“Good Italian food”

Al Piccolo Covo by Capannina
Ranked #42 of 242 Restaurants in Rawai
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Al piccolo covo Rawai (Pizza e naturalmente pesce a Rawai da non perdere)
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Good Italian food”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this place when we first arrived in Phuket. The food was good, however pricey- but this seems the norm in the area. I'm not really sure what to say about the service. We were served by an insanely happy lady- emphasis on insane! We didn't return as it was too much, and did not make for a relaxing meal. However this restaurant is one I the few in the area with good quality food.

• Visited March 2014

• Thai first
Phuket, Thailand
“Great pizza and Pasta on Rawai Beach!”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We had a lovely meal here of Pizza and pasta and lovely garlic bread, the Italian chef was welcoming, helpful and really pleasant, the other staff were lovely also. The pizza was great and I will definitely go back again!

• Visited January 2014
Costa Mesa, California
“awsome pizza and service”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My wife and I just returned from Ra Wai Thailand where we spent 2 weeks. We found this restraunt just by chance , I was so impressed by how delicious the pizza was (rock fire over thin crust ) that I ate there three times, "VERY AUTHENTIC Italian"The owner is Rene and he and his staff are just the warmest friendliest folks youll ever meet, Dont be mistaken and go next door to "mama mias its totally the opposite crappy over priced, fair food,with bad attitude Swedish people!! There is a very sweet thai lady who works at Al Piccolo's named Fangeda ,"OH MY GOODNESS she has the most kind happy personality, always laughing and smiling , Please try this place you wont regret it!!!

• Visited March 2014
Budapest, Hungary
“Missed potential - let down in so many ways”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

This restaurant seems to be farang (foreign) owned. At least the chef was definitely not Thai. Given it's an Italian restaurant that should be a good thing.

Compared to any Thai restaurant serving pizza and pasta, this place comes out favorably. If I brought any of my Italian friends, they would probably never forgive me though.

The menu is quite extensive and offers a range of meats, pizzas and pastas. There is bottled wine available but being Thailand, it's quite expensive.

The pizza menu is long and there is plenty to chose from. Keeping it simple, I ordered a ham pizza. It costs 250 baht which is cheap by Western standards. The pizza was around 30cm so decent in size. The ham used was the most processed kind of ham available so definitely detracted somewhat from the experience. On top of that, the base was not cooked evenly. It was burnt on patches and soft on others - the typical sign of a bad pizza over.

The pasta menu is reasonably long too. I would not recommend the spaghetti bolognese though. It looked very much like the frozen supermarket variety (note that it definitely was freshly cooked, just the appearance wasn't great). It was decidedly average in taste.

The chicken dishes are actually pretty good. Large portion sizes and generous amounts of sauce made it quite acceptable. The french fries were a little soggy though.

One of the WORST things I noticed about this restaurant is they have a ketchup reusing policy. This is where they buy Heinz ketchup bottles and refill them with cheaper Thai ketchup that tastes horrible. Not only does this look cheap, feel tacky and taste horrible, but the ketchup bottles themselves were very dirty and no doubt un-hygienic. I don't know why a restaurant owner would permit such a thing to happen. It's so obvious when this is going on and it really ruins the perception of a the restaurant. I wonder what other corners they are cutting with costs and hygiene!!!

The service was average. Nothing particularly good or bad. The waitress did expect us to order within 30 seconds of reading the menu and hovered over our table for a couple of minutes waiting. That was weird. Also, I accidentally spilled my drink (mostly just ice and water left) and several servers saw this but none of them bothered to clean it up so the ice just slowly melted into the tablecloth.

In summary, you won't be disappointed if you don't have high expectations of this place. Italians will be very disappointed but if you are looking for a break from Pad Thai, it's acceptable, just!

As a rule of thumb, I always avoid any restaurants that cut corners and risk hygiene to save a few pennies.

• Visited February 2014
“Best pizza in Phuket!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Живу недалеко от этого места, часто беру там еду на вынос. На всех Раваях вы не найдете пиццы вкуснее, Диволо мой фаворит.
P.S. I forgot my driver license in this restaurant, but the owner somehow found out that my in-laws often dinning there ( he never saw me and my in-laws together) and told them, that my driver license in police now. I was so happy that I didn't have to do new license. Thank you, thank you, thank you :-)

• Visited January 2014