We returned yesterday after a fantastic trip in Thailand tarnished by unfortunately a not-so-great experience with our accommodation. Maybe we were just unlucky and the hotel had a comedy of errors with our stay but in the interest of being transparent and honest I have to post a negative review. This hotel is listed as 4 stars on trip advisor but our experience was far from this. Some things are very minute and very picky things but we stayed in the Royal Jaccuzzi Suite and therefore one would expect optimal service (regardless of where you stay youd expect this). We are both 24yrs old and I have personally travelled internationally and within Australia staying in accomodation from back packers to villages to luxury hotels and am basing my feedback on what you'd expect for your $$.
1. We booked through groupon based on emails saying they were available for our time period. We purchased the groupon and booked the next day...only to have our period unavailable - obviously dissapointed we were persuaded to pay to upgrade - Upon arriving our upgrade was no longer available so we were upgraded for free (for the 2nd time....could be a good thing, seemed a little disorganised to me)
2. Nobody helped us carry our bags up the steep stairs to reception. (very punitive I know but it is a highly rated accommodation and you'd expect some sort of baggage assistance).
3. Check in took what felt like forever and we were constantly being sold "deals" etc for the hotel - massage/spa vouchers, dinner deals, breakfast coupons etc etc
4. The room itself was nice however throughout our whole stay and despite being moved for the same issue...the Jacuzzi (included in the title of the room!!!) never worked properly. The first room the taps weren't sealed and the water wouldn't warm, also we couldnt get the tap to work (instead of the shower head). the second room the jets would work intermittently (we gave up trying to use it). The cleaning staff did however put some nice flowers in it for us which was appreciated.
5. We had to pay to get a power adaptor....I personally found this to be very frustrating as I can't remember ever having to actually pay for one in a proper hotel, usually you are given one to return on checkout.
We met with one of the English team members called Lee and he was very sympathetic and helpful however I think we were too far gone.
The rest of our trip was great and the tours they recommended were awesome however the accommodation itself...not so awesome. I hope we were just unlucky!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa, Phuket. Located near Nai Harn Beach in the South of Phuket, Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa sits on a private hillside. This adult only Boutique Resort offers high standards of personalized service in a secluded and serene environment. Only 41 villa style rooms ensure privacy and tranquility. The rooms are designed as a "home away from home" by Interior Designer John Underwood to ensure guests have a most enjoyable stay. Surrounded by tropical gardens, each Villa feels like a piece of private paradise. Private Villa gardens offer a Jacuzzi tub. Enjoy the breathtaking views of the Andaman Sea and Phuket Island. All units are generous in space. The center of the resort consists of the 680 sqm free form pool, the Restaurant, the Lounge Bar and the Ayurveda Destination Spa. A free shuttle service is offered to the guests to make the short trip to Nai Harn beach, one of the best beaches in Phuket and Asia. Your unique Ayurveda Destination Spa Resort near Phuket's best beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Mangosteen Hotel Rawai
- Mangosteen Hotel Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa Phuket/Rawai