“Amazing setting and superb staff”

Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Rawai
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Amazing setting and superb staff”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Very nice settings just at the beach/chalong bay. The garden view suite was just wonderful, large balcony and quite well equipped kitchen. Only downside is the location, not easy to walk the street since no pavements and not always easy finding a taxi once away from the hotel.
The service is extremely well and helpful with almost everything.
The restaurant makes ok food, however the quality good be a bit better.
We wanted to learn to kite surf, and this location was great since many kite surf schools are located right next door.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Urs A, General Manager at Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Adam,
Thank you very much for your review and our team is happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Serenity!
Sincerely, Urs - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
OSLO
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We have stayed in many hotels in Phuket and the best thing with this hotel is the staff. Everyone is nice smiling and helpful and you feel very welcome. Dingo at the pool is taking good care of everyone and extra care for the young ones is worth mention.
The restaurant is serving very good and delicate food and the prices are OK. The location is a bit far off from other restaurants and shops but that was no surprise after have been reading the reviews.
The two nearby restaurants in the main street are good and inexpensive and they are good alternatives if you are staying for 10 days as we did. We recommend also to take a taxi to Rawaii beach/ harbour to eat in the evening to get a change.
The excursion to Coral island was good but quite expensive. A suggestion from me would be to let the hotel arrange a form of regular shuttle service to this island during high tide to a cheaper fare than the excursion. Sell optional picnic to take along to compensate for loss of revenue you will have from the restaurant/bar. The only reason for the hotel to have this kind of shuttlel service is due to the fact that the water outside the hotel is not good for taking a nice swim and the beach on both sides of the hotel is quite unclean with bits of glas and garbage.
The hotel rooms are very comfortable with nice beds and large terraces.
The pool is clean and not too crowded. Some of the sun beds are well used and need to be changed.
The roof top sun deck is very nice with a lot of wind which is refreshing. To be even better some paint on the floor on the left side will rise the impression of the quality of the hotel.
A big plus for the hotel is the free shuttle service to the beach and to Patong.

Room Tip: garden or ocean view suits should be selected to get a nice terrace
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Urs A, General Manager at Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Thank you so much for your review and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at Serenity.
As you mention correctly, the beaches on the East coast of Phuket are not for swimming during low tide as the water receeds a long way.
We do clean up the beach in front of the resort but naturally we are not able to look after all of Rawai beach which is several kilometers long.
We are in the process of revarnishing both sides of the rooftop wooden deck and as you point out correctly in your review, one side is already done and the other side will be done within the next few days.
The sunbeds are also undergoing the yearly maintenance at this moment.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I selected to stay in this hotel after reading the positive reviews in this forum. While good service, superb food and clean rooms are already praised by many. Enjoying breakfast while watching the tranquil sunrise by the poolside is strongly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ken,
Thank you very much for your review and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our service and the nice sunrise at Serenity!
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The downside is that the location is a bit out of the way of everything. Nothing much happens in Rawai and you have to taxi everywhere. Secondly theres not really any beach.

However the rooms are great and the pool really nice. I have never stayed at a hotel with better service and especially at this price range. The included breakfast is really good.

The fitness room is well equipped

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your kind review and compliments.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Serenity.
As you mention correctly, our resort is located on the more quiet East coast of Phuket island away from the large tourism centers of the island, so its perfect to relax.
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This was the second stop on our tour. We travelled from Chiang Mai, a beautiful city but no beach.
On arrival we upgraded to a garden view suite; the room was large with all the things you would expect of a top class hotel with a great view over Chalong Bay.

It was my birthday on the day we arrived and the hotel presented me with a birthday cake, thankfully without all the candles :-). It was a nice touch and got our stay off to a great start,

We were B&B. The meals are all in the East 88 restaurant at the pool area, by the beach. It is a beautiful setting. The breakfast was superb with a great variety if meals. There are lots of staff; waiters, waitresses, chefs all ready to help you.

They have a number of events during the week focused around the restaurant, however the events where not well attended. Also the BBQs were in the restaurant, no sizzling griddle.
The bar area across the pool was chilled and the best night was the DJ night, the young lady was very professional, great sounds and she came to ask for requests. We sat in the bar with friends having a great time,

The rooms are cleaned every day and the kitchen area well stocked.
The reception staff are excellent, as are all the staff. Friendly, informative, genuinely wanting you to have a great time.
Quick mention to Jaew in the restaurant and apologies I forget his name, also the guy who ran the pool area, they were both outstanding.

There were families at the resort but it is a couples paradise.
Access to Rawai Beach is a couple km's away it is not the noisy, built up, metropolis of some resorts. It is quiet, beautiful and the chill factor we wanted.

Enjoy, it is a great hotel

Room Tip: I did not see the serenity rooms we originally booked as we went into a garden view suite, but our r...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Urs A, General Manager at Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you very much for your review and we are certainly happy to hear that you had a great time at Serenity!
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My hubby and I loved Serenity! Out of the three hotels we booked in Phuket (Patong, Phi Phi Island and Rawai Beach), this was the hotel we were the most worried about since we had booked it last minute. Fortunately for us, we found it absolutely wonderful!

We were lucky because the manager was kind enough to upgrade us to the penthouse suite which came with a private rooftop pool. Let me just say that this suite blew me away! The bathroom was big and clean (I like nice bathrooms....). There was a kitchen/dining area, balcony, and then stairs upstairs where there were two sunbeds and a small pool with the most amazing view. The tide comes in and out at different hours, so yes, sometimes the beach doesn't look quite like a "beach." But, when the tide is in, the view is amazing. However, I will admit that my hubby and I never actually went down to use the main pool or even walk on the beach.... we really had no reason to go there because we had our own private pool area, which I will say again, was AMAZING.

The only time we went downstairs was for the breakfast buffet which is decent. I only say its decent because our first hotel had the most amazing breakfast buffet I've ever had (Destination hotel in Patong), BUT, if I hadn't started there first.. I would have been absolutely happy with this buffet. There are no complaints. I will say that I did have one sour experience with a female waitress who completely ignored me when I stood right in front of her and requested a cup of coffee... but she seemed to try to make up for it by coming to my table to tell us of other drinks available. Anyway, all the male employees were super friendly, nice and sociable. It was kind of weird because my hubby and I both noticed that all the male employees were very kind... the ladies at the front desk are also kind, but some do not speak English as well as others.

The only thing that might be a concern is the location. There is a 7-11 right across the street which is convenient, and if you walk maybe 10minutes down the street, there are some hole in the wall restaurants. For the most part, however, you will need to either borrow the bicycles from the hotel (free of charge, but its a gamble whether they are available because other vacationers may have taken them out) or rent scooters. You can find scooter rentals everywhere--we went across the street and got the cheapest scooter, which was 250 baht for 24 hours. It's pretty cheap and well worth it!

When you come out of the hotel and make a left, you will find fruit markets maybe 5 min down on the scooter. 10 minutes down, the road will eventually come to a dead end (pier) or you will have to turn right. At the pier, theres a back alley to the left where there is a fresh seafood market and tons of restaurants (also a lady selling coconut water for only 40 baht!!). If you turn right, you can head towards kata beach, patong beach, etc... there are signs, so its quite easy. My hubby and I never used a map and never got lost.

There is a restaurant called Mao's??? I believe.. that was SO ridiculously cheap. For most of our meals during our entire trip, it cost at least 120 baht for one plate. At Mao's, we ordered 3 plates for 180 baht total and the food was great!!! My hubby liked this place the most out of all the thai food we had, so I highly recommend it. It's not far from the hotel... probably about 10 min down on a scooter. There is also a raw food/vegan restaurant only 5 min down from the hotel and it is exceptional. I loved loved loved the chocolate protein smoothie, rawsagna and vegan burrito. I highly recommend it if you are into healthy eats.

Also, my hubby and I like to work out so we made use of the gym. It was small but had good equipment and I didn't feel "dirty" in there.. nothing was old and rusty, and I had no qualms about their gym!

I will admit that our stay here was amazing because of our unbelievable suite... can't say much about the other rooms, but if you're looking for a quiet stay and don't mind going out and about on your own, then this is a nice place for you! The hotel was clean, accommodating and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank achung03
Thank you so much for your review and i will certainly pass on your compliments to our team!
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This hotel turned out to be pretty much exactly as I had expected. I'd say it was a quality 4 star establishment / low end 5 star (whichever way you want to look at it), with prices reasonable for what you get, by Phuket standards at least.

Stayed in a Serenity Suite for around 7,500 baht a night. Beautiful room, loads of space, large balcony, well furnished, clean and good overall vibe to it (nice Feng Shui, I guess you could say). No sea view, however, (stayed in building B), view only of the adjacent building, which was a shame.

I wouldn't choose it if I was looking for a resort to spend most of the time in - the beach is not a swimming (or sunbathing) beach - it's a tidal mudflat, basically, but it's kinda pretty, and the pool is nice. But you'd be a bit bored stuck here for days on end. They have shuttle buses to the nearest beach and into town, but they only go once a day, i think, it's not like a regular service.

Still, as we were there for diving and had all our excursions pre-planned, this was a perfect base within easy reach of Chalong pier, and it worked just fine.

Food was mostly very good, although service on the very busy Valentine's night we were there was pretty terrible. Most of the time it was quite ok though. Didn't get bored eating in the hotel restaurant for each of the four nights, which is a good job as there's not much else around the neighbourhood.

Most of the time the atmosphere was very relaxed and the resort didn't feel busy at all, but not empty either.

As far as the difference between four and five star goes, it's all about the small things, and here are some of my thoughts on things that stood out:

Breakfast: Served until 11am, and great coffee (good). "Frankfurter" type sausages (better than the ones in 7-Eleven, but not by much) - bad. An investment in proper meaty pork sausages would be a great addition.

Sun cream provided at the pool for guests who have forgotten theirs. (very good)

Towels in the room quite ok, but not luxurious. Would be a cheap item to upgrade and would add to the class of the place.

Wellies for guests to borrow so they can go for a walk on the beach / mudflat and search for crabs and other critters would be nice. Without them, you basically can't go on this beach.

Amenities in the room are great, apart from the conditioner. Don't know what's wrong with it, but it's smelly, and doesn't lather up properly. Shower gel, body lotion and shampoo come in lemongrass scent and are great - remind me of Occitaine.

Check in / check out: The system here is a bit weird. They take a deposit on check in of 2000 baht a night. Actually this is a 'hold' on the credit card, but they give u a receipt for the amount and it appears like you've actually paid the amount in advance. I've never had this at any other hotel. Normally you just hand over your credit card on check in, and that's it. They don't tell you how much they are holding, and don't give you any transaction receipt. Maybe some guests prefer to know, but it's not SOP at five star branded estalishments and feels a strange - like you are paying a deposit in case you run off with stuff. I think the way this is communicated could be better. I think it often causes confusion judging by some other comments here.

Check out - this is the bit that really annoyed me. When we went to check-out, we were told (very nicely, of course), to 'wait a moment whilst the maid checks the mini bar / room'. This translates to the average person as 'we don't trust you not to have stolen anything or not told us what you took from the mini-bar, so wait there and we will tell you when we've checked and you are free to go'. This is NOT GOOD AT ALL. The hotel already have the credit card details. A simple 'did you have anything from the mini-bar last night?', followed by proceeding to issue the bill would suffice. If there was any shortage, they could charge the card later. And anyway, it's not like anyone is going to run away at the speed of light before they can check. Most hotels have a system to control this, but they don't tell the guest. It's like being at a restaurant and saying 'wait there whilst I check you wrote down a room number that matches the name'. They obviously don't say that, (but also they obviously check), so don't do it on check-out either.

This is an unfortunate practice that seems to be unique to Thai four star and below properties. It needs to be written out of the hotel administration SOP handbook immediately.

Anyway, all in all, a very pleasant stay, and would recommend to others.

2 Thank tony_newman
Dear Tony,
Thanks very much for your detailed review and comments, which i will certainly share with our team to improve where necessary.
Our shuttle bus service to Patong and Nai Harn is actually a regular service and we go at the same time each day.
I will discuss the issue with the credit card upon check-in and check-out with our team at the front office. As you point out correctly, we dont charge the card upon check-in, we merely swipe it as a guarantee in the same way as other hotels do.
The minibar issue is certainly an interesting one. Should we trust all guests to tell us exactly what they had the night before the check-out and risk to have to make a late charge on the credit card is a guest "forgets" to inform us correctly or shall we check the minibar when the guest is paying the bill and is about to depart in order to avoid late charges to guests cards?
Both systems have their pros and cons of course.
Sincerely, Urs - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rawai
Navatara Phuket Resort
Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 321 in Patong

Been to Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket? Share your experiences!