“Good, but not quite there.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Kris Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Kris Resort
Ranked #81 of 94 Hotels in Thalang District
Auckland, New Zealand
“Good, but not quite there.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2010

Stayed here for 9 nights. Got a very good deal from a 3rd party web site. generally the 9 nights were pleasant. I would be furious if I am paying full price for this though. The property itself is actually quite nice, but problems lie mainly in management I feel. It suffer a mild form of Mickey mouse management syndrome. Service from all staff are pleasant to be fair. There are just far too many annoyance then delights. Annoyance No.1, It took 2 days and twice requesting for an in-room dining menu to be brought up. 2. Menu is a flimsy ink-stained piece of pink paper. 3. Room is so dark in teh evenings, forget about bedtime reading here. All bulbs are tiny light savings ones. 4.areas around the lobby and corridor are dark at night time as management seems to like to switch lights off to save a few $$. there were plenty of light fixtures which werent' turn on. 5.As I had the cheap rate so breakfast had to be paid for. You get a piece a paper and tick what you would like to have, no explanation to what you can get etc. if I tick just the coffee do I pay the same price? Waiting staff are always hiding behind counters and doens't seems very interested. For 280bht I got 2 friend eggs, 2 slices of bacon thats it. I didnt tick coffee on the list as I asume it is common knowledge to offer tea and coffee? As it seems here, you don't ask you don't get. Is it really that difficult to ask? What a joke this is! You can walk out the resort have the same for a lot less. Had dinner one night at the so called rooftop japanese restaurant, what a joke this is. There is always a sense of untidiness at this property. There were furniture but no cusions. 6. There was always an important looking gentlemen on site, I assume him to be the owner. For the 9 nights there, not a single greeting. In such a competitive environment such as Phuket they must be kidding themselves there. 7. Pool side furnitures are provided but where were the cusions? Sitting on hardwood for a long period is not nice. 8. Please get your own name right! Is it 'The Kris resort' or "the Kris boutique resort". It caused great difficulties in searching for you online,eg. of Mickey Mouse syndrome. 9. Please do something about that rooftop garden, it looks a mess! Get rid of all those leaning pot plants, just the grass would have been soo much better. 10. Please get some proper umbrellas for the pool areas. The ones you got makes the place look cheap and nasty.

I just think what a shame!! Nice property which can be sooo much more. Without an upgrade or a change of management this place is literally running itself into the ground. With proper management and marketing and a general upgrade of services etc. I am happy to come back. If it is run a bit more professionally, I dont think they will have to lower their rate to this rediculous level to attract occupancy. If you are after some personality and atmosphere, you can very well forget about it.

The good points are, quiet area for a good night sleep, resort is generally clean. housekeeping is generally good. Good lap pool by the restaurant.

Stay here with discounted rates only. Not worth the listed price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

The Good;
The room was nice. It was relatively spacious, had nice new fittings and the price was pretty good for a pool access room -2500THB. The staff were fine, their english wasn't great but friendly.

The Average ;
Not really close to the beach but not too far, the atmosphere at ether of the beaches wasnt right for us. Bang Tao seemed to be mostly frequented by semi/retired persons or families and Surin was very busy and not the relaxed feel we were after.

The Bad;
We actually paid 280THB each for breakfast one morning and it was a pretty bad breakfast, I wouldn't have paid 50THB for it.
On our second night there we had a few too many changs by the pool and ended up passing out without locking the sliding door, I woke up with a bit of a changover around about 4ish and couldn't get back to sleep, I heard weird noises that sounded like someone was in our room, I woke up my partner and he told me to go back to sleep, my head hurt too much anyway so I lay there hearing things for a bit and even opened my eyes once to see a small blue light against one wall, I was convinced someone was in our room so kept opening my eyes and looking, this went on for what seemed like ages, eventually when i opened my eyes and scanned the dark I saw some one crouched on the ground opposite our bed, I sat up and screamed and the guy got up and sprinted out the front door, my partner jumped out of bed after hearing my scream and the door slam but he was naked and decided not to chase but to put on some clothes..
We accept complete responsibility for being so stupid as to leave our door open but the odd thing was after we reported it we looked through all the resorts camera footage and there was no sign of this guy which firstly made us feel like we were making it up and secondly made us wonder if it wasn't someone who knew the location of the cameras and how to evade them.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple