“Decent way of spending an hour”

Tham Khao Luang Cave
and up
Hua Hin Swiss Sheep Farm and Khao Luang Cave Tour Including Lunch
Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Phetchaburi
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This cave is only about 10 minutes drive from the train station.
I was lucky in that I was literally the only person in the cave (a busload of 7yr olds had just left which would have been an echoing nightmare)
Not the most amazing stalactited (?!?!) cave I've ever seen but the addition of dozens of buddha statues as well as a couple of large ones gave it quite a mystical feel. The caves are probably some 30 metres tall at their highest and go into the mountain for around 100 metres. There are a couple of large holes in the 'roof' and I'm sure if you went at the right time of day, you could get some amazing photos with the shards of sunlight coming through.
I had no problem with the monkeys as I had no food with me. They seemed completely disinterested in my water and camera and they aren't pickpockets either.
Unless you want to loiter for a quick pray, you'd need 45mins tops (from climbing the steps, looking around, and getting down again)

3  Thank TheProdigitalSon

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Visiting temples is a big part of a trip to Thailand and these caves made for a very interesting new experience. They are visually impressive with the various buddhas worked into the spaces in a quite 'organic' way and provided a great spiritual treat. We were lucky - got there at the end of the day and so peaceful atmosphere and had the place to ourselves.
Watch out for the monkeys - a lot of them and you need to be careful. They can be quite agressive

Reviewed August 25, 2013

cycled the 3ish km here, only the last little bit is up hill. Monkeys can be a bit scary, but not too bad. Very interesting caves and Buddhas, we were lucky though, when we arrived there was a car and a minivan in the carpark, when we left 9 big coaches had just arrived!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

It is easy to access Tham Khao Luang as the indications are clear and bi-lingual.
Once there beware of the monkeys, unless you adore them (and I do not), do not feed them, they will be all over you.
Once you descend to the cave I would advise to take your time and to search for the hidden spots and Buddha statues. There are status everywhere, some have the lighting others do not.
Do not forget to access also the smaller caves trough the door behind the reclining Buddha.
I was there in the afternoon and the light was nice but not great. I was told that the best time to visit is between 9 and 11 am.

1  Thank vaccarile
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went to this place few years back with a friend when staying in Hua Hin (found the place on a map and wanted to explore it). Did not regret the effort to drive up all the way from Hua Hin to the 'Cave', which in my opinion is more a real spiritual place than anything else - and I liked it a lot !
We arrived in the late afternoon (almost at closing time), however, the daughter of the banana and drink seller near the entrance was nice enough to bring us down and around the huge caves.
On the way there we fed the waiting monkeys with the bananas, we bought from her father at the entrance and that way we could enter without being followed al the time by monkey hordes.
Arriving down there in the first cave (and it was empty, except us, due to the late arrival) it became a extreme calming and spiritual place, you were surrounded by plenty of Buddha statues in different shapes and sizes - and with different meanings - one of the biggest one is the reclining Buddha. As you stroll around in the different caves, seeing once in awhile daylight from above through some holes in the ceiling of the caves, you can feel the cool air as well as the quietness which automatically lets you forget, at least for the moment, the hustle and bustle of the outside world. The statues and the entire place are all well maintained.
Would always make a trip to this place again if in the Phetchaburi area. We tipped he daughter and we paid for the bananas but it was not expensive at all !

1  Thank PetalingJayaHans47