“Serenity”

Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Rawai
Brisbane, Australia
“Serenity”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I Booked the Mangosteen Resort on a voucher and paid for the upgrade, it was well worth it. This was our 30th wedding anniversary and a total surprise to my wife, she love it, the staff were helpfull and obliging, the Mangosteen made us feel special.The rooms were very large and comfortable and always clean. The breakfast needs more variety( Beans, Tomato and Onion and Mushrooms) The pool was great, the spa heaven. We hired a motor bike and explored all around Rawai and its beautiful beaches and restaurants the only way to go. If you feeling a little home sick for our food call in to DELISH CAFE 5/30 Fisherman Way Business Garden Chalong, Phuket, great food great company, thanks Greg & Liz for a great night. To summarise the Mangosteen great location good clean Hotel, great staff, will vist again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Royal Jacuzzi Villa
2 Thank jock44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Western Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We recently stayed at the Mangosteen Resort after purchasing a very affordable deal on-line. When I made the booking via the internet, I requested a room with a sea view and asked if it was possible to have our complimentary 'candlelit dinner for two' that night as it was our wedding anniversary.
The day we arrived we asked the receptionist about dinner and she suggested we talk to the chef 'Daniel', which we did and he was more than happy for us to eat in the restaurant at short notice & what a delightful man he was. The meal by the way was exceptional, one of the best we had in Phuket!
We were also greeted by our ‘meeting rep’ Ian on our arrival who was very pleasant and helpful and made us feel very special. We organised to meet for breakfast the next morning for our 'talk and tour of the resort' which was part of the deal. This went well, but a bit of a waste of time for us as it was completely out of our price range, we told them that and no further pressure was put on us. My only complaint would be, that after our initial breakfast meeting, we had to endure listening to all the salesmen recite the same spiel every morning at breakfast and sometimes dinner, to all the other guests, which after a while sort of made you feel like you weren’t that special after all, as they said the same things to everyone – but I suppose that is what it was all about.
Our room was not what I would have called 5 Star & I would have been disappointed had I paid full price for it, but it was clean and comfortable, but very dated and I could have put my finger through the gap in the window, which isn't good when there are mosquitoes everywhere. Our hot water also went off in the last couple of days, but once we told reception, it was fixed that day. We were also disappointed to find we had single beds & that our room was at the lower end of the complex next to the road (no sea view which we requested) - my husband spoke to the receptionist and he was told if we wanted a double bed we should have requested it and there was nothing else available. I would have thought that in a hotel that advertises 'romantic getaway' and 'couples only' it would have been more natural to request 'single beds' if you wanted them?? We did speak to other couples in the resort, all of whom had double beds & none of them requested them, so not sure what happened there – we had booked this hotel 12 months previous. That same day, Ian said he should be able to get us another room, but we didn’t hear back from him after we declined his offer, but it didn’t spoil our holiday.
The resort itself was lovely with a beautiful pool area, lovely gardens, friendly staff & delicious food. There was a great choice of breakfast each day which lasted us through to late afternoon. If you wanted to go down to the shops and restaurants, it was a bit of a hike down a very badly damaged road, which we were assured was going to be fixed soon – I felt very sorry for the many taxi drivers having to go along there and the poor driver from the resort who took guests down to the beach each day – he was a lovely man who even offered to drop my husband and I off at the shops one day & said he would pick us up on his return if we were ready. We did hire a car and drove ourselves about, which was great, but the hotel can organise that and taxis for you if you want.
We were pleased that we had taken up the internet offer and we loved our stay at the resort, but we would probably not return there due to the distance from everything, but I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending it to others. It is very quiet and private, away from the hustle and bustle, and they also have a gym and wonderful on-site Massage Therapists, just what you need on holidays!

3 Thank happyholiday08
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying for a week at the Mangosteen Resort - wish I was still there!

Upon arrival my travel companion and I were greeted by friendly staff and the lovely pool. Happy hours daily from 3-6.30pm saw us sampling an ice cold Singha beer and chatting with relaxed guests who had been there for a few days. All comments and reviews from those were positive and they recommended things to see and do.

We took advantage of the free shuttle service to the markets on Monday and Thursday nights, ventured to the nearby Nai Harn beach, again a free hourly shuffle to/from resort.

Free Internet access made it easy to stay in touch with family, friends and news from home.

I highly recommend taking part in the animal towel folding lessons and you must do the Thai cooking lessons - a lot of fun, fresh food, easy to prepare and cook and you get to eat it all (if you can). Spoil yourself and have an hour full body massage - bliss!

To all the staff, receptionists, chefs, waiters, room service, garden ears, laundry and management - thank you all for a wonderful holiday - I cannot wait to return.

Cheers,

Sue Griffin (Australia)

• Stayed March 2013
6 Thank Griff2311
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Mangosteen is very isolated of everything. When you are trying to find a place to relax it is very good thing. There were no kids and only couples so it was truly a place of relaxation and loading your batteries. You have to walk 5 minutes to get a nice priced taxi to go for dinner. The free shuttle goes to the beach and beach is quite nice but quite crowded.

We had the suite and it was really nice. Really spacious although the air condition did not work at the beginning, but luckily the service guys were able to fix it. Restaurant was really nice. The gym had very minimal equipment, but you can do something there if you are creative.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mosqito
oelstykke
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Unfortunately, we only stayed for 2 nights at Mangosteen Resort, when arriving to Phuket for the now 4th or 5th time, this February 2013.

It is incredbly beautiful at Mangosteen, the pool is amazing and the sea view is constant everywhere you go in the resort, the restaurant, the lobby, the pool, the gym, the spa...everywhere what a location.

the most appreciated point of Mangosteen, was that it was quiet, very peaceful, that alone, is a rare option in Phuket's junle of tourists and traffic.

We stayed at a "royal jacuzzi villa", incredible Villa with splendid bath, jacuzzi and a view straight out over the sea. There were even a hammock attached to all thi villas as far as I could see, nice detail.

The facillity was flourishing with beautiful plants, flowers, palm trees. We really felt like being in a tropical heaven. Not like our previous trip to Phukiet. The element "Thailand" is often left out of the atmosphere in exchange of modern hip & chic state of the art minimalistic fashion. That was definitely a big bonus to see a hotel keeping focus on authentic Thai style de'cor and architecture.

The restaurant served a great and large sized breakfast buffet. Everything you'd wish for and they even had good quality rye bread. That is a rare one in all our holidays spend in SE Asia, spot on! I think they bake the bread in house. Also freshly made shakes, I think there were about 6 choices of freshly made shakes every morning (not common sight either).

It's very cosy in the evening with the outside dining and dim light. The quality of the food was surprisingly high for a remote resort. We even came back to eat there after we moved to another resort. They have some amazing buffets, with a wide variety of Thai dishes.

Staff gets a thumbs up for great service constant smiling, they even take the time to explan what you're having, while they serve the food, or if its the buffet, they walk arround and tell you what you're have on the plate. On top of that, the food arrived very fast.

We truly regret we only stayed 2 nights, because the rest of our planned trip was far from the same level as Mangosteen Resort. We will be back and the next time for more than 2 nights. That is definitely for sure.

Thaks for the great but short stay! Wish you all the best:)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lisOelstykke
Blaine, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed March 22, 2013

A truly pristine resort! They keep the salt water pool clean and the patio areas well kept. The road leading to the resort is terrible! We did hear that the government is repairing the road soon. The resort would be great for people wanting to relax. It is a little tucked away if you want to walk anywhere. A 10 minute walk will get you to some busy streets, one with a sidewalk but not much to do and the other street has lots of street vendors, restaurants and the seven-elevens, but be careful when walking. We like to explore things, so we would walk around and go on excursion. We bought a promotional value for $299 on the internet. Beware- it includes a "timeshare" pitch. They were not high pressure and didn't chase us around. That was appreciated.

2 Thank Lesa G
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Arrived here under no illusions (after reading other reviews) that it was quite 'tucked away' - however I didn't realise how much. In order to get to any other restaurants it's a good 15 minutes walk down a bumpy hill with virtually no lighting - not great at night. The 'welcome' at reception wasn't much to speak of but they soon came round and were quite sweet by the end of my three days.

The room was very large but very dated - and without doubt the least "Thai-influenced" room I've stayed in in a long time. Just beige and green walls and dated furniture, including a TV that wouldn't look out of place in the 70s...it was an enormous grey box with 'clunk click' buttons... I suppose that made it charming to an extent, but I had far higher expectations for a resort that charges such a high price. I had an 'almost perfect' view from my breezy balcony, but for wishing the trees would be trimmed down so you could see the sea properly.

The food in the restaurant was okay but not spicy - this isn't the resort's fault as many tourist hotels in Thailand think Westerners can't handle spice - however the menu's spiciest dishes were marked with 2 chillies and with my hand on my heart, there was no chilli that I could taste. Although that was disappointing, the staff in the restaurant were excellent - so friendly and smiling and charming, that it almost didn't matter (almost!). Good breakfast and varied selection to set you up for the day.

The best thing - as many reviewers have said - about the Mangosteen is the pool area, which is, quite simply, gorgeous. It's nowhere near as large as the photos imply, but it is beautifully done nonetheless and I spent a very pleasant day relaxing here and swimming laps around the figure of eight pool which goes around the restaurant. It's a real suntrap as well so that's good to know if you're a sun bunny.

The beach at Nai Harn was stunning on the first morning I went there - so I went again my second day. Magnificent seafood (and spicy!) at the little beachside cafes, and at Thai prices too. It's only ten/fifteen minutes from the resort and the free hourly mini bus is a blessing - the taxi prices arranged by the resort are high, as is the price of the food and the standard Thai massage (almost five times the price of a massage on the beach and the quality certainly wasn't almost five times better).

One thing to watch is the travel time to the airport. The receptionist assured me I would only need 45 mins maximum - in fact it took a little over an hour and a half and I missed my flight.

All in all, don't expect a great Thai vibe (or much vibe at all really), or spicy food, or Thai-style modern rooms - but do expect somewhere with extremely well presented grounds, a lovely evening breeze and a good night's sleep guaranteed by the remoteness of it all. I definitely wouldn't go back, but once I got over the disappointment of my room reminding me of a couple of safari-lodges I've stayed at in Africa (random!) I had a nice enough time and was able to recharge the batteries, which at that time was all I wanted. With a revamp on the decor, this place would be an absolute winner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank KarenLN75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rawai
Navatara Phuket Resort
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong
Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket

Been to Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa? Share your experiences!