“Fantastic Stay”

Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Rawai
Reviewed April 7, 2011

My friend and I stayed at this resort for three days. We will definitely recommend this resort and will definitely stay there again when visiting Phuket again next year.
Initially we had a problem, as we booked a room with a "seaview" only to discover that it really is only a "partial seaview" as the resort consists of several buildings and some of them obscured our view. We were fortunately upgraded to a room with a better room after the front desk staff discussed our problem with the manager. The staff are efficient, friendly, helpfull and can converse properly in English. We would like to express our special thanks to "Man" who works at the concierge/tour desk. He really went the extra mile for us during our stay. The rooms are spacial, clean, well equipped and all furnishings and equipment in a supurb condition. We are not big party goers so the hotel was perfectly quietly situated. However those looking for night life might prefer a beach with more activities available. I must mention however that the hotel provides special theme evenings every night with a local DJ entertaining guests.

Room Tip: 2 bedroomed units have the better views
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
UrsPhuket, General Manager at Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2011

Dear Guests, we really appreciate your review and compliments. It gives our team always great pleasure and motivation to learn that their efforts are appreciated by our guests. Sincerely Urs - General Manager

Reviewed April 1, 2011

Pure quiet and relaxation! Serenity is here. From check in to check out the staff were friendly and helpful, always wanting to make your time at the resort a great experience. We stayed in the garden view suite (110 sqM) complete with kitchen dining and lounge area. There was a large screen TV in the lounge and one in the bedroom, a huge bedroom and bed, large bathroom with a super size bath and separate shower, toilet and double basin and mirror area. The rooms were cleaned everyday and also a night turn down which consisted of a tidy, all blackout blinds drawn and bed turned down with flowers on each side. The restaurant had both western and Thai food ... we opted for the
Thai food which was great and also great value. I tried all the different cocktails yum!
The fitness centre was very well equiped and all machines and weights were in perfect order ( gym was open 24hrs if you felt like a quick workout ). We had a treatment at the the resorts Senses Spa, both of us chose the Lomi Lomi 60 minute massage with a complimentary half hour pure back massage. The spa was a sensory experience! The smell of the aromatherapy oils burning the sound of the waterfall and soft music and lighting, highly recommended. The beach looks beautiful but is not for swimming as it is shallow for about 1 klm out. The hotel offers a free shuttle to Nai Harn beach if you want to swim or watch a fantastic sunset. There is also a shuttle to Patong at night. Just outside the hotel is a taxi stand 400THbt to Karon or 600THbt to Patong for shopping. The Hotel has Kayaks to paddle out to the close islands and a yoga and cooking classes. If you are looking for peace and quiet this is your place This is not a place for night life or young ones looking for a good time, it is definately for chilling out. There is plenty to do ..like day trips to Phi Phi or bond Island, snorkeling and shopping or a day at the beach. The big Buddah is only about 10ks away.

Room Tip: This is the perfect place to chill out and relax
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TribalBunny

Thank you very much for your wonderful review which is certainly appreciated. We will pass on the compliments to our team members. Sincerely, Urs-General Manager

Reviewed March 31, 2011

I was very sure this is the place we wanted to stay when we saw the helicopter view of the resort on the website. I book it through the iPrefer website and members got a good deal stay 3 and pay for 2 nights. I booked the serenity room but then later we decided to have unblocked views of the sea. When our reservation was confirmed, I email the hotel but the serenity 1bedroom seaview was fully booked and they offered us the 2 bedroom which I wouldn't possibly want to pay any extra since my 5month old wouldn't want to sleep in a room of her own. If you want room with a kitchenette then serenity room is not for you.

We got Room 855 - spacious and really huge bathroom. It's not a garden view - instead an abandoned or rather uncompleted building with zinc rooftop was opposite us. My daughter loves the huge sink and the mirror in front that we didn't use her foldable tub we brought along. She enjoyed looking at her reflection while in the 'tub'. The sink stopper doesn't stop water from flowing out and have to be extra careful not to pop up the stopper while she's soaking in the 'tub'. I like the bath salts which was complimentary and should have ask housekeeping for more to bring home.

We requested for baby cot but my daughter hated the mattress so much - it gave a loud thud whenever she turn and startled her while sleeping. I think it's the same kind of mattress used in the spa. Spa was Great!!!!! Kookai - the spa manager is friendly and so are her staff. We went there twice in a row since the bad weather keeps us indoors most times. We wanted to go for a 3rd round but was checking out the next day. We tried the deep tissue massage and Thai massage and there was a complimentary 30min Indian head or back massage to choose from for 1st timers. We tried the former and it was good. If you have done Thai massage elsewhere, do let them know that u want the arm and head twisting towards the end - my spouse was surprise they left that out so I requested Joyly for it when it was my turn. Thanks Joyly for your advice. I'm already arranging for a biweekly massage to loosen up those knots!

Breakfast was ok - should have hash browns too!!. The staff from East 88 were wonderful. They help to take turns playing with our daughter while we had breakfast and we were more than happy to oblige. They do have a halal kitchen for the Muslim staff and in room dining wasn't an issue for us. There are also halal food along the road - the 1st stall will be at least 10-15mins walk when you turn right when you exit the resort. we had fried banana fritters and chicken rice which is so oily!! But the chilli taste nice. The local vendors don't speak English but simple hand gestures and they do speak a bit of Malay which work out well for us.

As mention by other travelers, the resort provides 1 return shuttle per day to Nai Harn beach, Central Festival, JungCeylon Mall in Patong at odd timings. They should increase the frequency. Surprisingly it was bad weather when it was suppose to be sunny. not sure if the recent 2 natural disaster in the region plays a part in it. We had power outage everyday and once it happen 5times. Rawai was very windy and we make a bad choice walking back from Nai Harn in the drizzle and ended up taking a wrong turn which leads to Rawai beach - an hour walking distance to hotel!!!! The taxis in Rawai doesn't even know where is the resort and we; the 2 nutcase (minus our innocent daughter) had to brave the strong wind and rain shower back to the resort and chasing after our brolly that got blown away across the road!!! walking from Nai Harn to Rawai and back to resort was a good 5km walk and thank god we had thai massage waiting for us on our return. Never been such a perfect timing.

We left yesterday afternoon and nearer to airport,we came across 2 areas where there's a slight flood. The news did mention of possible landslides and floods. The resort SUV breezes through the flood without any problem. The resort is 1hr away from airport so the transport is expensive - THB 1300 taxes (THB 1000 if using taxi service outside)

We truly enjoyed this resort it was unfortunate that the weather doesn't permit us to soak in the pool or use the coral island tix which comes with the room package. They could have given us an alternative like complimentary massage, transport or food and beverage voucher for the unused coral island tix.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guests, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review about our resort. We are pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay at Serenity in Phuket. Please allow us to respond to you regarding the timing and frequency of our free shuttle bus to Nai Harn beach and Patong. We have found that most guests like to go to Nai Harn after breakfast and come back late afternoon so that they can enjoy a day on the beach.
Guests interested in shopping and nightlife in Patong normally like to leave the resort late afternoon, do some shopping, have a meal in Patong and then return to the resort with our bus at 22.00h or opt to take their own transporation back to the resort if they have a late night out. Regrettably, the local politics and taxi syndicates oppose to the resort running the free buses more frequently and we have found the current situation acceptable for both sides. Unfortunately, Phuket's locally organized public transport situation is not dictated by free market demands and we had to find a compromise acceptable for both parties. Sincerely, Urs-General Manager

Reviewed March 25, 2011

I spent three nights at Serenity during a quick getaway to Phuket. Since I was traveling alone, I booked a room for one person. After seeing the room, I was a bit disappointed, as it was rather dark and didn't have a view at all. I knew that I wouldn't get an ocean view, but was hoping to have a garden view. Instead, my room was facing an abandoned building that had a basketball court inside where the school kids played during the day. I requested to change rooms, and one of the staff (I believe her name was Neng) showed me 2 other single room options and a 1 bedroom suite. The one bedroom suite was HUGE and much nicer, so I inquired about moving into that one. Neng informed me that there would be an upgrade charge of 200USD to stay in that room. I was disappointed that the hotel didn't extend the upgrade to me free of charge, especially b/c the resort was nowhere near booked to capacity & had few guests at the time.

Pros about Serenity:
-it is serene and quiet...perfect place for R&R
-Fantastic views of the ocean from the pool & restaurants
-the rooms are modern and comfortable
-there's a shuttle that takes guests to Patong in the evenings. Sadly, I wasn't informed of this until the last full day that I was there.

Cons about Serenity:
-the staff seem to be very "selective" about who they give 5-star service to. I noticed that the female staff in the restaurant basically ignored me, and I had to approach them to order food or drinks.
-the restaurant and room service prices are far too expensive for the quality! 3 USD for a soda, and 20 USD for a pizza is outrageous, especially in Thailand.
-the resort is located over an hour away from the airport, and in a location where there aren't many restaurants. If you want to go out to dinner, you'll pay a minimum of 200 Baht each way. Also, be prepared to pay higher prices for transfers if you book tours through tour operators.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Serenity. I loved being away from the madness of Patong. If I find myself back in Phuket, I would certainly consider staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank ki82
UrsPhuket, General Manager at Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2011

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review about our resort, which we appreciate immensely. Room upgrades are subject to availability and complimentary upgrades are done on the discretion of the hotel. We do not actually have such a large room inventory and you may not have realized how many suites of that specific type were actually occupied during your stay. Hence, our front office manager was unable to offer you a complimentary upgrade.
Our East 88 Beach Lounge restaurant is relatively inexpensive compared to similar venues in Phuket and we have actually just lowered the prices on the menu by another 10% a couple of weeks ago. Of course, food and drinks and simple local restaurant remain cheaper than at our luxury resort. Sincerely, Urs - General Manager

Reviewed March 17, 2011

We have stayed 9 days in this Resort, 9 days of pleasure. This hotel is really marvellous, all the staff was very nice, always trying to make our stay better. Even if the hotel seems to be a little outside the "big places", it is easy to go everywhere and the view on the Chalong Bay is incredible. The restaurant is very good with each day different music animations, but I must recognize that sometimes it was too noisy for us. As it is in front of the sea, taking the breakfast each morning was a great pleasure with such of a kind of view.Definitively we will come back

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AupaBO_34
UrsPhuket, General Manager at Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

Dear Guests,
Thank you very muchf for taking the time to write such a nice review of our resort. We are escpecially glad to hear that you enjoyed our East88 Beach Lounge and that you found our team to be friendly and efficient. We look forward to welcoming you again an remain, Sincerely Urs-General Manager

Reviewed March 15, 2011

As long as you know what you are getting, you will love this hotel. The biggest deficiency is the beach. The hotel is right on the bay, but the water is very shallow and and at low tide the mud flats extend out from the hotel for a good kilometer to the deeper water. This is definitely not a swimming or even a wading beach.

That said, the setting is beautiful, especially when the tide is in.

Service is fantastic. We cooked at traditional American Christmas dinner in our suite, and afterward went out to the pool. Upon our return, the staff was just finishing doing the dishes! The staff was invariably helpful, anc quite concerned about our comfort.

The food was the best we had anywhere in Thailand, although the oddly-named open air restaurant across the street, OK Yum Yum, is also not to be missed and is nearly as good. I took the cooking class, which would have been better if I had also gone on the market tour to purchase the ingredients. After the class my family enjoyed the 4 dishes I made for dinner, and I was given all the recipes as part of the class. Yum!

The rooms were comfortable and the pool was beautiful. There were a couple of minor malfunctions with the hot-water handle on a tub and the air conditioning not working right, both quickly fixed once the staff was notified.

When we first got there, we were put in a room different from the one we had booked, but this was recitfied shortly after we insisted upon the contracted room.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Hugh_Maris

Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our resort! We are pleased to hear that you found our resort and its team friendly, efficient and enjoyable. We do realize that the beach in front of our resort is not ideal for swimming and are compensating for this by offering a free shuttle service exclusively for our guests to go to Nai Harn Beach in Phuket. Nai Harn is only 10 minutes away from the resort. We are also offering a free shuttle service late afternoon to go to Patong beach daily. Sincerely, Urs-General Manager

Reviewed March 10, 2011

We have been staying in the Serinity for 4 nights in February 2011. Our suite was extremely large with a large terrace facing the beach. This is a very good hotel but the only two weak points are the beach, you cannot swim in the sea when low tide, and the location. You absolutely need a car to have a look around and have dinner in other restaurants. Otherwise you have no other choice but the hotel restaurant which not bad but too expensive for what it is. We found far better restaurants outside. I would recommend the French restaurant La Cabane, a few kilometres north from the hotel on the road to Chalong.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, thank you very much for your review. Serenity Resort & Residences is located on the East coast of Phuket island where swimming in the sea is restricted to high tide times only. As an alternative, we offer a free daily shuttle bus to Nai Harn beach, only 10 minutes away, which is one of the best swimming beaches in Phuket.
We have had a number of comments about the pricing at our East 88 Beach Lounge and have lowered the prices for all dishes by at least 10% around 2 weeks ago. This now makes us by far the cheapest dining venue in any luxury resort in Phuket. Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again. With best regards, Urs - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rawai
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
#2 of 9 in Karon Beach

Been to Serenity Resort & Residences Phuket? Share your experiences!