“Our 6th stay at this lovely hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Banyan Tree Phuket

Banyan Tree Phuket
Ranked #18 of 94 Hotels in Thalang District
Florida
“Our 6th stay at this lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We have been coming to the Banyan Tree in Phuket for 15 years and what keeps us coming back? The property and the service! In Phuket one is spoiled with choice in the luxury hotel market. But the Banyan Tree is the best of all, whether you are travelling with children (as we have on many occasions in the past) or as a romantic getaway for two. The Banyan Tree is located within the Laguna Resort area which means one has the use of the facilities at the other hotels as well. In addition to the wonderful 4 restaurants at the Banyan Tree, you can eat at any of the other restaurants within the complex, including the phenomenal Thai restaurant at the Dusit Thani. We have played golf at the Laguna Golf Club (that shares the main entrance with the Banyan Tree), gotten certified as a family for scuba diving, using the Sheraton Hotel's dive shop and pool. When the children were very little, we also used the Sheraton pools and play area, as the Banyan Tree does not have those options for really little ones. The beach is one of the longest in Phuket -- some 4 miles long, with gorgeous sand and shade in the morning for good morning jogs and of course the perfect spot to watch the sun go down in the evening. Along the beach front there are also wonderful casual and inexpensive restaurants serving Thai food. Our favorite is Lotus -- a leisurely walk down the beach from the hotel. There is also a really cool bar, called Reggae which is our favorite for watching the sun go down over a cold drink in the evening. (They also now rent stand up paddle boards.) We have stayed in every type of villa the resort offers. With children, our favorite is the deluxe two bedroom pool villas, which is a walled complex with a long pool and jacuzzi. I would NOT stay here with toddlers who don't swim as the bedroom and living room open straight on to the pool area. These villas afford absolute privacy. The most attractive style of villa are the double pool villas, with floating bedrooms surrounded by lily ponds. But these are fitted out with slick marble which makes using the pools tricky with kids and for honeymooners, the pool areas face directly onto internal lagoons, so you can see what all your neighbors are doing around their pools (and vice versa #@!). Once we messed up our reservations at Easter and spent one night spread out among 3 of the smallest villas and they were very lovely and private with mature tropical plantings and a small outdoor jacuzzi. This past weekend we stayed for the first time in the Spa Pool Sanctuary villas. These have a private entrance which made check in an easy process but we sort of missed arriving in the stunning main lobby of the hotel! There are 14 villas in this section, 10 that face the lagoon (and have the same privacy issues at the double pool villas) and 4 that have a water fountain wall at the end of the pool area. We chose the one with the privacy and the lovely sound of running water. The pool was long with a heated jacuzzi tub that spilled into the pool. In addition there were two built in lounges in the pool that had their own bubbling units. At the end of the pool next to the wall fountain was a sala for massages. The bedroom was a floating room surrounded by lily pads and there was a steam room as well as an outdoor bathtub in the master bath. As part of the "sanctuary", we were treated to a romantic surprise at turn down service every night. The first night we arrived to find that the sheets on the bed had been changed to soft silk sheets, there was a bottle of sparkling pomegranite juice in an ice bucket with candles lit all around the room and flowers strewn across the bed. The second night there were flowers and candles in the bathroom and a whole spa treatment of scrubs presented in the steam shower. The last night we found chocolates, a bottle of red wine, body oil and the outdoor bathtub full of floating orchids. Not to mention lots and lots of flickering candles. WOW! It was lovely. We had a spa treatment every day. Our favorite treatment rooms are the outdoor salas that are villas surrounded by water in a private garden area. To have a lovely massage with the sound of running water and birdsong is heaven on earth. Remember to request an outdoor treatment room when making the booking! This time the hotel was only 70% occupied so we had no trouble playing it by ear in terms of tee times, spa treatments and restaurant bookings. If you go during a busier time of year, be sure to book a dinner every night, RESERVE BIKES for your stay! (they never have enough which is just stupid and annoying), get tee times and spa appointments. You can always change things around when you see what you like, but at least you won't be frustrated. We came home yesterday well rested and so very pleased to have had such a lovely time again. There are a few things I would change to make this the totally perfect experience: a better mattress on the beds (the Thai style hard mattress is a sleep killer), our villa needed a face lift -- new cushions outside and tiles repaired, and really there need to be more bicycles in better condition (my husband's lacked effective brakes). But these were minor imperfections in an otherwise perfect vacation experience. We will be back!

Room Tip: If you stay in the spa sanctuary villas, ask for a non-lagoon facing one. We stayed in Villa 220 and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pfpedersen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dongguan, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I've always wanted to stay at a Banyan Tree Resort and I finally treated my girlfriend and my self on this trip to Phuket. Everything was just perfect except for 1 issue, they did not have bicycles for me to use while staying there! Although this is a small issue, but it is a very frustrating issue! Other travellers were also angry that they could not borrow bicycles!

Room Tip: Pool villa is a must!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lincoln L
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed in one of the spa pool villas with my boyfriend for 3 nights. A bit of a long wait at the lobby to get into our villa, but the friendly staff kept us well entertained by explaining all the amenities and activities offered by the hotel. When we were escorted to our villa, I was in awe as I felt like I've walked into a paradise. I especially love the "floating" bedroom and the private pool. However, I was disappointed that the jacuzzi in our villa was broken. In addition, some of the furniture looked quite run down on closer inspection. There were a lot of mosquitoes, bugs, frogs and geckos in the outdoor area of the villa, so bug repellant is a must when swimming or eating outside.

Despite the little flaws mentioned, I was overall very satisfied with my stay at the Banyan Tree mainly because of the helpful and friendly staff everywhere (who all speak excellent English btw). Last but not least, the resort restaurants that I tried were also spectacular. The breakfast buffet offered great variety and the Thai food at saffron was out of this world.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Maggie S
Kochi (Cochin), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

With the boredom of city life really kicking onto my behind, I decided to take a break from the bustling traffic and acrophobia causing skyscrapers and travel to Phuket to enjoy the white beaches and the crystal clear tranquil sea. Although I wouldn’t call myself an extensive traveller, visiting new countries and understanding their tangible and intangible heritage has always been my passion. After travelling around Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga, I decided to dig a little more deep inside my pocket and give myself a royal treat. Hence, doing some research on some of the luxury brands of resorts in Phuket brought me to the world of Banyan Tree where I decided to spent my last night.

Set in an area of 89 acres, the Banyan Tree Resort certainly deserves a word of boasting for its slick yet traditional design. Describing the resort as “Breathtaking” would be an understatement as the property is definitely beyond that. With every room designed in a manner where it does not disturb the surrounding flora and fauna, the Banyan Tree villas are of top notch quality with an equally superior level of service. The presentation of the villa is what fascinated me the most as the sliding door from the room takes you directly to the pool.
Well of course, the presentation of the villa and the physical beauty of the property is just one part of it, which brings me to their restaurant outlets. The food was simply exquisite, especially at the ‘Saffron’ where every dish lights up your taste buds with the rich aroma of the Thai flavors. The overall atmosphere in all the outlets, the attentiveness and the way the staffs treat you and the other guests is truly a remarkable experience, both for your taste buds and for your mind.

The Banyan Tree experience can never be complete without having to mention their level of service. The care and respect that the staffs showers upon the guests is truly a symbol of well structured hospitality that the resort has successfully implemented to make sure every guest is given equal levels of care and attentiveness.

The occasional pessimist inside me tried my best to find atleast one negative point which I would have loved to share, but I guess being a pragmatist is what Banyan Tree is all about by creating an identity that is closely associated with the quality of the product and the guest experience it provides. As my short stay in Phuket came to an end, the only thing I can say is that the icing on the cake of this amazing trip was definitely the night I spent with Banyan Tree.

As I boarded my flight back home and looked out of the aircraft window into the luscious green islands and the light blue oceans that surround it, I couldn’t help but admire the aesthetic sense of the artist in God that created the pearl of the Andaman with so much undivided care, love and attention. As my flight sails into the evening sky, I wish that the memories of Phuket and the wonderful time I spent with Banyan Tree stay within me and keep me happy for the days to come.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Govind E
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Banyan Tree Phuket is far from Banyan Tree standard but more akin to a mass-market version of the Banyan Tree experience. In a nutshell that's precisely what it is. Seemingly hundreds of rooms and villas make this probably the largest Banyan Trees around and with that comes a dumbing-down of the service as well as facilities. Many of the amenities from the stereo to the equipment in the kitchenette are Soviet-era and ooze dust and oily grease ... not luxury! Having said that the 2-bedroom villa is perfect for a holidaying family. The layout of the villa enables you to keep an eye on your children playing in or around the pool while the parents read and thoughtful details like all-round screens on the doors mean the entire villa can be mosquito-proofed while still maintaining connectivity to the outside.
One thing that is truly Banyan Tree grade is the spa - without doubt one of the best spa experiences to be had in Phuket. Priced at luxury levels it may not be for everyone or within everyone's price-tag but being in the middle of the Laguna complex you do have plenty of options for massage from high to low end. It's up to you.
Free bicycles for each guest for the entirety of their stay means you do have options to get out and about and also makes you feel like you earned the gargantuan buffet breakfast after the 3-5 minute bike ride to get there!
Surprisingly for a property that was at 80% capacity only 1 restaurant was open during our stay. Not only is that odd but is a lost opportunity for the property.
I would recommend Banyan Tree Phuket for a cost-conscious traveller seeking a bit of luxury. Ditch the meals from the one restaurant that might be open and take a bike ride down the street to get authentic Thai at a local price.

Room Tip: Try and find out the demographics of the guests next door. If you want peace and quiet you may not w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank LuxeTravelerHK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at Banyan Tree the last leg of our month long Asia trip!! After checking into the resort my husband and I both wished we had booked for more than one night. The rooms and grounds were beautiful. The service was excellent and the location was fantastic! The only slight drawback we experienced was that during our excursion into Phuket town using the shuttle service, the driver took us to a Pearl Factory outlet and told us that this tour was "free of charge". If we had known this was a gimmick to get us to buy jewelry we would have definitely declined this tour. This was the only drawback to an otherwise perfect end to our trip. During our short stay we were delighted by everything Banyan Tree offered!!! We will definitely be recommending this resort to all our friends and family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

4 Thank leelee1220
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed for a week in the 2 bedroom pool villa and had high expectations for the 5* banyan tree brand, but were disappointed especially given the money we paid. I travel frequently on business and for holidays and have stayed at many 5* hotels before.

Firstly, the place is infested with mosquitos, flies, centipedes and lizards, as its close to the large lagoon and golf course. We expected insects in tropical Thailand, but not this many. It's is also my second time to phuket and was nowhere near as bad as before. We use reppellent but still had bites all over.

Secondly, the gym was not well cleaned or maintained. After touching the bar handles, my hands stunk of bad bad BO. They did not supply alcohol wipes and when we pointed it out to the staff that the handles smell, they didnt clean it straight away and just dismissed us by saying its cleaned everyday. We have been to many gyms back home and at other hotels, and have never experienced this problem before.

Thirdly, housekeeping was not very consistent. Eg, toiletries we used, such as cotton balls, etc, were only supplied on the first day and not replaced daily. We had to make a special request for items to b restocked (not up to 5* standard).

Fourthly, the toilet didn't flush properly and the jacuzzi outside was dirty and didn't work properly. Overall the villa was nice, but a bit run down and not well maintained.

Fifth, buffet breakfast was a bit disappointing. Choice was limited compared to other 5* hotels and again, insects and fruit flies were hovering around the food buffet area. It was the first time I struggled to find something nice to eat for breakfast. The coffee was good though.

It's these small things that really make a difference.

On the positive side:
- staff were friendly
- pool inside the villa was nice, can jump in from the bedroom.
- saffron restaurant food was excellent, and the free photo was a nice gesture.
- tre was also nice but because its outdoors, expect to be bitten by mosquitos.
- spa and therapists were great, went twice. Much better than the spas outside around laguna area and in patong, though obviously, expect to pay more in banyan tree spa.

Overall, it was an ok holiday, but for 5* and price we paid, it was disappointing.

Next time I go to phuket, we will go back to staying at radisson plaza blu.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Swswswsw
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Swswswsw,

Thank you very much for posting your candit and detailed comments about your recent stay at Banyan Tree Phuket, and please accept my sincere apologies if we fell short of your expectations.

The issues related to maintenance and housekeeping are well below our norms and unacceptable standards, and will be immediately addressed. As regards to the insects, as you might have noticed being the resort in a wooded area close to the sea, makes it a natural habitat for insects. We do take all the precautions to protect our guests, however the added challenge is that this being the rainy season, the mosquitoes do increase but, I have not heard of centipedes in any of our villas; however, I will have my pest control partner and Executive Housekeeper check all the villas, again just as a preventative measure.

As pertains to breakfast, at the expense of sounding defensive, I am genuinely surprised to hear this feedback because as you might notice on this forum alone, breakfast is consistently rated very high, as it is a brunch.. Just to add on, to further elaborate on our efforts to ensure guest have a satisfying dining experience, we make a genuine effort to cater to a wide variety of tastes, preferences and dietary requirements providing vegetarian, healthy choices, Asian, Western, regional selections in addition to the usual pastries, cheeses, cereals etc. However, I would appreciate any specific feedback you might have to our reservations office as we are happy to be critiqued and see how best we can improve ourselves in order to meet a wider and varied spectrum of patrons needs.

On the other hand, Swswswsw, I appreciate your positive feedback and your gracious compliments to our F&B team, Spa and associates. These comments show and encourage us to learn from our mistakes while maintaining our strengths. I genuinely hope that, in spite of your wish to go to another hotel, you will visit us for our cuisine and service. I also hope that in due course of time, you will return to give us a chance to redeem and reinstate ourselves in your good faith.

Warm regards,