We first visited the Mangosteen in January 2010 and were thrilled when we were able to return. We had enjoyed our first stay here and had told many others about what a lovely place this was. We enjoyed being away from the hustle and bustle of the more touristy areas - and the aspects of Mangosteen that make it different from the larger resorts.
Reading the reviews of other travellers I was a bit worried about what we would find... However our visit lived up to our memories.
The stand out aspect of the resort is the friendliness and helpful attitude of the staff. Last time we were impressed when, after the first day the breakfast staff remembered our coffee order. Despite the fact that there are more guests now, the staff still made the effort to remember our order each day. The addition of some traditional Thai food at breakfast is a nice inclusion.
The pool is beautiful - and as a central feature of the resort is used to advantage. I agree with others who state that it is looking a bit tired, the bridges need repainting etc, but it is obvious that there are renovations and updates happening around the resort.
The villas are lovely - and I enjoy the outdoor shower/spa. We didn't find the rooms and furniture were musty as others have commented. The reviewer who complained about the old tv has a different idea of a holiday from me - I can't understand why you would want to watch tv with so many other options ... Our rooms were cleaned and refreshed quickly each morning - most times while we were at breakfast. Again, we found the house keeping staff very friendly and helpful.
We enjoyed exploring around the area more than we did last time, finding the great restaraunts at Rawai as well as returning to Nai Harn beach. The transfer to the beach is handy, although taxis are also quickly called.
Like others we had purchased a voucher, and we're expecting the 'hard sell' breakfast meeting. Our representative was delayed as he was signing up another couple, so when he finally came to speak to us we had finished breakfast and so were taken to see the two bedroom villa and then have the offer outlined to us. After listening we advised that the time wasn't right for us and were quickly let go. We didn't see our representative again. We weren't hassled during happy hour or other times during our stay.
The massages at the spa were very relaxing! The setting again makes the most of the natural beauty of the area. Having this included as part of the package was a bonus and the upgrade from 30 min to an hour is a must!
Our room was on the side of the resort without the great views, but we don't tend to spend time just sitting in our around our room, so it wasn't an issue. We upgraded to a spa/jacuzzi room, which we enjoyed. While we had requested a double, our room was a twin, with the beds converted into a double. This meant that there was a gap and ridge on the middle of the bed and a far larger edging on the base than if we had the standard double. It wasnt a huge issue ....
Our thanks goes again to the staff, who made our return visit to Mangosteen so enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa, Phuket. Located near Nai Harn Beach in the South of Phuket, Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa sits on a private hillside. This adult only Boutique Resort offers high standards of personalized service in a secluded and serene environment. Only 41 villa style rooms ensure privacy and tranquility. The rooms are designed as a "home away from home" by Interior Designer John Underwood to ensure guests have a most enjoyable stay. Surrounded by tropical gardens, each Villa feels like a piece of private paradise. Private Villa gardens offer a Jacuzzi tub. Enjoy the breathtaking views of the Andaman Sea and Phuket Island. All units are generous in space. The center of the resort consists of the 680 sqm free form pool, the Restaurant, the Lounge Bar and the Ayurveda Destination Spa. A free shuttle service is offered to the guests to make the short trip to Nai Harn beach, one of the best beaches in Phuket and Asia. Your unique Ayurveda Destination Spa Resort near Phuket's best beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Mangosteen Hotel Rawai
- Mangosteen Hotel Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa Phuket/Rawai