We too bought a voucher for a very reasonably priced week here and then upgraded to a Jacuzzi Suite. We really couldn't fault the Thai staff during our stay who were polite, attentive and helpful. With regards to the sales team, our voucher didn't commit us to any timeshare presentation so we declined the offer and remained under the radar. We were not subject to any hassle following this decision and had very little interaction with the sales guys. However, they are a major fixture here - they do drink at the bar and eat at the restaurant. If I had of been subjected to any demands this would have made me feel uncomfortable. My partner did witness an argument between one of the sales guys and a couple who had declined the offer of a timeshare however we kept well out of it - we were happy to remain incognito! Our room was lovely and spacious however when we arrived the was a definite smell of damp, as if the room hadn't been ventilated properly. We assumed it would clear up over the week but it didn't. We bought some incense sticks from the hotel shop to try and mask the smell and on reflection, probably should have complained and not been so diplomatic. It was a shame really because the actual room was clean apart from a dusty headboard and it therefore detracted away from the hard work of the cleaning staff. By the time we left the sheets and remaining clothes in our suitcases had a slightly damp odour to them. We stayed in Room 303 and the only other issue we had was some form off electrical spark every time the fridge recharged. This would happen several times a day/night where could see a flash of light behind the fridge. We reported this to the staff.
The food for us was the real let down here. I note that other reviewers rated the food highly which proves that reviews like this are purely subjective and reliant on expectation, past experiences, culinary knowledge etc. We had some excellent meals out whilst over here and the quality of the hotel food just did not compare. We went to the Thai buffet night which left us both feeling jaded. The food was quite stodgy, not like I perceive Thai food to be. We had a superb meal out at the Boathouse and frequented DaVinci's down the road in Rawai too - lovely fresh Italian food which was a welcome break from Asian cuisine.
The pool area may be smaller than average but it is more than made for by the beautiful setting. No complaints in that department. Yes the hotel is isolated but we were aware of this before we booked and anyone that has done their research should know this. The road does need to be re-surfaced but this has not impacted on my rating of this hotel.
This hotel in my view is a 3 star, comparable to the other hotels I have stayed in over the world. Although there is room for improvement, in light of the money we spent to stay here (320 GBP) we can't complain too much.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa, Phuket. Located near Nai Harn Beach in the South of Phuket, Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa sits on a private hillside. This adult only Boutique Resort offers high standards of personalized service in a secluded and serene environment. Only 41 villa style rooms ensure privacy and tranquility. The rooms are designed as a "home away from home" by Interior Designer John Underwood to ensure guests have a most enjoyable stay. Surrounded by tropical gardens, each Villa feels like a piece of private paradise. Private Villa gardens offer a Jacuzzi tub. Enjoy the breathtaking views of the Andaman Sea and Phuket Island. All units are generous in space. The center of the resort consists of the 680 sqm free form pool, the Restaurant, the Lounge Bar and the Ayurveda Destination Spa. A free shuttle service is offered to the guests to make the short trip to Nai Harn beach, one of the best beaches in Phuket and Asia. Your unique Ayurveda Destination Spa Resort near Phuket's best beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotel.de, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Mangosteen Hotel Rawai
- Mangosteen Hotel Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort Nai Harn
- Mangosteen Resort & Ayurveda Spa Phuket/Rawai