“Superb hotel and great location on Surin Beachs”
Review of Twinpalms Phuket

Twinpalms Phuket
Ranked #8 of 96 Hotels in Thalang District
Hong Kong, China
“Superb hotel and great location on Surin Beachs”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have just returned from a brilliant holiday with a dear friend at Twinpalms, Phuket from March 4 to March 10, 2013. We stayed in one of the hotel’s stunning two-bedroom duplex apartments. By arrangement we were greeted at the airport by one of the hotel’s drivers who gave us cooled, lemongrass-scented hand towels in the car as well as bottles of cold water. The main reception area makes a delightful first impression; a large open-air traditional structure with dark wood paneling and a high slanted roof. Reception presented us with bracelets made of flowers and more cool refresher towels as well as berry champagne cocktails. Our designated apartment manager guided us to our two-bedroom duplex apartment, which was slightly removed from the main area of the hotel (many of the rooms overlook the main pool).

The two-bedroom duplex apartments are generously proportioned, open plan and elegantly furnished with TVs in both bedrooms and a large widescreen TV in the main living area, which also had an iPod dock, DVD player and wifi. There are outstanding bathrooms on each floor with excellent rainshower heads and Molton Brown toiletries. There is also a bath on the upper floor of the main bedroom. You could quite happily fit a family of four into this apartment. There was fresh ice in the ice bucket, a well-stocked wine fridge and two minibars filled with soft drinks and beer. They also provided an Illy coffee machine, the capsules for which were replenished daily. A fresh fruit platter was provided daily and housekeeping replenished our supply of bottled water regularly. There are multiple electrical plugs in each room all of which are fitted with international adaptors.

The hotel restaurant is called Oriental Spoon and serves exceptional Thai food. The staffs are helpful, friendly and attentive without being obtrusive. Buffet breakfasts were included in the price of the room and we went to Oriental Spoon for breakfast every morning. They have an egg counter, fresh fruit juices, bacon and sausages, bread and pastries, pancakes and delightful house-made preserves and jams.

The hotel is located just across the road from stunning Surin Beach, which is arguably Phuket’s best. The water was pristine, the sand white and clean and the sea calm. The Catch Beach Club is affiliated with the hotel and hotel guests are guaranteed a sunbed and towels. Catch serve great cocktails and food which are brought to your sunbed, the cost added to your bill so you don’t have to worry about bringing your wallet down to the beach. Twinpalms seems to have secured the best location on Surin Beach and you can quite happily spend an entire day on the beach swimming and relaxing.

The path to the beach club is lit by huge lanterns at night, which look lovely. The beach area is lined by restaurants and shops and places offering massage and beauty treatments. Too many of the restaurants serve middling western food like pizza and burgers but Thai food can be had in some places. Always specify you want it ‘Thai style’ otherwise they tone for the heat down too much. Pla Seafood is a decent food option, with tables along the beachfront amongst the palm trees and sand underfoot. We also had a great meal at the open-air Bluelagoon restaurant, which is located behind the hotel, across the road. The food is great and prices astonishingly cheap.
Hire cars can be booked through the hotel and we found this most comfortable way to travel to temples at Wat Chalong, raucous, touristy Patong and the mid-market Central Shopping Mall, which was recommended to us by the receptionist at the Twinpalms spa.

Our experience at Twinpalms was impeccable and we are already making plans to return. It is the best hotel on the best beach in Phuket with beautiful, superbly appointed and provisioned rooms with a refined and relaxing atmosphere. The hotel is lined with fragrant frangipani and palm trees and every area of the hotel is brilliantly designed for maximum comfort. The staff is utterly brilliant - smiling, friendly and responsive to all requests. Be sure to book a room with either a plunge pool or one with a lagoon out the front. We found this indispensible after walking around all day shopping or visiting temples. There are minimarts, Tesco Lotus and 7-Elevens within walking distance and taxis are plentiful. You can also hire scooters cheaply.

This is hopefully the first of many visits to Twinpalms and Phuket.

Room Tip: Request a room furthest from the main reception are as they are more private. Even better are the du...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JarrettHo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sion, Switzerland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Last time, we went to Koh Samui and wanted to try Phuket. Well, I can't really complain about the hotel itself but because Phuket is full of tourists everywhere. I guess we have even chosen the right hotel (far from Patong) but with children screaming by he pool all day long and very loud people at the beach which is by the way totally crowded then I have to say that next time, I'll go back to Samui instead.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marc o
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Based on the positive reviews on trip advisor, I decided to book my vacations to this boutique hotel. That was a mistake!!!

First impression was not so good, they asked for my passport for the check in but forgot to give it to back to me; I had to chase to get it back.
The main lobby is very nice but unfortunately the view from the room (I had a premium deluxe, room number 12) is very disappointing (view on trees and concrete building), especially for more than 225GBP a night.

For this price, you get only a small bottle of water per day, whilst in any other proper 5 stars, you get 2, not to mention the extremely annoying towel policy.
First thing you have to sign upon arrival is a document certifying that you received towel cards, one towel per person (2 per room) and that you will be charged if lost.
This is very petty, so old fashioned and so annoying for an hotel who claims being a 5 stars resort.

TV is very small; with a very poor choice of channels. There is a dvd player in the room, but hardly no dvds available (at the most 20 at the library which does have opening hours -see specific note below)

On the last couple of days of my stay, room was infested by big flies (one day I had 6!), and I had to call for help. Found some flies dead on the floor after house keeping came to clean the room; not great.

No spa price list in the room, you have to go to the spa and specifically ask for it in case you want to book something.

I tried the spa, and although the massages are good (like anywhere else in Thailand), the decor and atmosphere is terrible. No wardrobe was provided on my first visit, no toilet paper, no incense burner, no flowers under the bed; nothing. Just lifeless white walls which reminds me more of an hospital room. The worst spa I tried in Thailand (and I lived there 3 years so I really know what I am talking about)

The beach was by far the biggest disappointment; it is circa 200 meters far from the hotel (which I knew from the reviews in TA), and the path to the so called "beach club" is more looking like a no mans land.

The beach is so crowded by sun beds that you hardly could see the sand. Gross.

The "beach club" is showing big signs of wears and tears with chipped painting over the wooden floor and overall has probably not been refurbished since its construction probably in the 90s (as it looks like very 90s, very old fashioned)
Food is very average, except the ice creams, which are excellent but very pricey (More than 3 GBP a scoop)
I tried also all other places by the beach (local restaurants); service is terrible and food very average; it is even hard to get some fresh seafood by the beach!

I also tried the hotel restaurant: poor menu, food very average and the service is very slow (more than 1H30 to get a 3 course meal)

Library: hardly no DVDs, they are not even available all day since the library does have opening hours and closes at 9 PM (again, so weird, it is the first 5 stars hotel with that policy; probably because it is NOT a 5 stars). Book choice is also terrible (who would ask for law or philosophy books whilst on a holiday break?!)
The excursion list is small and awfully expensive; you can get much better by going to the small travel agency nearby the hotel.

Also not enough sun beds by the pool.

On a very positive note is the staff at the front lobby and the restaurant who are trying their best to make you feel welcome. A big hats off to the restaurant manager in particular who called me by my name everyday and managed to get the table I wanted for breakfast everyday.

Overall; the hotel is barely OK, way overpriced for what is is (no direct access to the beach, terrible crowded beach, and poor location far from everything in Phuket) and still having very annoying petty policy like the towel and the water, not to mention the library management or spa pricing. The poor management definitely doesn't do justice to the very nice staff.
A genuine 5 stars hotel is all about details, and this one seriously needs to benchmark vs competition.

I surely won't be back and strongly recommend NOT to stay to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank nathb001
OlivierGibaud, General Manager at Twinpalms Phuket, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Nathalie,
It is regrettable that you did not bring to our attention your valuable comments whilst staying with us, it would have enable us to immediately take actions on those we could affect.
Allow me to point out to interested Tripadvisor readers that on a number of details you have been incorrect and I wish to state facts; the view from room 12 balcony is garden and pool views, being on the upper floor you overlook the pool bar, two complimentary .5ltr bottles of Artesian water are placed in each room and replaced during the turn down or room making if consumed, a refill can also be requested anytime to housekeeping, indeed to avoid losses of our luxury branded pool and beach towels only, we demand the assistance of our customer, the TV's in our Grand Deluxe Palm Room are Sony 32" Flat screens and we offer 12 international TV channels, 115 DVD's and 25 musical CD's are available in the Library which is open from 8:30am to 9:30pm as indicated on the entrance door, your spa menu in the room does include a price list however special offers are only available at the Spa reception, along with philosophy and law books, over 20 lifestyle magazines including GQ, Fashion, Home, Design are also available, lastly the hotel is located 30 minutes from Phuket International Airport and 20 minutes from Patong Beach, hotel limousine, hotel shuttle bus, taxis are available 24hrs.
Thank you however for ultimately making your opinion and recommendation known publicly, you can rest assured that we are considering them in our daily management activities, we also complimented the Restaurant Manager who's attentions you appreciated.
Best Regards
Olivier Gibaud
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed at the TwinPalms Phuket with my husband. This was our first trip after getting married so needless to say we were excited.
We booked the duplex suite with the private pool. So paid a higher price than most rooms. We got a free airport transfer with this package and also 3 hours of spa treatement so it was a good decision.
However, the breakfast included in the room price left much to be desired, I found it minimalistic for such a classy hotel, and was a tad disappointed.
We got a personal host service due to the category of room and Kob was excellent. She received us at the airport and answered our questions and helped making bookings etc patiently.
The library at the hotel is great- can rent movies for a quiet night, check email or play a game of chess.
Ordered some food at the poolside bar and room service- a tad expensive and not exceedingly great but good nonetheles for a quick bite.
One thing which I personally didn't like was product placement in the room. Twinpalms products like handbags, shaving kits and other sundry items such as music cds and so on and so forth can be found in every nook of the room- for a price! I found this a bit strange! I guess its an effective marketing strategy since I saw several ladies carrying the twinpalm beach bag, but it peeved me off a bit. I didn't want to be confronted by a price tag! Anyway apart from this miniscule detail everything was great!
Also the catch beach club has a fantastic location- a must for an evening drink during sunset!

For a luxurious spa experience and good service I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We selected this hotel based on the reviews and it turned out to be a memorable stay. Had thought of writing a review but it just got postponed..any here it is.
Stayed from 24th August 2012 for three nights with my wife and right from the check-in, it was an excellent experience. The overall ambience, the pool side, service, food everything is good. The library is an added advantage.

Surin beach is, well average, but it has its advantages of not being so crowded. The nightclub across the road and walks along the road are other attractions.

Phuket in the monsoons has a different charm and this place contributed to a memorable trip. Will love to come back

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank josh_operator
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

great pool, I lay in the sun all day it was sooo relaxing. At night I hit the nightclub and didnt even have to leave the hotel it get the best of both worlds. Thoroughly recommended I will stay there again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank fender13
London
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We've travelled to Surin beach for the last few Christmases and always have a fantastic time. In the past, we've chosen to stay at The Chava, which was great value for money when it first opened but each year the rates have gone up to the point where it's just not offering value for money, and so this year we decided to stay at Twinpalms. Even when we were staying at The Chava we ate at Catch beach club every day so we were quite familiar with Twinpalms and we had high expectations for our stay. I'm pleased to say we weren't disappointed.

The hotel's setting is really lovely and very tranquil. And although there were kids around (ours included) the hotel wasn't overrun with noisy children. They seem to have managed to achieve a great balance of welcoming families yet maintaining a grown-up feel. We treated ourselves to one of the Penthouse suites, which provided plenty of space for the four of us (two adults and two boys aged eight and nine). Although there aren't two separate bedrooms, the boys slept downstairs and we were upstairs so there was a sufficient level of privacy. There's also a bathroom on each floor and the roof terrace and private pool were great, although we probably didn't use these as much as we thought we would.

The service at the hotel was outstanding, all the staff we encountered went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. This was demonstrated when our youngest son had an accident on the beach and needed to go to a hospital for some stitches. The staff at the beach club and hotel responded quickly, goiong out of their way to sort transport etc. out for us and to make sure we were all OK. They were great!

The food at the restaurants is fantastic, as is the room service - especially the Thai food. We love Catch beach club - very cool vibe and a great place to enjoy some sundowners whilst the kids muck about on the beach. There's a limited selection at breakfast, but it was more than adequate and all very delicious.

Anything I'd change? A few things...

1. The gym is too small for the size of the hotel - the hotel has grown over the years with more and more rooms added, but the gym has stayed the same. When we were there it was often impossible to get on one of the three treadmills in the morning and I found myself getting out of bed earlier and earlier just to beat the crowds and to get on a treadmill...not ideal when you're on holiday.
2. There could be a few more sun loungers by the pool.
3. They don't allow you to eat the meals from Catch Beach Club on the beach any more - a snack on your lounger is a bit of a treat when you're on holiday. Plus, they've taken Quesadillas off the Catch Beach Club menu - these were our favourite afternoon beach snack!! (They are still available at the pool bar).
4. More interconnecting rooms for families would be great.

All in all we think Twinpalms is fantastic and we'll definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 34 in Choeng Thale
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
#2 of 8 in Karon Beach

Been to Twinpalms Phuket? Share your experiences!