“Rude staff poor service and what happen to the English breakfast no bacon no sausage but same price...”
Review of Bake

Bake
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Please first let me said we used to like this place. But in the last couple of visits they have gone steadily down hill. Maybe is because we live in Thailand and you get used to people greeting you and being polite. Not the case here. And the breakfast they served used to be nice, what happened? If you are planning on going there I suggest you read below.

This morning I was there with my son for breakfast, the staff literally yells in a military kind of voice were to seat, demands the order to be done speedily, and then with a frown insist on you have to paid immediately! We were not even seated in our table....It felt like being in a cafetaria in East Germany before the wall came down! I was wondering why this happened, could it be the increasing number of Russians in the area? Is the staff overworked? Whatever the reason, I was about to walk out and leave had I been alone I would have done that. To say they are rude is to put it mildly.

Then something happen to the food as well, the English breakfast used to be good, not the best on the island but ok. It had sausage and bacon, today I ordered the English breakfast and oh surprised now it consists on two industrial kind of eggs seating on a white un-toasted mold bread. Where did the bacon and sausage go to? I don't know but they are still charging a whooping 390thb for it. For less than 300thb you can have a great English breakfast at Lady Pie (less than one km away)which is a million times better than that mock up English breakfast they serve here.

No benefit of the doubt here, poor service, rude staff, the breakfast was a rip off for that price and not what used to be served. What a joke.

1  Thank Gonzalo L
There are newer reviews for Bake

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I have eaten at Bake (and the other restaurants in the complex) since it opened. In its early days, the service experience was on a par with the parent Twin Palms hotel (which I've also dined in many times over the years).

In more recent months, I have noticed a marked decline is service. While the F&B on offer is all very well prepared and presented, and while it all tastes excellent - there's more to a 5-star experience than just the F&B on offer. Maybe the staff have simply been having "off days" each time I have visited recently. Maybe it's just a sign of the times on Phuket - and island where I'm finding the traditional customer and visitor values that Thailand is proud of being renowned for (the land of smiles) are sadly lacking in more and more of the people at the sharp end of service here.

Whatever the reason, the parent Twin Palms should address the shortcomings. In today's super-connected and no-place-to-hide world, a sloppy reputaion will spread faster than ever and reach exponentially more people than ever (thanks to Trip Advisor and other platforms like it).

This is a good thing for business. But only if the people and organisations concerned treat customer service with the respect that they should. It's the only REAL way that service providers can differentiate these days.

If their attitude is more " .... well we're always busy and we make lots of money anyway ...." - then in return I'd simply say .... how much better could your business be? The difference between an "OK" business and a "world-class" business is substantial, but in small areas. Service being one of the key factors.

If there's no change in customer experience, then I will be finding an alternative place for coffee and croissants (and all of the other culinary delights on offer). And there are plenty of aletrnatives on the island ....

Come on Twin Palms. Buck up and get your staff properly trained to deliver the 5-star service I'm sure you want to be recognised for. Or stop hiring people with low work motivation who don't take great pride in delivering outstanding customer service.

2  Thank David M
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Bake/Flame etc. is not as good as before - and I visited the place many times in recent years since their opening. If you can stand long waiting for getting seated under the heat of the ovens, you will still need to remain cold-blooded for facing their "service". It is perhaps the only place in Thailand, the "land of smiles', where you won't see a smile. Instead, you will be treated on "Do not like? - Walk away!" system. I did not liked Bake this year, so I am walking away.

The details:
- tired waitresses (2-3 people altogether), cannot really serve all the tables at peak time
- they cannot manage incoming customers, there is no clear queuing system/area. Guests keep coming from three directions, trying to occupy first available table in a random order while the staff pay little attention to watching over the line (and there was a line!). They don't care - go fight for your table yourself. If you try to complain, their answer is always "do not like - walk away!"
- the bill contained canceled items. It was not their attempt to cheat but a lack of care. They were simply "too busy" (too busy to do their job, to serve a customer)
- we were 3 minutes late for sushi (just three minutes, assuming their very strange working hours till 9:30 p.m, not 9 or 10 sharp), the sushi chef was still there, everything seemed working but they refused to accept the order. Since we really were late, no matter how minor was the delay, it is not the reason for my complain. The reason is their quite unfriendly service style - again, it was "do not like - walk away!" without a smile.

I can understand these points are all related to their management problem and lack of enough staff in the peak season. They were tired. I do understand this, but who cares?..

Good, quality food (4-5 star) and terrible service (1-2 star - at least, we were not beaten, after all :-), moderate price, so it is 3 star.

Avoid Bake if you are sensitive for the service and the attitude. Not enough cooling except bakery pavillion.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Our meal was very good at the flame. The kebabs and the split roasted chicken were amazing. It was an enjoyable meal after a week of thai food and it catered for all tastes. Good value and worth the visit.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Have visited the Laguna area branch many, many times, mainly for takeaway breads, croissants & pastries. All Very good quality. Recently stopped by their branch near Central Festival. Excellent service & coffee plus cakes to die for. Perfect antidote to living just on the local cuisine.