“Awesome!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 94 Hotels in Thalang District
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

My family of 5 stayed in the Deluxe Two Bedroom Pool Villa and it was the best decision that we made. The cleanliness of the room, the private spaces and having ones own private pool and jacuzzi made a day after excursions VERY enjoyable and intimate with the family.

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and the staff went out of their way to help us. Thank you to EVERYONE at Banyan Tree.

The reason for a 4 for Location depends entirely on the holiday you are expecting. If you looking to have a quiet holiday and access to a lovely beach with minimal travelling to the south of Phuket then Banyan Tree is perfect! Should you want to see more then you will need to be prepared for a drive to get down South. I enjoyed being away from the busyness of the more popular areas and the travel to a Thai boxing event was not too bad even though it took an hour from Patong. Expect to pay between 700 & 900 BAHT per trip

Value: Banyan Tree is pricey but for me it was an awesome experience that I would pay for again. Good quality and service do come at a price.

In terms of The Banyan Tree food, I cannot remember a single reason to complain and I enjoyed trying the various Thai cuisines even the VERY hot ones. Breakfast was a treat as I was exposed to fruits that I did not even know existed, the mangos were delicious. We mostly ate dinner in our villa by ordering from in-room dining which was an experience in itself. Awesome food delivered to the villa (within half-an-hour), dining room table setup for you to eat as if you were in a restaurant and then after the meal the dining experienced cleaned up and taken away!!! Well done Banyan Tree!! (I regret not trying the in-room barbecue)

The beach is clean and there are a number of bars and restaurants to choose from. The beach services are ever willing to make your day at the beach a wonderful experience.

The grounds are beautiful and extensive and I suggest that you get a bicycle from the Fitness Centre and ride around to see the resort. If you are not keen on cycling there are buggies (golf-carts) that will happily fetch you and take you were you want to go.

If you want to plan excursions I strongly suggest that you use the services of the people at the hotel rather than elsewhere. They know that their customers require good quality outings and they have ensured that the companies they have selected deliver quality service and products. Trust me I speak from experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

1 Thank Photios L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Returned to Banyan Tree Phuket for the 10th time and it was as brilliant as ever. Stayed in a Spa Pool Villa this time which was truly stunning. Excellent service, housekeeping, food, staff , accommodation.. cannot fault it . Beautiful Bangtao beach and the warm Andaman sea on the doorstep .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

3 Thank Christine B
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband booked this trip for our 20th anniversary. I cried upon entering our private pool villa. Felt like I was in my own Thai paradise. Loved that it had a local feel instead of the bland normal room. I found it to be so cozy. Loved laying in bed and looking out the doors to the pool and pagoda. Large plants allowed maximum privacy. Beach is beautiful. Staff is exceptional. Very relaxing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Have visited Phuket several times.

The Banyantree is located at the Laguna, a small area/property consisting of 5x 5* resorts, around 30 minutes by car from the airport, located tin Talang.

Besides these hotels, there is not so much anything nearby, all has to be done by taxi which is easy but will cost you 20 minutes.

Nearby is Kamala which has been booming the last couple of years into a millionaires row - tip: Laem sing beach, true paradise. Further is Patong beach - if you read this review you are potentially interested in the Banyantree and my guess is you won't be attracted to patong..maybe just for 1 night, strolling around..it's basically one open air red light district with shows and many many girls.

Good, now the great Banyantree - Singaporian owned. It is/was the flagship of the chain, which grew hard in the last 10 years. The resorts becomes a bit older but is still stunning. Nice villa's and great staff. Definitely, go for a pool vila and forget Jaccuzi villa's. The SPA is perfect, Golf as well...nice 18-hole course.

The resort is not directly to the beach, you need the buggy to bring you there and the beach is public, but security is there. Are you a true beach visitor, consider The Dusit on the same Laguna.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Michiel1978
North Shields, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a deluxe pool villa with our family. The villa was superb; spacious, well appointed and comfortable, although there was no view except in to the private pool and one of the bedrooms was a little gloomy. Being some way from the dining areas we had to rely on the buggy service which was not always prompt. The breakfast offered a huge choice and the food was generally good, but it was a pity the the coffee was so awful. It tasted stewed and was thick. By comparison, our next hotel in Laos used a coffee machine and fresh beans for each cup giving a perfect brew each time. I am a fitness fanatic and found the gym rather limited. On my first visit there were 8 guests plus me, but with only 5 aerobic workout machines I had to queue for the concept 2 rower and then for the stepper and the bicycle. In contrast the golf facilities were good and the staff extremely well organised in dealing with our clubs etc. the food in the golf club was ordinary and we were never served at the same time. The service here needs improvement.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank NorthShieldsJohn
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear NorthShieldsJohn,

Thank you for a great review. I truly appreciate the positive aspects. I also take note of your compliments regarding our deluxe pool villa and am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience at the golf facilities.

Although I am surprised to hear that you did not like our coffee, I shall investigate. Our coffee is brewed fresh individually from an Italian coffee machine and not made in a coffee urn as the volume is relatively low. If you felt it was not fresh, then it maybe an errant batch or a reused coffee beans. Not wanting to speculate, I shall have my Director F&B look into it. The Banyan Café is a fairly busy restaurant and every attempt is made to serve food all together. However, if there is a large table and food is ready on the counter, it is served immediately. Being a café we keep it informal yet efficient. You can rest assured, we will work on it.

Pertaining to the buggy service, December and January are busy periods and there are certain peak times when it does take time given the size of the resort. To mitigate this we have provided all our guests with bikes, so they have the independence to move around without waiting. I do apologize for the wait.

Dear NorthShieldsJohn, your feedback is very much appreciated. I sincerely hope that you will not let this one mar your impression of Banyan Tree Phuket and you will give us one more chance to return to our resort.

Warm regards,

Sriram Kailasam
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed in 2 garden villas over Christmas. The resort itself is well manicured and the staff is first class. We are beach people and after breakfast each day we headed to the beach, sunned, and treated ourselves to daily beach massages.
We enjoyed the villas, but I was a bit disappointed that there were no electrical outlets (except a shaver outlet) near the dual sinks with mirrors. If you wanted to plug in curlers, you had to go into the main room and do without a mirror. For a 5 star resort, this should not happen.
We enjoyed the daily breakfast and loved the elephant who visited each day. My only complaint about the food is that non-breakfast meals, and dinners in particular , we're very expensive . I kinda get the Christmas Wve dinner (although it was priced at $250 per person)... But the dinner buffets on any general night were even expensive $80 per person. The buffet was just not that special.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Banyan Tee. A few modifications would make it truly world class.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

fresh from a lovely stay in banyan tree bintan, we had high expectations. however, when my family if 5 checked into the deluxe 2 bedroom pool villa, we were slightly disappointed. the room had no view whatsoever, and was surrounded by tall plants. the room was quite small for the price we were paying for it. however the swimming pool was great, the kids really enjoyed. the resort has hardly any access to the beach, and no rooms face it. however, the service was good and the food excellent. kids will really enjoy the main swimming pool. all in all a good not great stay after the stunning banyan tree bin tan

Room Tip: Get a room with a pool.