“People who genuinely care...”
Review of Phuket Cleanse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rawai
Phuket Cleanse
Ranked #1 of 93 Specialty Lodging in Rawai
Singapore, Singapore
“People who genuinely care...”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I wanted to share my views on the amazing place that is Phuket Cleanse! It remains one of the most memorable holiday/health experiences that I am likely to ever have… unless I return again, which I have every plan of doing.

I have found it difficult to put into words exactly what it is that makes this health retreat so different to any other, so I have categorised the parts of the experience that I can below:

Food:
A raw, vegan experience with incredible and unlimited natural supplementation. The owner, Melanie, is passionate about what this can do for you mind and body on a cellular level, and educated the guests consistently about why their food choices are so important. Then there is the flavour itself – so, so good! I had raw lasagna, spaghetti (with kelp noodles), incredible Thai food and Indian raw which not only left me feeling satiated, it tasted amazing too. Melanie and her team bring raw food into a very accessible realm, making it so good, that it makes it difficult for you to make bad choices and not to want to change your lifestyle based on gluttony – really you can have it all in the healthiest of ways.

Exercise:
Being an ACTIVE cleanse, exercise plays a large part in this program. It is not only integral to sweat out the toxins, it is also the reason that guests leave with an improved body composition, higher metabolism and energy like no other. I would have attributed this to the massive endorphin rush that exercise pushes you into, but after learning a little more on the science behind it, I now understand this to be a cellular rejuvenation process that the Phuket Cleanse has designed their program around. The trainers are incredible – Mark and Woody from Training for Warriors actually train professional MMA fighters, but have managed to use the same strength and conditioning principles to create a fitness program that pushes you on every level, whilst educating you with their extensive knowledge on body mechanics and injury prevention. Andrew Stannard, an ex-boxer from the UK, has so much infectious energy that it is pretty impossible not to make yourself go beyond any limit of what you thought your body was capable of. The yoga teacher Kim White is exceptional, she has such a focus on therapeutic yoga and knowledge built from literally doing it her whole entire life – since 3 years of age. The Muay Thai trainers, Hehm and Lee are from a very well renowned gym and both have extensive fighting experience, they are the best in town to learn from – and a huge asset to the Phuket Cleanse family.

Accommodation:
A lovely villa in Rawai… the rooms are simple but very sweet and the pool area is very relaxing and glamourous.. It is not a 5 star experience, but it really doesn't need to be. I would recommend the downstairs villa rooms for excellent sleeping!

Staff:
I think this is where it gets really special. The team at Phuket Cleanse are very genuine people. Melanie is one of the most passionate and intelligent people I have ever met, and you can tell that this centre results from a lifetime of passion and enthusiasm about health, anti-ageing and raw food. She is extremely informative, an excellent educator and a wonderful nurturer, it would be difficult to find someone who knew more about the health business. Sarah – as Stanton explains, the client who never left! I have a special place in my heart for her – though I think nearly every guest does. The centre relies on her organisation and high level of knowledge which makes the Proctor's dream a reality. She manages to do all of this, the program with the guests AND make you feel at home, every girl wants to be her best friend, every man wants to marry her (though I am gay, so fit into neither category!), she made a huge difference to my stay, and I wanted to personally thank her for her tireless work. Sarah is around more than any other staff member, and the go to for anything at all you need. Nothing is too difficult for her, and she is a major asset to the experience. Stanton was not around when I stayed – but he was great to deal with in the booking process, and I think might have missed his calling as a stand up comedian!

Overall, I left feeling like a different person and wanting to change the way I live my life. I found there was a certain magic about the place, and I think that is down to the enthusiasm of the owners and staff, and that becomes part of the guest experience too. My group was an intelligent collection of young corporates that were great to chat to and I have kept in touch with a couple of them. I would not hesitate to recommend this experience to anyone who wants to make a lasting change in their body and mind.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank DubaiDebonnaire

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
Seoul, Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I just spent my second fitness vacation at Phuket Cleanse. What can I say that all the other reviews have not already said? These guys are the best at what they do. Melanie's raw food classes and her lectures are like a walking encyclopedia of health & wellbeing. She was leading an Anti-Aging course the week I was there (October). It is nice to see someone so passionate and knowledgeable about fitness and good food. Oh, and the new things at the villa. The new ice bath and steam sauna were not there when I visited last year. Now, they have these new recovery protocols (ice bath and hot steam sauna) that I did not think I would like. But I was wrong. After four hours of exercise during the day, the ice bath therapy at night was perfect for recovery.

The physical fitness side of things are also new and improved. The new Stairs & Hills class was amazing. We go to Phromthep Cape and Woody led the best cardio class I have ever done. I have not sprinted up stairs or hills (or anywhere for that matter) since I was in middle school. It was a euphoric feeling to do this high intensity class. And the view? The best view on the whole island of Phuket.

Andrew is still there leading the Boot Camp and Box Fit classes at the gym. And man, he is still a forced to be reckoned with. He is a 40-year-old vegan athlete that I admire. I wish I could take the plunge and eat healthy all the time. Well, one step at a time.

The ten pounds I left there in Phuket was a nice bonus, too. Thank you Melanie. Thank you Stanton. Thank you staff. Keep up the good work and keep changing people's lives for the better. See you next year for Fitness Getaway #3.

Room Tip: Request to stay at the main villa. However, all rooms are great!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank AdrienG849
Singapore
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed here for the second time and Phuket cleanse is just great if you want to loose weight or just get in shape. They serve a varity of raw foods and juices combined with an extensive exercise schedule ranging from boot camp to thai boxing, yoga and much more.
Definitely a great way to get back to a healthier lifestyle

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main villa
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Heini12
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I just did 3D/4N and I already know I want to go back! In this review I'll try to mention some of the things not already covered by the other glowing and deserved reviews - it's all true! To briefly sum that up - what more can you ask for with sun, sea, exercise, clean food, and enthusiasm and dedication to health??

The resort itself seems to be under constant improvement (but not the kind that disrupts any of the guests' enjoyment). My room was not 5 star luxury, but very comfortable and relaxing. Though I had no issue with it, I would suspect some folks may balk at the Asian styled bathroom (don't worry, no squattie) of a shower that has no segregated area. It is just fine, really, but the showerheads probably could do with some decalcifying to improve the water pressure.

While we are on the topic of bathrooms - fantastic locally sourced organic toiletries (including conditioner) is included. I love this mindful touch, but I'd suggest no need for the travel sized versions, which is a waste of packaging. I say go ahead and stock the rooms with the full sizes.

Also, I loved the roasted coconut oil they provide to the local Thai masseuses for your nightly massage. It's so good for your skin and smells amazing.

So why do I say 3D is not enough? There's just so much you can learn and absorb. In addition to lots of different types of exercise to try (there's so much to offer that you can't get to everything in so few days), out in the dining room are loads of books on health, diet and fitness that are worth reading up on; natural supplements like chia seeds, moringa, chlorella, and spirulina to try out whenever you please to see how it suits you; all kinds of beautiful organic caffeine-free teas perfect to set you down for bed (I tried an interesting tea that made my water a beautiful blue color!).

Also, as for the "extras" - they are all optional and none are pushed on you. Melanie and Stanton invite only people they believe in, and from what I hear, these therapists are not charged commission to offer their services. I did try the expert deep tissue massage on offer by Julian, and while it wasn't "life changing" for me, it was excellent and good value at 2,000 THB (around US$60) an hour.

One of the key aspects I loved was that the program incorporates a lot of time outside of the premises too - trips to the beach, the weekend night market, and the boat trip of course. If you are going to go all the way to Thailand, you want to enjoy it too. Plus, the people - from the staff, to the owners, to the trainers, to the other guests are all very enthusiastic about what they are doing, and provide a great environment. Don't worry if you don't feel fit enough or think your level of fitness is so high it won't be challenged - there are all types, and while everyone's got their own goals, the main cohesion provided by support works for everyone.

So to sum up - without repeating what's already been said as much as possible - the whole package here is simply amazing. You will come home not only stronger, more energetic, better looking (without a doubt), but more educated about health, fitness, and natural remedies (I plan to incorporate several of the things I learned), plus this amazing high for life!

PS - I went as a birthday treat for myself, and the staff made the most amazing raw vegan chocolate cake for me!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank NY2HK
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2013

It's been a while since I stayed but, it's certainly changed my lifestyle. Going from drinking multiple times a week, smoking far too much and eating an abundance of fast and processed food...my 7 days at Phuket Cleanse certainly has changed me. I lost 6kgs in that week and felt the best I had done in a long time. Unfortunately I'm back the dreaded smokes (no will power) but I'm continuing to eat healthier, exercise more, lost a bit more weight and have even done a couple of Tough Mudder type courses.

I was a bit apprehensive about the whole experience but, everyone made me feel at ease and supportive. From Mel's extensive knowledge to Stanton's sense of humour and the girls in the kitchen and gym...they have the right mix of people.

Certainly would like to make this an annual thing...even friends are looking to join me after my "transformation"

Keep up the good work guys

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank simonkinsman
International
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was my first stay with the Phuket Cleanse team and already I know I will be back. I went wanting to get a kick start back into being fit and healthy after a couple of years of lethargy. all my expectations were exceeded and I couldn't be happier with my results. I lost 5kgs in 13 days but more importantly I got my inspiration and enthusiasm for life back.

I'm not exactly sure what made this trip so special....was it the juicing, the other guests, the Phuket Cleanse staff, the great trainers, the HUGE variety of training options, the optional tourist activities or maybe it was Melanie and Stanton Proctor who are so genuinely interested in making your trip a great experience and just plain fun to be around. I really can't put my finger on it I just know this was a life changing experience....I've been to a few other detox centers over the last decade and this place stands head and shoulders above anything else I've experienced. Trust me if you want long lasting results all you need to do is turn up and, as Stanton told me, "just follow the program"!

Some tips.

1. Juice - I juiced for 11 out of 13 days. Of course the first couple of days are a little uncomfortable as your body adjusts and starts to detox but after that my energy levels sky rocketed, my skin glowed, I felt better and better as the days passed by and the weight started to melt away...not dramatically but consistently as each day passed.

2. Taste everything - Mel's raw creations are so delicious I found it much easier to continue juicing when I let myself taste anything new on the menu.

3. Use the bikes to get around.....its fun.

4. REST - try to get your head down whenever you can.

5. Yoga - whether it's hot yoga or a session with Kim White do it. It's so good for your body and mind!

6. Massage, ice baths and steam sauna & infra red sauna.....do it all. It all helps your body to recover. Also the therapeutic massage I had with Julian Mann was exceptional. This was an optional extra and worth it to help me deal with some lower back issues I have.

7. Try not to get too frustrated (like I did) if you don't get quick responses to your emails. It's probably due to the fact that they focus a lot on face time with guests. If you need an immediate response to a query I would suggest calling instead.

Room Tip: Everyone raves about the upstairs rooms by the pool but i loved my downstairs room. :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank justabigadventure
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We spent 9 days at Phuket Cleanse (PC) and 4 days at a nearby competitor (code name A****i). Though to be frank there really is no competition. I started the program at 126.8kg and am now 118kg 11 days later. The biggest shock was how well my strength levels stayed up and in fact improved.
First, the food: The food was plentiful, delicious, varied and satisfying. The motto is to provide a raw ‘feast’, rather than a fast. The creativity of the chefs and the passion of the owner’s are evident. They recreate the dishes we love. Mexican Tacos, Thai Curries, Indian Samosas, quiche, pizza, pasta etc. But all from 100% raw, organic fresh produce. My desire for protein was satisfied with delicious shakes made from hemp, raw cacao, bee pollen and other supplements.
Fitness: Once again the program offers immense variety and optionality. We did muay thai, hot yoga, TRX, cross-training circuits, running, swimming, cycling, hiking etc. We could pick and choose what we wanted but ended up doing most things training up to 4 times a day. That would be excessive by any other measure, but the alkaline diet and super-food supplements coupled with daily ice baths and massage ensured our recovery. The training sessions are taught by genuine experts who know how to warm up participants and stretch effectively. Not all fitness programs in Thailand are like this. If you are going to train Muay Thai for example chances are the trainers may just be washed up fighters with no understanding of exercise science. Buyers beware; pay a little more for safety, efficacy and efficiency.
Facilities: We were lucky that it is low season and so had our own villa with a private pool. These are "A" class facilities. Compared to the accommodation at A****i I’d call Phuket Cleanse 4 star and the competition 2.5 stars at best. At Phuket cleanse everything is provided at no extra charge, bicycles, rides into town, snacks and between meal juices. We had to keep forking out for these at A****i.
The atmosphere at Phuket Cleanse is fantastic, Mel is very knowledgeable and open minded. She doesn't push her ideas on anyone but she does inspire change in those listening. Will I remain vegan? Let's just say it's the 80/20 rule for me...for now.
There is much more we could say but in essence, Phuket Raw is excellent value (trust me you could not recreate this variety yourself), excellent quality and something we will recommend to friends and strangers alike.
Jamie and Maria

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jcmorien
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rawai
Navatara Phuket Resort
Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 95 in Thalang District

Been to Phuket Cleanse? Share your experiences!