“Magical Relaxation”
Review of Lima Coco Resort

Lima Coco Resort
Ranked #6 of 62 Hotels in Rayong
Reviewed December 11, 2008

We stayed here for 4 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The location is great since it is quiet and not crowded since the location is only accessible to guest staying on Prow beach. I had the opportunity to order dinner twice at the restaurant and it was delicious. The breakfast at the hotel is great but the selection is quite limited. The beach in front of the hotel is beautiful specially during the sunset. The water is so clear and the sand is fine and almost white. The staffs are all very friendly and greeting you when you see them. Overall I will stay here again if I go back to Samed

Stayed: December 2008

Reviewed October 29, 2008

My boyfriend and I are in late 20s. He likes adventurous but I like comfortable. We decided to find something in between so we booked Lima Coco. We booked directly to the hotel and everything was fine at the beginning...the reservation staff in Bangkok was professional and I heard many good things though the grape vine, thought we would have a great long holiday there.

There are quite a few good things, a couple of not so good we would like to share with you...the room rate is quite high for what you get. The good thing is it includes free shuttle boat from Chokkrisda pier which will deliver you to the front door for the resort, no additional cost for transportation (if you stay at Saikeaw Beach, most good hotels are far from pier and you have to pay extra for local taxi).

The resort looks cute, cozy and makes you feel like a vacation house rather than a resort hotel (if you like Marriott or Sheraton, this is not your choice).

Lima Coco is on Ao Praw, only 3 hotels on this side of the island..they are probably one of the most luxury ones there. Ao Praw is very quiet, no shop house or street food. Lima Coco is located right on the beach (well, there is a small walk way cut between you and the beach)...book a platinum room than you will have an excellent beach front view. Anyway, sand on Saikeaw beach is more beautiful and white.

The room rate also include breakfast, quite variety; American and Asian breakfast, fruits, yogurt, etc…however fruit juice is terrible, orange juice is artificial, even you pay for it. The breakfast time is from 8.00-9.30am! One morning we made it, but it was too crowded and the queue was long every where. I took 10 mins to have my toast.

Staff don't really speak English, some don't even understand Thai! (I'm Thai by the way). More than a few times we recieved thigns we didn't order.

Our room is quite clean, maid comes once a day around 10-11am, very polite and did a good job. Towel is clean but very old. Bathroom is quite disappointed, a white simple plastic shower host….cheap plastic curtain separate the shower area from the toilette. Toilette paper comes in a big role like in the department store…big shampoo and soap dispenser on the wall (wondering if I am in a gym).

There is not many things to do on Ao Praw, too boring for us. Massage on the beach at Ao Praw hotel is good, only 300 baht per hour. We end up pay extra for local taxi (400baht round trip) and spend almost everyday on Saikeaw beach where you can find cheaper and fresh seafood and free fire show on the beach. If you can, rent an automatic motorbike (300 baht/ day include gas). However, when it rains, the road is very nasty, take a taxi.

I travel around the region, I know what not to expect from a local resort like this.... but this is disappointing...

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 1, 2008

It's hard to get a sense of the geography of Ko Samet from maps, which don't show the rocky ridge in the island's mid-section. While I knew Lima Coco at Ao Prao would be a walk from the main beach areas on the West coast of the island, I didn't realize how uphill the walk would be. Once we did it a few times, it wasn't so bad, but the taxi trucks roar along the roads at night and we didn't want to risk getting hit by walking on the roads after dark.

The taxis have a monopoly and gouge you for a ride to Lima Coco (250 baht, about $6 each way). When we tried to do a group ride from the pier where the posted price is 30 baht per person, the driver tried to change the price after we'd waited 20 minutes for the pickup to fill up.

Lima Coco's free breakfast was adequate, but the other meals were puny in size, overpriced and included a 10 percent service charge.

Our room, a junior deluxe, was a little well-worn, but generally decent. My only complaint: No hot water. The best we could get was lukewarm water. We even complained and they replaced the in-shower hot water heater, but it still only offered up lukewarm water. Definitely not with the $80 U.S. we paid when you can get an A/C room on the other side of the island for $40 U.S.

The Ao Prao beach is nice, but it was too isolated for my taste and we spent more of our time during the day on the West side of the island.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TravelerXY
Reviewed February 4, 2008

My boyfriend and I took a trip to Bangkok in May 2007. We wanted to get away from the city for a few days, so we hopped the bus (about 4 hours) to Ban Phe pier and took the ferry from there to Koh Samet. We used the local travel office in Koh Samet to book our room at Lima Coco. We only stayed for 2 days, but it was such a lovely 2 days! Some of the other reviews mention that the rooms are a little basic... it's true. But the location is fantastic - the private side of the island is the sunset side, and it's very is quiet and relaxing. Also, the Lima Coco restaurant serves some delicious appetizers. They'll even bring them to you on the beach!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Having the plan to go to Koh Samet for Vacation with family this coming weekend, seen this hotel advertisement on the web and made a call for reservation. Surprisingly, I don't feel any warm welcome or service mind from the reservation staff when I asked what type and rate they offer. They even asked me to check from the website myself and don't even bother to explain to customer. Such a good hospitality they have. I definitely will not choose this hotel as they do not offer any service to customer compared to other resort. They offer you Self service.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We stayed at Lima Coco for 6 nights in January 2007.
Some friends of our go there every Christmas and recommended it.
On arrival, I was a bit disappointed with our room. By Thai standards, this is an expensive beach to stay on, although Lima Coco is better value than the two neighbouring resorts.
Main complaint with the room:
1. The sloping bed.
2. You could hear everything outside and next door, and this included our neighbours returning late at night (even if they whispered), and the very noisy generator right opposite the door.
3. By sea view, read partial sea view if you're 6' tall and standing.
We moved after the second night to a room at the top of the hill which was cheaper, but more comfortable, and had a better sea view.
But many positives:
- Good food.
- Friendly service
- Great massages
- Great Buddha Bar-type music playing all day long which puts you straight into relaxation mode.
- The sand on this beach is as good as anywhere I've been in the world, and that includes many beaches in Australia, Caribbean, Middle East and Africa.
- There were quite a few couples with young kids. This is a good place for 2-4 year olds, and the staff look after you very well. The sea is calm and shallow, and a safe place to swim.
Within a few days we'd really got into the Lima Coco vibe and would have loved to stay longer.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rob076
Reviewed December 1, 2006

I'll agree that the rooms could use a refurb, but still this is a lovely, lovely place and I'll definitely go back as I had such a wonderful time there with my GF last month (Nov 2006). We didn't travel the whole island, but the little cove where Lima Coco sits is gorgeous. I doubt it gets better on the island.

Refurb aside, the rooms are very clean and bright and comfy, with gorgeous views. See an example here view here:

The neighboring properties share the same beach and views, but cost 2 to 3 times as much as Lima Coco (our standard room was about $70 per night).

The staff, which is largely Cambodian, is very sweet and attentive. From the moment, you land on the beach and they hand you a welcome drink, they'll be taking very good care off you.

The food is terrific, especially the prawn dishes, and very fairly priced (maybe $10-15 for a nice meal for too with drinks). I expected to pay much more as there's little restaurant competition and all the food has to be boated in from Rayong. You can eat right on the beach with candles. They make great tropical cocktails too:

The beach is perfect -- clean and secluded. We rented a Laser sailboat from the hotel next door and had fantastic time in spite of capsizing it once.

We planned on staying a couple of nights and stayed 4 instead, and even then weren't ready to leave.

Also, I appreciated that the clientele is a fair mix of foreign and Thai. Nothing worse than being in Thailand with no Thais in site except those serving you.

I can't praise this place enough. A special place.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brand_new_peterson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rayong
Mooban Talay Resort
#1 of 62 in Rayong
Ao Prao Resort
Ao Prao Resort
#4 of 20 in Ko Samet

Been to Lima Coco Resort? Share your experiences!