“This Place is PIMP!”

Ranked #8 of 96 Hotels in Thalang District
Los Angeles, California
“This Place is PIMP!”
Reviewed October 14, 2009

We were living large at the Twinpalms for our honeymoon! If you go to Phuket and don't mind staying about 20 minutes outside of Patong, stay here! It is a beautiful, ultra modern retreat that was sexy, romantic and swanky. We loved it!

When we checked in, we were given free welcome drinks in the lobby and vouchers for 2 free 15 minutes "jet lag" massages.

Upon our arrival to our room, because it was our honeymoon, we were greated with a bottle of champagne, chocolates and a bathrub full of rose petals. Very nice touch! We ordered room service a few times and it was reasonably priced and absolutely delicious! Try the chicken with basil and pepper.

The room had a great bathrub and a rainfall shower. In addition, the bed was ultra comfy. Loved it! Free internet access was a nice touch.

There are a few restaurants right next to the hotel which provide a good options for cheaper, more casual food. It is about a 20 minute cab ride to Patong, which will cost you 500 baht. Definitely way more expensive than in Bangkok so be prepared for that. The beach is right across the road. Unfortunately, it rained the whole time we were there so we never hit the beach, but we'll go back for sure another time to check it out!

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Paris
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Very good hotel closed to the Surin Beach. From the hotel to the beach 5 mn walk by the public park where thai people play golf. You can enjoy the beach in the Catch Club (complimentary with your room).
Concerning the hotel, everything was perfect (welcoming, room service ....);
Best, the pool and our room with direct access to the lagoon.
Twinplams pilosophy "welcome to your home away from home", totally agree such this place is peacefull!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
wales
Reviewed September 23, 2009

twinpalms is in a peaceful location about 15 minutes from the madness of patong. the hotel is well laid out with a huge pool the focal point. large bedrooms have comfortable beds and roomy bathrooms with an external glass wall, lovely when its sunny, not so nice when its pouring with rain and insects are trying to invade! the staff are really helpful, food is excellent and very reasonable for the quality. the beach club is fantastic -ultra luxury on a lovely beach, also their barbeque evening is super-not to be missed. you do need a car or taxi to get arround the island.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Amesbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 20, 2009

I spent hours on Tripadvisor picking my perfect spot on Phuket and I could not have been more totally disappointed with Twin Palms. First, the positive:

My room (a lagoon junior suite) was large and lovely.

Now, everything else:
* there was construction going on on the lobby that they did not tell me about at the time of booking that sent a wave of paint fumes all over the pool area.
* i specifically booked a spa package ahead of time and no one told me that the spa was undergoing some construction so I had my spa treatment at full price in a random guest room, not the spa - literally in an odd guestroom...awful
* I was a solo female traveler taking a weekend break between Asian busisness trips. Before I left my room for dinner on Saturday night, i checked ALL the doors to the room, patio, etc. about 15 timesto be sure they were locked. After turndown service came in, several doors were unlocked. When I called management I was told "dont' worry about it" by a woman who barely spoke English. She was the night manager. I asked for the day manager to call me in the morning thinking his/her English skills might be better. The day time manager called me - same thing "Don't worry about it Madame." Are you kidding me???? Of course I am worried about this!!! I have never dealt with such incompetance/lack of regard from any management staff of any hotel I have ever stayed in, and I travel all over the world frequently.
* Trying to book my departure taxi took three conversations...and I am still not convinced they have it right
* the English skills of the hotel staff are below par. I'm not expecting perfection, but I had the wrong thing delivered to me 4 out of 5 times even after point at it on a menu...and they don't understand enough to take the mistakes off the bill.

Bottom line: This is FAR from a 5 star hotel despite the 5 star prices. I got sucked in because of the great TripAdvisor reviews and now I will never trust Trip Advisor people again....this place was bottome of the barrel and I am so disappointed I wasted my weekend here. I will never stay here again, nor would I even recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank nurns28
UK
Reviewed September 18, 2009

We went to Twinpalms for our honeymoon, we also took along our one year old son. They could not have been friendlier, especially towards our little boy. We could not have picked a more beautiful resort. One thing, i would not book through Kuoni again, they didnt even pick us up to take us to the airport, they were still in bed when the hotel called, so luckily Twinpalms took us. The Grand Deluxe Lagoon Room was brilliant, spacious, perfect for our son, and with the lagoon to step into. The food and drinks were pricey and dont ever use the phone from your room, but use Surin beach. The hotel and staff were un-faultable and we loved the place, even receiving an email from the manager when we returned home. We would go back in a heartbeat, just not in rainy season next time.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We spent six nights at Twin Palms, taking advantage of a low season deal and had the luck to arrive in a sunny gap in the monsoon.

Trying to get a sense of the place from its website and reviews here on tripadvisor, I was concerned that it would prove to be a little sterile and dull and without simple access to the beach - but in reality, the hotel is charming, the rooms are outstanding and we ended up spending most of our time around the pool and only went down to the beach on a couple of occasions.

When I'm on holiday, I want a great room - somewhere to really relax inbetween forays to the outside, preferably with lots of light and a great view. We ended up in a Grand Deluxe Lagoon room, which was sensational; 62sqm of space, a bed to die for, and a big bath/dressing area with light streaming into wrap-around windows.

But a word of warning - we booked a Grand Deluxe Lagoon room; when we were shown to our room it was on the ground floor and in possible the worst position with a major path leading straight towards the veranda and a clear view all the way through to the bathroom if there was any sunlight or roomlight - not great privacy; so we asked for an upstairs room.

One downside of the upstairs GDL room is the slatted cover around the balcony - you can only open the middle part, so it can remain a little dark even when the sun is shining.

The pool is great, its the central feature of the complex, all rooms face towards it. The weather is warm; all you want to do is waddle towards the pool and fall in for five minutes at a time, but the palm trees, decking and general design has a luxurious feel.

The hotel has a clean contemporary, harmonious design. There is a pleasant "library" with a large selection of books, many of them quite quirky and not a lot of airport fiction (anyone for Dostoievsky's "Crime and Punishment" on holiday?) - with three Apple Macs connected to the Internet. There is also a wide selection of DVDs to loan.

The restaurant is also elegant and pleasant. The buffet breakfast is superb, a feast to look forward to - after an hour in the well-equipped gym of course, which was well-used while I was there. Food in Thailand is generally very good everywhere and pretty inexpensive: the hotel's Oriental Spoon Restaurant has western prices - but you do get outstanding cuisine. If you want to keep your budget under control, there are a couple of options down the street. Our favourite was the Surin Bay Restaurant, a pretty informal place where you can eat very well at less than a third of the prices at the Oriental Spoon or room service at the hotel.

Surin, or Hat Surin, is actually a pretty small place by comparison with most Phuket beaches - one little main street with a few restaurants, hotels, tailors and a couple of tiny convenience stores (where you can buy alcohol if you want to avoid minibar prices). There's a luxury condo which is reputed to be a bolthole for a few well-known Melbourne tycoons. To get to the beach you have to walk a few minutes across a green strip that used to be part of a private Royal Thai golf course. Left and right at the beach are more restaurants, looking a little sad and bereft of customers when we were there and also a little bedraggled from the torrential rain of the week before. But at the centre is the Catch Beach Club, an extension of Twin Palms, a nice decked area with a good restaurant (big prices again) and deck chairs with supplied towels. The beach wasn't bad and I had a couple of decent swims in the surf, but we were just so comfortable back at the hotel around the pool that in the end it was too much effort.

Thailand is well-known as the place to get suits made, and Phuket is plentifully supplied with tailors - there are at least three in Hat Surin's tiny main street. I came with a mission to get a tuxedo made and from recommendations on the web I settled on Aman Tailors, just 50 meters up the road. It was a great recommendation. Chet Bahadur, the pleasant young tailor who owns two of the tailor shops, is a Burma-raised Nepalese, like 50% of tailors in Phuket apparently.

In the end I had a suit and a tuxedo made up by Chet, with shirts, casual pants and my wife had a whole bunch of stuff made. We went back several times over the week for fittings and I'm very pleased with the quality of the cloth and the finished article. Its very easy to get ripped off in Thailand, especially Bangkok, but this place is the real deal.

Interestingly, whereas the tsunami that devastated the region wreaked havoc on the beaches nearby, Surin was relatively protected, according to the locals - something to do with the shape of the bay; if that makes you feel any safer.

Twin Palms lives up to its reputation - I would call it affordable luxury.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Zoersel (Antwerp), Belgium
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We booked our 12-night stay through Best Tours Belgium including half board. Be aware that the half board Best Tours is offering will not be the same as the half board offered on Twin Palms website (discount/person + free drinks - à la carte choice).
It's a menu proposed by Best Tours which is different from the à la carte menu and you must pay ALL drinks yourself.
The hotel itself is great for people without children. Therefor, it would be even better if the hotel would make it a 'adults-only' hotel.
Positive points :
- Great, small hotel and great service (especially at the pool & 'Spoon' restaurant)
It deserves to be part of slh.com
- Nice, big rooms with all facilities (we booked room C)
- I recommand the Beach Club & the 2 days/week BBQ (value for money)
- Great spa & gym
- Free internet all over the place
Negative points :
- The service at the Beach Club could be better - a lot of waiters but not coordinated at all.
The service at the hotel restaurant (Spoon) is much better.
- Cleanliness of the room could be better - we had the impression they never cleaned the floor
- Not a lot to see in the area but great place to relax / a one-way trip to Patong will cost you 500 Bath; to Phuket city 600 Bath.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
#2 of 34 in Choeng Thale
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
#2 of 8 in Karon Beach

Been to Twinpalms Phuket? Share your experiences!