We spent 7 days at The Mangosteen in mid Feb and enjoyed our time there. We got a budget deal with Groupon for $199 , when buying it we didn't realise there would be a catch ... a sales pitch, not timeshare but a "Holiday Club" . We had a free breakfast on day 3 and a 2 hour "chat" about the options with Ian, who was very nice, very informative and also knowlegable about where to go and what to see around the southern end of Phuket Island. Later in the week we had another "chat" to see what we'd decided .. a tad awkward but .. I suppose they have a job to do.The reps were a bit pushy with the sales pitch but in the end "No" sufficed....
We were unfortunate enough to get one of the older rooms in need of renovating, which we were told will happen next year, it was nice enough but the decor was very dark and lighting not adequate, if not in bed we had to sit outside to read.
We met some lovely people there and on the Thursday night 8 of us were treated to a night out with the owners of Mangosteen, Hajo and Rose along with Richard and Ian, 2 of the reps to "The Sunrise Bar" at Rawai .... What a great night we had, one we will all long remember. Hajo is a lovely , genuine guy, obviously trying to make the Resort work. After spending 5 nights in Patong on the way home we now realise and appreciate how nice the quiet end of southern Phuket is. You definitely need transport as the Mangosteen is quite isolated .. we hired a scooter for 250bht (About $7 50 aus) a day from a place on the main road ... worth bartering and shopping around for price.. We travelled to all the beaches, Phuket Town and Aquarium, Big Buddah and were able to explore lots of out of the way places. Definitely the way to go :)
Pro's Nice location in southern Phuket, free shuttle Bus to Nai Harn Beach which is beautiful, happy hour 3-6 30pm everyday.. 2 for one drinks at the pool bar , served by the lovely Mac :) Fab pool, very clean and big, caters for all.
Con's .. Isolated with no transport, the sales pitch, older style rooms needing renovation, wifi poor. Our room was at the bottom of 3 sets of steps ... would have preferred a room higher up.the hill.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The family owned and managed resort is unique in its style and location. With the owners always around, there is real boutique resort and personal touch to it, a perfect place for honeymooners or simply for romantic people avoiding the crowds. The resort mainly caters for adults, making sure the peaceful atmosphere remains uninterrupted at all times. Mangosteen is the only Resort in Phuket with a permanent, onsite Ayurveda Doctor. He is the architect and mastermind of all treatments, consults and surveys progress of your cure and leads the team to make your spa visits a success. At the Mangosteen Resort, guests can spoil themselves with a luxury holiday, combining this wonderful experience with real health benefits under professional supervision! The restaurant specializes in authentic home-style cooked Thai Cuisine and Mediterranean delights. Everything is freshly prepared, which means it does sometimes take a bit longer. Special requests are always welcome! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Mangosteen Hotel Rawai
- Mangosteen Hotel Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa Phuket/Rawai