your dedication to excel in your profession. You've made this already a great place to stay an even better one, with memories of your pleasant smiles, friendly guidances, continuous hard work, and most of all, a "love what you do" mentality that impressed me most. "WE" as a couple will visit you again, thanks.

Room Tip: Choose Spa Pool Villas.
1 Thank Hansel T
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Hansel T;

The entire Banyan Tree Phuket Family is happy to have been part of this important event in your lives, your marriage proposal. At the same time, we are also thankful that you shared the detailed arrangements on which we worked together, in order to make of this a memory that will last forever. Romance and intimacy are two of the Banyan Tree’s key touchpoints. The more creative you are the more fun we can have. So thanks for inspiring all the readers to come and celebrate their special occasions with us., Banyan Tree is full of exciting plans and surprises for every single occasion.

Dear Hansel T, once again, we do appreciate your preference in choosing us, and look forward in hosting and surprising you again in a near future. Your room tip is indeed the perfect villa type for couples!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Taxi to Banyan tree is a minimum 700thb ( We found this number to be consistent with any taxi we needed to get to and from the hotel ( Rip off!!!) The taxis refuse to use metres!

When we arrived at Banyan Tree Phuket we were impressed with the service. We arrived around 4 we were tired, but the hostess was amazing. We were given flowers and escorted to a couch to relax with a welcome drink while they completed our check in process. The hostess drove our buggy ride to our villa where our luggage was already waiting for us. She explained about the laguna the restaurants the area and talked us through our room.

We were keen to take a bath/shower and relax and the only annoying thing is the bath hadn't been cleaned there was a dirty plaster in the bath. ( we wrote a note to cleaners to sort this out.)

We had break fast and it was extensive! On certain days we got these lovely lychee daiquiris and on other days we would have to ask and ask and ask again. We weren't sure if it was included in the breakfast or not.

The hotel is in a laguna, we didn't try any of the Banyan restaurants as we were out most of the day. The restaurant we did try recommended by the Hotel was Lotus. We ate here 4 nights. The food is reasonably priced. We were paying £10 each for food an drinks and amazing view of the beach.

We also tried Tonys located on the beach. The food just didn't cut it.

The pool is small but love the way it was designed. The steam room small very pretty design out side. The hotel could do with some minor repairs.

My main problem with Banyan is.... there is a free shuttle bus around the Laguna which is great ! BUT there no shuttle bus into Phuket town or the major attractions. The bus provided buy Banyan cost 700thb each one way so if that are two of you that's 2,800thb !!! Its cheaper to take a taxi which cost 700thb each way and the guy waits for you for 3 hrs. Come on Banyan sort it out.

Last problem not really Banyan's fault were the constant stares because we are BLACK! it just got very uncomfortable. That said it was all explained by a 5 year old Chinese girl who came to our table at breakfast and said " I have never seen any one with your colour" bless her she was sweet enough say what most were thinking.

Would I come back? Yes! the staff are lovely, the hotel is really good, They need to sort out their shuttle.

Room Tip: The pool villas
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cazbby,

Thanks so much for this great review on your stay with us, I really appreciate it!

Travelling all the way from London to Phuket was surely a tiring journey, and I am therefore very happy to hear that you felt revived the moment our resort host welcomed you with a refreshing drink and a smooth check-in!
From your feedback I understand that you had an overall very enjoyable getaway to our “Sanctuary for the Senses”, yet I would also like to take this opportunity to address the hiccups you encountered during your stay with us.

For the benefit of the readership, please allow me to correct the costs you stated regarding our shuttle service as our roundtrip transfer per person is of 650THB, meaning a couple pays 1,300THB for a visit to Phuket Town or Patong. This turns out slightly cheaper than the taxi fare which as you stated is of 1,400 for a round trip. Please excuse me if it was not communicated clearly. I shall remind our associates. Pertaining to the taxi fares you mentioned, these are unfortunately consistently across Phuket Island and we or for that matter any other resort have no influence over it. Me and other hoteliers are in constant talks with local authorities to address this issue, but I am glad to read that you enjoyed exploring the Laguna area with our shuttle bus!

The cocktails we serve during breakfast change on a daily basis and are indeed complimentary. Following your comment, I spoke to our F&B Director to make sure our associates offer these cocktails more proactively and consistently to all our guests.

Dear Cazbby, we are all very glad that you enjoyed your family vacation with us and are planning to return again! For your next visit, we hope you get the chance to try our restaurants too, we serve up a very succulent live seafood and jazz brunch every Sunday!

Warm regards from Banyan Tree Phuket,
Madison, WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

When we arrived at Banyan Tree Phuket we were immediately impressed with the service. We were given flowers and escorted to a couch to relax with a welcome drink while they completed our check in process. We were given a buggy ride to our villa where our luggage was already waiting for us. Over the course of the first few days of our visit we enjoyed the delicious food, the quiet beach, the beautiful pool and the best spa experience we ever had. It wasn't until one small glitch and the way the staff responded that our trip turned bad.

The jacuzzi in our villa was broken. We were disappointed this hadn't been checked prior to our arrival, but overall this was a minor issue. The maintenance staff spent some time trying to fix it, but were unsuccessful. After spending more than an hour (between the time we spent trying to get it started and the time the staff spent working on it) we called reception. We were promised a call back from a manager right away. We waited another 10-15 minutes with no response, so we called again. When we finally spoke to a manager they indicated they would move us to another room. They stated a buggy would arrive at 3:30 (about 2 hours later) to move us to our room. We packed our things and at 3:35 called to check as a buggy had not arrived. They had forgotten to send one. Shortly after our phone call, a buggy arrived and moved us to our next room. We entered the room and a quick scan showed that this room was also not ready for guests. There was a water bottle wrapper floating in the pool and snake skin in the pool and on the deck (pictures attached). After we pointed this out to the staff, the manager, Mr. Nu, arrived. He apologized for the uncleanliness and asked if we would still be willing to sleep in this room if he had another cleaning person come through because he said he was "very busy" that night. After traveling half way across the world and spending the extra money to stay at what is supposed to be one of the top resorts, we were totally dissatisfied with this answer. Particularly since all of this "busy work" could have been avoided if they had simply done the job right the first time (for example, checked our jacuzzi before we arrived or cleaned the room properly) Mr. Nu did some checking and it seems that there actually was a vacant villa. Perhaps he just didn't want to take the time to check. We were moved again to another room. At this point we had spent the majority of our day dealing with what should have been a minor issue with our room, rather than enjoying our vacation in Phuket. Mr. Nu promised that our bikes from our old room would be delivered to our new room so we could get around and not waste more of our day. When we got ready to leave for dinner (over 1 hour later) our bikes had still not arrived. I called Mr. Nu and he had forgotten to send for them. To make up for all of our inconvenience, Mr. Nu offered to arrange for an intimate setting in our villa that evening and a small gift certificate to the Banyan Tree store. We initially declined but he insisted. (We declined because we weren't looking for free stuff...just the working, clean facilities we had paid for...but to be honest an intimate evening and a very small gift certificate to the gallery on site wouldn't even begin to make up for the time we lost dealing with this mess). When we arrived home after dinner our villa looked amazing. Flowers, candles, chocolate, wine, and a beautiful bubble bath. Unfortunately, we quickly discovered that the satin sheets were stained (picture attached). Needless to say, that killed the romantic mood.

Overall, Banyan Tree does an amazing job with the unexpected. The add ons and amenities are fantastic. Unfortunately, they do a terrible job at the basics that you would expect from even a low end hotel...simple cleanliness. And while these are just examples of the things that stood out (there were more issues including a toilet in our room that never stopped running and a dirty placemat when we were seated at our "clean" table for breakfast), we were naturally left wondering how many other corners were cut with cleaning that we never realized. GROSS! A disappointing experience for an amazing facility.

5 Thank LeahH933
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Leah H,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking your time and sharing your valuable feedback with us and I have noted lack of consistency in our service delivery. I think you are spot on that in your case, we have not done the fundamentals well yet trying to deliver the exclamation points. We do manage to normally deliver both with aplomb but, in this case, we have clearly fallen short. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. I wanted to meet you before you left but, you had a very early departure and I could not catch up with you.

Please allow me to address your comments. The Jacuzzi was to be fixed and had actually been mentioned to the team as not ready but, there was an internal communication that led to you being let into the villa. We had a very busy check-in and check-out day and the team just did not pay attention to this detail. Furthermore, it is surprising and embarrassing that we put you in a villa with debris floating in the pool as the villa had just been cleaned. While our resort is busy now for most of the year, it is not an excuse for these service shortfalls. I have had a chat with the Heads of the Housekeeping, Pest Control and Engineering Departments and particularly with Mr. Nu, the Manager on Duty, in order to understand how this could have been missed and how we can avoid it.

On the other side, I am glad to read that there were some elements of your stay that you were satisfied with. In particular the welcoming process, the delicious food, quiet beach, the beautiful pool and the great experience at the Spa. Unfortunately, we were unable to execute a smooth service recovery which led to this poor but, fair review. We would love to have you back despite this stay and I will be writing a note to you separately. Rest assured that we have taken your comments seriously, as this is not the true Banyan Tree standard that we strive to maintain.

Dear Leah H, thanks once again for the feedback and renewed apologies,

Warm regards,

Alton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

The Banyan Tree was recommended by a work colleague as being better than the katathani beach resort we stayed at in June (further south from airport).

We stayed in a Spa villa which was about 5 mins walk from the main hotel reception block. The villa was walled, had its own pool, jacuzi, hot tub, bedroom that was glass lined on 3 sides with a pond around it as well as a superb quality interior. A high standard individual accommodation.

We opted for breakfast delivery each day and almost never left the villa even though the beach is only 10 mins walk.

So a quick summary
1. Staff were superb, courteous, friendly and always willing to help
2. Service was prompt and you felt like you were getting personal service with any requirements
3. Pool and facilities were cleaned daily and it didn't feel intrusive even if you stayed in the villa.

However (and the reason that this doesn't score 5*

4. The meals at the hotel restaurants are over priced. You'll pay €100/$125 for 2 people on a simple 3 course and beers. In the middle of London, yes that's fine. But when you can walk 6 mins to the Lotus Restaurant on the beach and pay €35 for the same meal then you are ripping customers off. Equally the TRE French/Vietnamese restaurant was awful, poor quality food and poor menu.
Japanese restaurant was excellent if expensive.
So my advice is eat out.

Finally if you're going to dig up floors with jack hammers in the villas nearby then don't do it when your customer has paid €400 a night for peace and tranquility. I shouldn't have to ask 3 times for he work to be stopped over 3 days.

So this has the potential to be good but doesn't quite hit the mark compared to Katathani Beach Resort.

Oh and ask for a mattress topper unless you like prison bed comfort

3 Thank riverhouse95
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear riverhouse95,

We highly appreciate your gesture and thank you for sharing your valuable feedback on your recent stay in one of our Banyan Tree Spa Sanctuary Villas. I am delighted to read that you liked the high quality private villa accommodation, the unique and memorable hospitality of our associates, our services and overall facilities. It really encourages us to continue exceeding guest expectations.

Concerning your comments about the prices of our restaurants, I would like to share and ensure you that all are fairly aligned with the luxury resorts in this area. Although we are glad to know that you enjoyed the Japanese cuisine at Tamarind, we also take note that Tre Restaurant was not able to meet your expectations. Please rest assured that your comments have been passed on to our Executive Chef to take immediate actions on the quality of food and menu selection.

In regards to the works in the villas nearby, we were carrying out some necessary maintenance work as quietly as possible for our yearly Villa Maintenance Program. I do offer my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.

Dear riverhouse95, thank you again for sharing your experience in such an important forum. I certainly do hope that despite these shortfalls, you enjoyed the rest of your stay at our resort. We look forward welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Phuket soon, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable Banyan Tree experience in every single way.

Best regards,

Sriram Kailasam,
Whittier, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was a little reluctant due to the high price of this resort, but it really impressed me. We were upgraded to a pool villa from the lower-end room I had booked and it was all just fantastic from there on. This truly IS a super romantic place! HUGE property, and even when it's packed out it still seems quiet and intimate. At night the soft glow of lights along the paths really add to the atmosphere. Room was gorgeous! Outdoor sunken bathtub and that private pool and backyard...wow! Beach was really close but unfortunately it was too stormy during our stay to really enjoy. Staff was super friendly and efficient, no problems at all. The only drawback I found was the Thai restaurant (Saffron) and the Japanese restaurant onsite...the food was just mediocre and the prices sky-high. The French restaurant, Tre, was pretty amazing though (although not cheap). The included breakfast was really good with a large variety of different foods. I would TOTALLY recommend the Banyan Tree for a couples retreat!!

Room Tip: Get the Pool Villa!!
3 Thank jason r
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

If you are expecting to be in a 4.5 star hotel forget about it. At best you are I would give it a 3 star rating. The rooms are very old and very tired .This hotel needs a major renovation of it's rooms .I would never go back to it again . The breakfast was great , the elephant was unbelievably cute and wonderful to see and take pictures with .But the rooms were old and very undesirable .
The location ,although in a very good area it's not close to anything major .It's not by the beach ,which is the reason you are in Phuket to begin with ,and it's not in the city which is the other real attraction . Not recommended .

Dear Ronnie N,

Thank you for the review on your recent stay with us, I appreciate your honest feedback and am glad to hear that you enjoyed meeting Lucky our baby elephant.

Nevertheless, I wish to apologize that your stay with us was not up to your expectations which I believe was mainly due to the unsatisfactory condition of your villa.
Following your comments, our Chief Engineer has scheduled the deluxe villa that you initially stayed in for our annual maintenance program in order to ensure that the issues you addressed will be taken care of immediately. During this maintenance program, the villa is going to close for three weeks in order to be fully reconditioned.

I certainly respect your feedback on the resort’s location, yet I do believe that this is a matter of preferences as most of our guests choose the Banyan Tree Phuket because of its serene surroundings in comparison to the crowded and busy city areas. During your vacation, I do hope you had the chance to visit the Laguna Phuket environs which include more than 30 restaurants, a shopping area as well as a beach club.

Ronnie N, I thank you for making the effort to give us your valuable feedback and please accept my sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced. I do hope that this one stay will not mar your perception of Banyan Tree as a whole.