“Loved it!!”

Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Rawai
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Mangosteen in the last week of September, and we loved it. The resort is beautiful and everything the photos suggest. The staff are all lovely and will do anything to help, especially Mac who made our cocktails at happy hour and kept us laughing the whole time. I have severe food allergies and the restaurant staff were amazing, they took me so seriously and did everything they could to accommodate my needs. We also took a 2.5 hour package in the day spa which was just incredible. I had to buy some of the Mangosteen shampoo and conditioner to take home it was so good.
We loved the location of the resort as well, it was quiet and peaceful and much more relaxing to be further away from Patong. We were really close to a bunch of the islands you travel out to and some smaller ones that are great for snorkleing. The local beach, massages and food are all you need.
We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lissbinks

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Agree with earlier reviewer regarding the disrespect we received from the resort. We purchased a voucher which is valid until June 2013. I have been making enquiries as to date availability, and was asked to provide a lot of detailed personal information which I personally thought was unncessary for the purposes of making a booking, let alone a simple date enquiry. Once they had obtained this pesonal information, I received an email to say that my voucher would no longer be honoured and they had passed my details and information to another website. I have not received the courtesy of an explanation from the resort as to why they expect it is ok to not honour a contract. I spent a lot of time reading reviews about the resort before I decided to purchase the voucher and am not interested in dealing with a holiday company that charges even more $$ for taking a booking. Dishonourable and dishonest dealings.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Briskate
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed the in May 2012. The staff were great.
Do yourself a favor and get a scooter to hire! about $10AUD a day and it made our trip!
We were able to get familiar with the area and find little local cafes everywhere that were fantastic. We even got invited back to one of the owners house for dinner!
The people are just so lovable.
Enjoy your stay!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marc P
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here in October 2012 and loved it. Friends of ours stayed in July and recommended it to us so we booked a jacuzzi suite for a week which was very nice. After traveling for a month we were keen to be pampered and just kick back and relax by the awesome pool or by the bar. The restraunt had a great buffet breakfast with a good variety, lunch and dinner menu's were also really nice.
Day trips were easy to organise and there were a few guys who were helpful with advice on where to go, things to see, places to eat..etc.
The day spa was awesome! And it was the first place we had been where we werent hassled for tips. For some reason just knowing that made us feel more comfortable and relaxed..as we are Aussies and we are not used to tipping..it can be stressful when people keep putting thier hand out for money and you dont know how much to give or how much is too much or not enough. So it was great not to have to worry about this.
The hotel offer a free shuttle bus to and from the local beach which has sun lounges and umbrellas for use at about US$1 per hour...per person. There are plenty of outdoor restaraunts along the beach and we did have a really nice lobster lunch at one of them.
A trip to Patong beach or the night market was about 20 min - half hour in a taxi which cost about 500 baht one way. The location is the only downfall as its away from everything and not really within walkin distance to any popular places but we still enjoyed it as we were keen to just kick back and chill out after being constantly harassed..hounded and chased down for tips in Vietnam & Cambodia.

• Stayed: October 2012
6  Thank Kim M
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Very disappointed with the Golden Tulip Mangosteen Resort and Spa in Thailand. We had purchased an Our Deal voucher to use next February (voucher good till July 2013). We had heard nice things about the resort. When we went to book today, got a reply that they are NO LONGER HONOURING the vouchers and MAYBE another company might be able to help if you pay more $$$$$. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank LadyW888
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Hi. We stayed the last week just gone as overall were happy with our stay. I'll start from the top-the voucher and booking. Apart from the 'presentation' which I will mention later, the voucher was as advertised as promoted by cudo so no dramas there. I thought the communication by the resort was top notch as we have the dates all confirmed before purchasing the voucher which was really helpful and re-assuring. We did change the voucher slightly by upgrading for an extra $20 a night or so, so overall (forgetting the extras) it was about $60 a night so for Thailand value I was expecting a pretty high level of accomodation. I didn't find the actual webstre that easy to use it seemed a bit clunky(just ability to change prices and dates seemed harder than it had to be) but otherwise it ran very smoothly. They generally emailed back on queries within about 6 hours which was impressive. We ordered pick up from the airport about 1200 each way or maybe less which I thought was initially expensive but having caught a bus and coach and taxi on previous trips I could not have been happier with the pickup service. They were at the gate when we turned up and on time when they dropped us off. So thumbs up for that part. Like other people have said when you turn onto Soi Mangosteen-which the resort is about halfway down you do intially think bad thoughts as it is rough but as soon as you hit the resort gates all those thoughts are pushed to the back of your mind. The driveway is impressive by itself and the place has a special feel about it straight away. We arrived about 10:30 at night and the staff were attentive and extremely helpful. I must make a point-throughout the whole stay the staff including Resort Manager Michael were extremely helpful and basically left us alone unless we needed something. It was much appreciated as we prefer it that way. Our room was 111 and was down towards the bottom of the resort-there was only a view of the lawn area but we were out of the way and had no disturbances at all. As I mentioned we would have upgraded further if we realised how good the jacuzzi rooms were. When Michael showed us around the rooms with the high balcony with the spa on the balcony were a standout. If you get a chance pay the extra money for those rooms. The views and rooms are top notch. The room itself with the outside shower and spa was extremely impressive. It was thai in style and very large. The air conditioning was fantastic as well-extremely cold and comfortable. No complaints at all about room service or information in the room-everything that we needed was there.
The pool area is extremely large and never full and you could easily roam around the resort pool for the day if you wanted to. The pictures of the pool don't do it justice and it is easily the highlight of the resort-you can even swim around the restaurant. We didn't use the spa but all other guests raved above the spa and it did look impressive-it is more expensive than street massages but obviously at a much higher level and quality and they seem to do some interesting things in there. They showed us couple massage beds which looked impressive.
The restaurant was serviceable and like all resort restaurant was more expensive than other restaurants but not ridiculously so. We only had the club sandwich from there on a voucher and also with Michael the resort manager and it was decent. People seemed to be most impressed by the thai night and the thai cooking class-we skipped the former but noticed a couple doing the latter and it looked like a lot of fun.
I'll only mention the 'holiday club' once as it seems to have been mentioned alot and probably not fairly. I have been to one that was similar before and been pressured and in no way was this the same. They almost weren't selling it but more suggesting it and it has obvious benefits. I can't comment on the other staff but Michael showed us around and was extremely helpful. We did notice the other promotion staff around but were not disturbed at all by them during our stay. I can see potential problems as they could be loud but I had no issues and couldn't see how anyone else could have issues with the promotion. In fact they didn't get a chance to follow it up for us and it ended up being a free lunch for us and a look around the resort.
The location is as advertised and although away from the hustle and bustle of patong it seems to be the reason to choose the resort. Transport is easy to get and we caught the free shuttle to nai harn one day and walked down to rawai on a few nights. The resort is 30 mins by walk from rawai but there are plenty of shops and restaurants around if you go for a stroll.
Last point- I would rate it as probably 4 1/2 stars as have stayed at a 5 star resort before and it isn't at that level but it is streets above af anything else you can get for that price-the voucher price- by pre-booking before you come to the country. Overall very happy with the resort and the staff were fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
17  Thank BrettMurphy78
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We too bought a voucher for a very reasonably priced week here and then upgraded to a Jacuzzi Suite. We really couldn't fault the Thai staff during our stay who were polite, attentive and helpful. With regards to the sales team, our voucher didn't commit us to any timeshare presentation so we declined the offer and remained under the radar. We were not subject to any hassle following this decision and had very little interaction with the sales guys. However, they are a major fixture here - they do drink at the bar and eat at the restaurant. If I had of been subjected to any demands this would have made me feel uncomfortable. My partner did witness an argument between one of the sales guys and a couple who had declined the offer of a timeshare however we kept well out of it - we were happy to remain incognito! Our room was lovely and spacious however when we arrived the was a definite smell of damp, as if the room hadn't been ventilated properly. We assumed it would clear up over the week but it didn't. We bought some incense sticks from the hotel shop to try and mask the smell and on reflection, probably should have complained and not been so diplomatic. It was a shame really because the actual room was clean apart from a dusty headboard and it therefore detracted away from the hard work of the cleaning staff. By the time we left the sheets and remaining clothes in our suitcases had a slightly damp odour to them. We stayed in Room 303 and the only other issue we had was some form off electrical spark every time the fridge recharged. This would happen several times a day/night where could see a flash of light behind the fridge. We reported this to the staff.

The food for us was the real let down here. I note that other reviewers rated the food highly which proves that reviews like this are purely subjective and reliant on expectation, past experiences, culinary knowledge etc. We had some excellent meals out whilst over here and the quality of the hotel food just did not compare. We went to the Thai buffet night which left us both feeling jaded. The food was quite stodgy, not like I perceive Thai food to be. We had a superb meal out at the Boathouse and frequented DaVinci's down the road in Rawai too - lovely fresh Italian food which was a welcome break from Asian cuisine.

The pool area may be smaller than average but it is more than made for by the beautiful setting. No complaints in that department. Yes the hotel is isolated but we were aware of this before we booked and anyone that has done their research should know this. The road does need to be re-surfaced but this has not impacted on my rating of this hotel.

This hotel in my view is a 3 star, comparable to the other hotels I have stayed in over the world. Although there is room for improvement, in light of the money we spent to stay here (320 GBP) we can't complain too much.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank KirstyJ26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rawai
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
The Pavilions Phuket
The Pavilions Phuket
#3 of 36 in Choeng Thale
Ayara Kamala Resort & Spa

Been to Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa? Share your experiences!