“Filthy place”

Ranked #53 of 280 Restaurants in Rawai
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I would love to know where these people got these pictures from or at least there photographer name because he/she is an artist,,, this place is a dump the toilets use salt water from the ocean and pump all the used goods into the see,, you can see the toilet paper floating after someone takes a dump.
The food is trust me if I say 7th rate then I would be down grading the 7th food places,, the beach is not there, sorry but I was there the French women that owns the place is rude and the staff don't give you any service,,,trust me if your not on a Korean tour group the skip this place.

Dawn_in_Phuket, Owner at Bon Island Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thank you for your review.
I don't usually respond to reviews whether good or bad as I believe people have the right to like a place or hate a place, but as some of your information is incorrect I would like to clarify.

My name id Dawn, I am English not French and I am the owner of Bon Island Restaurant. Firstly I apologise if you found me rude, I don't remember who you were or the situation but I am sorry.

I took most of the photos myself with my Nokia N82 mobile phone, they are not photoshopped they are the way the phone took them and I am not a professional photographer. If you want to see more photos then take a look at my flickr account: where you will also see photos of Bon Island at low tide which is presumably the time you came. Low tide leaves little swimming area, low tide varies from day to day by about 45 minutes so if you came one week later you would have found things more like the publicity photos. You will also see photos of how our beach changes from season to season and also what it looks like when the rubbish washes in with monsoon waves.

We do not pump any wastes into the sea.

All our food wastes and general rubbish are returned with our boat to the mainland daily and we pay the local council 250Baht per month for the disposal of that. I have a receipt to prove it. I personally take the rubbish to the tip.

Our toilet wastes go into a tank- NOT into the sea.
The blue pipe you saw running from the sea to the back of restaurant is used to pump sea water in to large water storage tanks and if you followed the pipes you would have reached the hillside tank. So you are correct in saying that we use salt water for the toilets. Being a small and rocky island we do not have any fresh water and have to bring small amounts of fresh water from the mainland daily for washing dishes. For cooking we use drinking water.
As for floating tissue this is possibly rubbish floating in with the sea or rubbish blown / washed into the sea from the beach. Tourists do, I am sad to say, also leave sanitary towels / nappies in the sea maybe be accident and we have to collect them and dispose of them ourselves.

Lastly. We are a simple beach side restaurant and do not boast 5 star silver service, we are not a 5 star resort and just to avoid confusion, we are not part of the (ex) Evason Resort.

The tour groups were Chinese not Korean by the way.

Hope this makes things clearer.
Best regards

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Am reluctant to write a review because I don't want more people knowing about this place. We hired a long tail boat from patong beach and told the captain we wanted to go somewhere where we can swim, eat and get a beer but we don't want to see 20 speed boats and a 100 people. He took us to Bon Island. We where met by the owner as she was cleaning up the beach and she was lovely. She organized the kitchen staff and we had cold beers and a lovely meal. The swimming is good but it was just so relaxing. Don't go there if your into white table clothes and silver service. It was exactly what we wanted and more. We will be back

1  Thank Gillian44
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Bon island is lovely and quiet with stunning views. The restaurant here offers a good selection of Thai and European food and the owner will happily accommodate any preferences.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Just a few minutes from Phuket's east coast brings you to another world with a great beach, swimming and snorkeling. And great food too. A day to forget about everything and load your batteries. Perfect family day-out.

1  Thank Imo N
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Did not eat there in the end. The smells were horrendous and it was not very clean. The toilets were dirty so not recommended. Coral island was amazing.