Tenta Nakara is a tented resort on the island of Koh Naka, which is a few kms off the north east coast of Phuket. The resort is reached by long-tail boat from Ao Po pier - a journey which takes less than 20 minutes.
My (adult aged) daughter and I stayed for 4 nights during April/May 2011. I chose Tenta Nakara because we were both in need of some "chill out" time to re-charge our batteries and it looked well suited for this purpose.
It turns out I chose well! The resort is beautiful, charming and rustic. Potential guests should bear in mind that there is no electricity in the rooms - so no air-conditioning, hot water etc. Even though the rooms are under cover, we found they were too warm to rest in during the heat of the afternoon. However there was a comfortable hammock on the balcony. Alternatively the beach chairs under shady trees had a lovely cooling breeze. Perfect.
The bed was fairly firm, but comfortable enough. There's very little man-made noise to disturb you. Just insects, birds and monkeys howling in the distance from time to time. One night there was a thunderstorm and I loved listening to the rain and thunder. By design, only half of the bathroom has a roof, so you shower in the sunshine, under the blue skies. A cold (well, "cool" would be more accurate) water shower in the morning was definitely refreshing. Invigorating actually!
They run a generator at the restaurant in the evening from 6-10pm, so you can recharge any electronic devices should you need to.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. Beers were cold. Food was great. Reasonable prices. We did a half day snorkelling trip to Koh Kai one day. Snorkelling was good but the island itself was too crowded for me, so I was glad to get back to the peace and calm of Koh Naka.
The resort has a kayak or two for guest use and they provide Thai massage services that need to be pre-booked. There's not a lot else to do there. So it's the sort of place you go with your Kindle (or a good book), take long walks on the beach, swim, relax and just unwind.
If you're think of going I suggest checking the rates at Thaiotel.com. That's where I found the best deal.
In summary, my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would be only too happy to visit again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Possibly the only Luxury Tent-Island Resort in Phuket. The limited use of this small-unspoiled Island hideaway enhances the genuine feeling of inner peace. Guests are provided with oil lamps and candles used for light while electricity are generated and used only in the restaurant area. Luxury tent accommodations under the palm trees and the stars in permanent tent structures comfortably furnished with wooden floors, raised 6 ft. bed, en suite bathroom. Chill out at your own outdoor terrace. All units have magnificent view of Phang Nga Bay and stunning beauty of surrounding islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tenta Nakara reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tenta Nakara Hotel Thalang
- Tenta Nakara Phuket, Thailand