“Gone Downhill!”

Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Rawai
Reviewed June 9, 2007

We have just returned from our 10th trip to Phuket--my husband's 2nd stay at the Mangosteen and my 3rd. In our opinion, the Mangosteen has gone downhill since our 1st visit in Feb 2005. There is a clear reduction of attention to the little details, which are important to a resort's success.

Examples: as return visitors, it would have been nice to be acknowledged/welcomed as such; the pool bottom was dirty, filled with sand, seashells, little rocks, etc (previously pool was cleaned every day--and we saw them do it); our rain shower head didn't work, they forgot we'd booked a return car to the airport (luckily they had an available car and driver who got us there in time); massages options are better, cheaper and FAR better at the Meridien at Nai Harn; we ordered a drink poolside and the person forgot about it; the TV channel list in our room had not been updated in the year or so since they had dropped the sports channel (we were looking for that as we wanted to watch the French Open) and we cannot fathom why a hotel would drop a sports channel--lots of people enjoy that, so we think--to their credit, they updated the list 1.5 days later; the staff didn't seem as "happy" in their jobs as they had been on previous trips. Another cost saving measure that they didn't tell us about was that they had dropped their Nai Harn beach chair contract--when we got to the beach, we asked for the Mangosteen chairs, this time we had a womanwho manages the chairs ask us to pay 200 THB for them as they had ended the contract about a year or so before--not that it is a lot of money, but it is the principle of the thing to at least be told of this change (it was a nice touch for hotel guests).....we had not taken any money with us to Nai Harn....luckily the woman understood and let us use them gratis; they used to serve Haagen Dazs ice cream--now they serve homemade ice cream--the vanilla ice cream was terrible; and our porch hammock had a big tear in it--no way we could use it.

For a little more money, the Meridien at Nai Harn is a far better deal plus all rooms have ocean views.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank 6757Expat

Reviewed May 22, 2007

The Mangosteen is a little resort in the hills in Phuket. It's a long way from the action (which is a good thing for most of us, given how revolting most of Phuket is these days) and the beach - so if that's your bag, it's the wrong choice. My boyfriend and I stayed for four days in late March.

Pros
1. The spa is excellent, run by a lovely french woman. Seriously incredible massages and scrubs. The women that work there are fantastic.
2. The pool is very nice, with lots of spare deckchairs and umbrellas and so on.
3. It's small - something like 40 bungalows - so you hardly see anyone else the whole time. If you're after something quiet, this could be good for you. Unless the following cons bother you...

Cons
1. There was basically no maid service unless I called in the afternoon and asked for someone to come - and twice I had to call three times! This even happened when we got room service delivered - the dirty plates just hung around all day. And when the maid service did come, it was sort of haphazard - the shower gel was left beside the bath with the lid off as though the guy intended to fill it, but forgot. It always felt just a little bit grubby.
2. The restaurant is pretty ordinary, so is the bar. As I said, it's quiet, so there's no scene - but aside from that, the food's just nothing to write home about.
3. It's a bit shabby in general. The room was a not laid out awfully well - TV (which was seriously old by the way) a long way from the bed, the wardrobe hard to get to and so on.

It's always nice to relax, and the spa was great. But I'd never go back and I would absolutely not recommend it to anyone looking for five-star service.

One last thing I should mention. Our camera went missing on our second night / third day. We could have left it at the hotel restaurant table, or taken it to the room and it went missing the next day. Not sure - but either way, it was gone. I reported it to the front desk five times and each time the person in charge knew nothing about it.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kategem
Reviewed April 2, 2007

hi everybody,
i've just came back from phuket, it was wonderful, the weather, the people, the food, and the resort, the best in my life. i was in the Mangosteen resrt and spa in Rawai, in the south of the island. ok it's not closed to the shopping but so quiet, at 5minutes by car of the beach, Nai Harn beach The resort is very nice, original and a superbe pool, for the kids is too amazing.

The SPA is the best, many kind of massages, treatments, and if you want, you can have 20% discount many time if youcome in the morning. The staff are too friendly and very professional, very different than on the beach, ok it isn't the same price but we know why, the staff, the place, the product, all treatments are cheaper than in europe if you compare everythings.

the resort can propose many excursions, if i must to recommand a place, it will be "THE MANGOSTEEN RESORT AND SPA" in Rawai.
for me, it's sure, i will come back next year bye everybody
sawasdeekaaa

1  Thank valence
Reviewed March 24, 2007

I stayed at the Mangosteen with a group of friends in mid-February, clearly during high season. After a month of reflection, I am hoping this was part of the problem with the service and the "cleanliness" (bedbugs!) of the resort.

We stayed at the resort during Chinese New Year, and received an email, two days before departing for Thailand, that we would be charged a $60 automatic charge for the Chinese New Year dinner one of the three nights we were staying. Obviously Chinese New Year was an expected event, and the management clearly should have notified us in advance (when we booked) that this was going to be obligatory.
It wasn't the price but the "obligation" and last-minute notice of the charge that was unnecessary.

The resort is very beautiful, with a great pool, set on top of a hill not that far from an average beach. Again the hotel was at maximum capacity, however, I was told when we first arrived that my room would not be ready until 1 p.m. (two hours later) - fine. Then at 1p.m., I was told it would take another hour. Finally, the room was ready at 3p.m. Clearly the staff still did not properly clean the room, because I left the resort with a bad case of the bedbugs! There was absolutely no cause for this...the rooms all had modern duvets with washable covers and could have easily been changed in the several hours they had to clean the room. Ick!

I had been to Thailand several times, but this was my first trp to Phuket, which was over-touristy and not a place I would visit again (or perhaps just the Mangosteen!). The hotel was totally packed and there were several examples I noticed when the staff could simply not handle the hordes - in the restauarants, at the pool, cleaning the rooms. There were never enough pool chairs, though I wonder if this is a common problem at this resort and not just during high season.

The staff did speak some English, although having been to Vietnam and several other resorts in Thailand, the Mangosteen management were clearly not paying enough in Phuket to get the "cream of the crop". Many of the staff members could not properly handle the guests' needs. From the time I arrived and waited longer than I expected to get into my room, to check-out, where they presented me with someone else's bill, I felt like they were not up to the task.

The trips to town and the diving/snorkeling options were all overpriced. We found an excellent option for a private boat with a local dive shop that was far better than anything the hotel offerred us, when they actually tried.

Since Phuket appears to have an abundance of resorts, I would do your
best to avoid the Mangosteen.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank TraceyIslamabad
Reviewed February 10, 2007

We loved everything about the Mangosteen starting with the Welcome drinks upon arrival to the fresh fruit and goodnight chocolates in our room. The people are so wonderful and all speak english. The grounds are immaculate. The food was excellent and the pool is great. 2 for 1's from 4-5 is a great deal! We also especially loved the house band which played at dinner and late into the night. There were always chairs available when we wanted to lay around. The resort runs a free hourly shuttle to and from the beach so that is very convenient. The resort taxi service was pretty expensive so we met a taxi driver in town and used him for transportation the rest of the week.
Our room was beautiful, with all the woodwork, comfortable bed, hammock and awesome shower! It is very neat that it is outdoors, yet completely private. We loved every minute of our stay and have no complaints! We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bojilover
Reviewed January 14, 2007

We stayed at the Mangosteen starting New Years Eve and for a total of 5 days. Overall I'm glad we stayed there rather than a resort right on the beach. We got the least expensive room and were very happy with it. I got two spa treatments during our week there which were very good and priced on the lower end of US spas. We took the shuttle to the beach twice and really enjoyed hanging out on the beach and eating at the small restaurants there. My major complaints were with the lack of responsiveness from staff, poor quality of the restaurant, and extreme overcharging for rides into town.

As far as the staff, they seemed to try hard but 1/2 the time didn't follow up on our requests. I had asked that a bottle of champagne be delivered to our room on our first night there as a surprise for my husband but because they never showed up I had to admit my plan to him and call the front desk to check up on things. Also, the hotel information book says that laundry pick up is before 10am, but when I called at 9:30 they told me the cut off was 9 and pretty much hung up on me. They have very few English language TV stations but will play DVDs from the front desk at your request. Unfortunately it took about 30 minutes for them to understand which DVD we wanted and to get it to play correctly.

The restaurant was way off - the Thai dishes were passable but the western dishes were terrible. It was as if the chef didn't have any sense of how certain things should taste. We ended up walking into the neighborhood for Thai food that was a million times better and 1/10 of the price.

Finally, to get from Patong to the resort in a taxi cost around 350 baht, yet the hotel charged us around 700 baht when they scheduled the ride. They should call a taxi for you and let you negotiate the price instead of running their own service.

*On the laundry topic - 1 small bag of laundry cost us almost $80US! We would have been much better off walking the .5 miles down the road and having one of the shops there wash everything for probably $10 max.

Overall I don't think we'd return to Phuket because we'd prefer somewhere more isolated and less overrun by tourists, but if friends were set on going to Phuket, wanted to be off the main beaches, and enjoy a lot of time just relaxing by the pool, then I'd say the Mangosteen was for them. I'd just recommend being independant and going outside the resort for food, laundry, etc.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kateb1977
Reviewed November 23, 2006

The Mangosteen is in a nice setting, beautiful landscaped gardens on the top of a hill with good views over the surrounding beaches, although for us it was a bit isolated.

There is an hourly shuttle to Nai Harn beach which is well worth a visit and you get free beach loungers. There are a few cheap restaurants and bars here as well and lots of taxis if you want to return later.

The rooms were lovely, very spacious with an outdoor jacuzzi bath. The pool area was good too, nice and refreshing with plenty of sun loungers and also a pool bar which serves food.

The restaurant was good, although slightly pricey and there wasn't a huge choice of Thai dishes. There is entertainment every night in the bar, although most nights it seemed very quiet and sometimes was completley empty.

The hotel can organise any trips and transfers, which were very good, although their own shuttles to Patong and Phuket Town are quite expensive. I would especially recommend and elephant trek.

I had a bad experience with the laundry service, they returned some white linen trousers into my wardrobe, when I took them out they had obviously had problems getting the stain out, so had cut it out and stiched a patch over instead! The management were apologetic however and did deduct 3000 baht off the bill, but I still wouldn't recommend their service!

Overall we had a nice stay, Phuket is great for a holiday but I wouldn't stay at the Mangosteen again. It is too isolated and ends up being quite expensive if you plan on staying for more than a few days and want to see the rest of the island.

Also be aware that they automatically add on 7% VAT and a 10% service charge to all food and drink that you order, so the prices end up being quite a bit higher than on the menus.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Natalie4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rawai
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
COMO Point Yamu
COMO Point Yamu
#1 of 2 in Pa Khlok

Been to Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa? Share your experiences!