“Awesome Experience”

Sabai Sabai Thai Cooking School & Restaurant
Ranked #145 of 242 Restaurants in Rawai
Cuisines: Thai
Description: Sabai Sabai Cooking School & Restaurant is a modern, friendly little diamond run by head chef and teacher Ton Kanyarat and her business partner and sous chef Nam Pheung. Serving delicious and affordable traditional Thai, fusion and a fantastic special selection of Western dishes, any trip to Sabai Sabai will not disappoint. The cooking school is run on a 1-on-1 basis only, or small groups by arrangement, ensuring that every course taken is unique to you and tailored to exactly your needs. Come in a see for yourself, you will not be disappointed. Just read our reviews to see what our customers think...!
Vancouver, Canada
“Awesome Experience”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

This was one of the top highlights of our trip. My wife and I called up Sabai Sabai and booked in for a morning cooking class. We chose the three dishes that we wanted to cook and she had all the fresh ingredients ready to go as soon as we arrived the next day.

We prepared all the ingredients and did all the cooking, but Ton, the owner, did an incredible job explaining each step, not only how to do it, but why. She's a great teacher! We made Pad Thai, Fried Rice and Red Curry Chicken.

The food in the end was better then any of the food we had eaten on the whole trip, and we had tried some very good restaurants, it was really, really good.

The best thing about our class was that it felt intimate, customized and personal. Nothing touristy at all. Ton made us feel so comfortable, she was great!

We would highly, highly recommend anyone to do this if you love Thai food like we do! You'll gain a much better appreciation of the food and flavors after taking this class. Ton and her assistants are 1st rate!

• Visited January 2012

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Authentic Thai Food, Great Value and Friendly Service”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I Highly recommend you visit here for a meal prepared by Chef Ton and served by her friendly staff .
It is without doubt one of the best restaurants in Phuket for AuthenticThai food.

Chef Ton hosts Thai cooking classes which I attended in Jan 2012.
The classes are personalized to one on one or a maximum of 4 (friends).
Chef Ton has a unique teaching method that ensures understanding of what you are doing and why you do things in a specific way and sequence.
In one afternoon I prepared (under direction from Chef Ton)
Pad Kra Prauw Gai (Stir-fried chicken with chilli & basil leaves)
Gaeng Keaw Wan Gai (Green curry chicken)
Khao Pad Goong (Fried rice with prawns)
I was totally blown away by the taste and flavors of the dishes I had prepared.(with guidance)
It was like they had been cooked by a Highly Experienced Thai Chef - Well they had been because Chef Ton is just that, an experienced AuthenticThai chef.

If you want to take home on of the best piece's of Thailand (the food) then I highly recommend you take one of the courses at Sabai Sabai Thai Cooking School with Chef Ton.

And if you don't want to do the class then at least do yourself one of the best favors and have a meal there, prepared by Chef Ton and served by her great friendly staff and even meet Jacki her cute Shitsu.
I guarantee you will go back again and again.

Thank-you Chef Ton for unlocking your secrets of Thai cooking to me and I will now enjoy preparing Authentic Thai meals in my own home.

Warn Regards
Glenn Mitchell (Misheff) Australia

Visited January 2012
Phuket, Thailand
“Good location, Delicious & Unique dishes, Great Value, Friendly Staff”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I've been living & working in the Chalong are of Phuket for over 4 years now with my Thai wife so we have tried many local thai restaurants in the area over those years. We spotted Sabai Sabai Cooking School & Restaurant as we used to drive past the place often. The only thing that made us try it was that the sign advertises a cooking school, so we figured the food must be alright or they wouldn't be teaching other people how to cook it. We we're dead right, the food is delicious.

We really enjoyed the food but worried that within a month or two the standards would drop, as is the case with so many restaurants in Phuket. We have been eating here for almost a year now and not only has the menu increased but the quality of the food hasn't slipped an inch.

I have never took a cooking course here but I know many that have and the reviews have all been very positive. I hate cooking, no matter how good the outcome!!!!! This is why I come here often with my wife and little girl as it's as cheap as shopping for groceries, the food never spoils and you don't have to clean up after yourself!!!!!

I am originally from the UK so it was interesting to find out that "Ton" the owner & chef spent 8 years working in hotels, kitchens and restaurants in London before she came back to Phuket to open Sabai Sabai. So not only will you find great thai food on the menu but there are also some culinary treasures from the UK in there too. Ton has mastered the good old english breakfast and if your a Cantonese (Chinese) food fan then your gonna love the crispy duck with pancakes and Hoy Sin Sauce.

Children are well catered for and custom portions can be ordered. Wifi is free to all customers and I especially like the audio, video setup that they have. A laptop is viewed through a 47inch HD TV suspended in the dining area. Nice touch for youtube music videos and other internet content. My daughter is usually kept busy with barney or thomas the tank engine!!! They also have an ipod station hooked up to the restaurants sound system if you want to put on your own music.

Over the past 5 months, the the amount of people eating here has steadliy increased, mostly western expats, diving instructors and teachers so it's a great place for finding "out what's on" during your stay in Phuket.

I have two minor gripes when it comes to Sabai Sabai . . .

1. They only open from 5pm until 10pm on Sundays so my english breakfast is out of the question on my only day off!!!

2. It's one of the only properties on the soi (Street) that doesn't have a fresh lick of paint on it's store front (but most people don't seem to notice).

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank PhuketDan
Ajax, Canada
“Sabai Sabai really is "easy easy"”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I was in Phuket (Rawai/Chalong) for a month and probably ate at Sabai Sabai about 20 times. When you go you really feel part of the family. It was ultra-convenient for me, being adjacent to Kiwidiver where I was doing all my diving. That being said, I would still have driven from Rawai to go to this place. The service is outstanding and the food is incredibly good value. For the westerner, a big Leo beer and a top notch Pad Thai for the cost of a Starbucks is a heck of a deal!

The place is also a hub for part of the local diving community and you can sit and have a beer with locals and ex-pats alike and get the low-down on all the good stuff to do and.....just for the fun of it.....the local gossip too. If you are like me, you really want to experience local life when you travel, and I really can't think of a better place to do it than this. Chalong is NOT Patong or Kata, which is a blessing as far as I am concerned - I really have no interest in tourist traps or the drunken excesses associated with those places - there are now very few places on the island where you can actually get away from it and I was fortunate in finding such a haven.

Ton the owner also runs cookery classes from the restaurant , and although I personally did not partake, I met a couple of people that did and they were ecstatic about the experience.... I was able to observe from the patio so I could tell a good time was had by all.

Certainly I have no reservations about recommending Sabai Sabai as a place to eat or as a cooking school or as a place just to "be". When I look back on this last November in Thailand I would certainly rate it as one of the top 3 things that I enjoyed the most.

I love finding a hidden gem!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank aquascuba
Canuck
“Made to feel like "Queen of the Kitchen" :) ... Loved it !!”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

'Sabai Sabai' means 'Easy Easy' in Thai, and Ton (the owner and chef of Sabai Sabai) made it just that.
Arrived at the school/restaurant at 9:00am to join her for her daily trip to the local markets for the day's ingredients. She purchases perishables fresh every morning for that days cooking.
I'll be making 5 dishes today: Vegetable Spring Rolls, Vegetable Pad Thai, Green Curry with Chicken, Satay Chicken Skewers and Prawn Lemongrass Salad .... so we made a list and off we went.
First stop in open air market right around the corner from the school ... it's only open until 10am so we started there. By 9:15 it's almost picked clean! We're able to find some of the produce we need but no chicken or prawns. We need to drive to Kata for the next market. We were able find the prawns (some still wriggling) and she shows me how to choose the best ones ... when I get back home I'll still buy them from the grocery store :) .
Back at the school, we wash all of the produce, then behead, skin and clean the shrimp. In order to 'sanitize' the shrimp ... we sprinkle them with salt, add some white vinegar and stir them around for a bit ... then rinse them until the water is clean. Into the fridge they go! Next is cutting the chicken for the satay and green curry. Then we start prepping the Tamarid juice that is needed for 3 of the 5 dishes followed by the cutting of ALL of the vegetables. Thank goodness I picked up a notebook last night ... I'd never be able to remember all of the steps!
The one day course usually takes 5-6 hours to complete, mine took a little longer as I needed to find substitutes for the fish ingredients due to a severe allergy in the family. Ton was very accommodating and creative.
It was the best 3,000 baht I've ever spent ... Can't wait to get home and try it out myself ! YOU SHOULD GO !!!!

• Visited November 2011