My wife and I just returned from a 3-days trip to The Mangosteen Resport & Spa. To set things straight upfront, the spa at the Mangosteen was great, and well worth the amount we paid for, which was higher-than-average for a place like Phuket, but besides that, the rest of our experience made us conclude that this would be our one and only stay with this property, which appears more desperate to milk every single cent they can out of you rather than provide you with a worthwhile experience qualifiable for a return vist.
Let me start with the location of the property, which is located very remotely seemingly in the middle of nowhere. While the property does advertise that it provides shuttles to the nearby beach or to Phuket Town, it was not clearly stated that such services runs barely once a day and only on specific requests of the guests.
In addition, there is simply no way one can walk out of the proprty and locate your own transportation to any nearby civilization without relying on the hotel's limousine services, which, while advertised as being priced comparably to local taxis, are in fact more than twice as expensive and bears on the brink of being pure exhobitant! We had to pay about USD20 to get to town, which is only about 15 mintues away, and to get back to the hotel using a local taxi - USD9. I should also say that it was really lucky that I manged to pre-arrange a very reasonable airport transfer via HotelThailand.com which costs me only about USD23 one-way for the hour-long ride, since the hotel intends to charge at least USD47 one-way for the same journey!
While the resort attempts to market itself as a high-end relaxation property with ample recreation facilities, all they have in fact is a pool, surrounded by the reception, the spa and a small open-air restaurant which can barely sit 50 people, all of which you could cover in a minute's walk. Any other activities in which you might be interested in (e.g. the beach, shopping, etc) are located nearer to civilisation at least 15-30 minutes away from the property, and as you should know by now, are nto cheap to get to.
Notwithstanding that the hotel does not provide satellite or cable movie channels unlike most of the other hotels we have stayed in Phuket previously, The Mangosteen provides five (5) In-house Moive Channels which plays pirated movies! Can you believe this - a supposedly reputable 5-Star property charging at least USD175 a night stooping so low?! We even managed to catch the latest 'Rush Hour 3' on their In-House Channel, albeit the quality was horrendous, when the original is still playing in the movie theatre 15 minutes away!
Moreover, our jacuzzi did not work initially, and we had to get the engineers to fix it. The water pressure in the showers was also ridiculously low, and the rain shower - another supposed feature of this hotel - felt more like a pathetic trickling drizzle. The straw roof covering the open-air bathroom tends to be leaky, so when it rains while you are in the bath, you can't really be sure you are cleaning up in clean water.
The room service menu is all of one (1) page long and offers you the choice of about a dozen dishes. Even the much-anticipated Latin Night at the tiny restaurant, which costed about USD40 per person, was pathetic - with a poor variety of low-quality food, diluted margaritas, and all of guests attending the event. The live band, though, was another thing and rightly deserves to be commended (God knows what are these talents doing in this hotel?!)
It hence suffices to say that we will not recommend this to anyone out there, since there are more than ample hotels in Phuket which could offer much better services and facilities for the same or even lower prices, so do help youself by going somewhere else!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa, Phuket. Located near Nai Harn Beach in the South of Phuket, Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa sits on a private hillside. This adult only Boutique Resort offers high standards of personalized service in a secluded and serene environment. Only 41 villa style rooms ensure privacy and tranquility. The rooms are designed as a "home away from home" by Interior Designer John Underwood to ensure guests have a most enjoyable stay. Surrounded by tropical gardens, each Villa feels like a piece of private paradise. Private Villa gardens offer a Jacuzzi tub. Enjoy the breathtaking views of the Andaman Sea and Phuket Island. All units are generous in space. The center of the resort consists of the 680 sqm free form pool, the Restaurant, the Lounge Bar and the Ayurveda Destination Spa. A free shuttle service is offered to the guests to make the short trip to Nai Harn beach, one of the best beaches in Phuket and Asia. Your unique Ayurveda Destination Spa Resort near Phuket's best beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Mangosteen Hotel Rawai
- Mangosteen Hotel Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa Phuket/Rawai