“Not a pretty site!”

Seaview Elephant Camp
Ranked #78 of 87 things to do in Kathu
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We had the elephant trek/monkey show as a free package from our hotel. We wish we hadn't bothered!
The elephants are chained up until they are required for there trek, they have sores and cuts from the chains. The baby elephant is chained up on a foot, if that of chain and already looks stir crazy. The trek takes you round there village which is 1 house and the rest of the area is like a refuse dump!
The guide on the elephants are very nice and friendly.
The monkey show is just despicable, 3 monkeys, all with chains around there next on a very tight leash doing mundane tricks in a petrified state, hated every minute of it.
I would advise to research your elephant trek when coming to phuket, avoid seaview!!

Apparently Siam elephant trek is very good, conservation area.

5  Thank mlover

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

The staff treat you like rubbish, don't listen to your requests and are generally unhelpful - there are far better places to go trekking on the island - sea view maybe the cheapest but it's not worth your while.

Avoid.

5  Thank hol_and_b
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We had booked a driver/guide for our cruise port stopover in Feb 2014. Our driver failed to show up so we hired a driver and guide for the day from the multitudes that waiting in the port area. We told the driver we wanted to go to Kok Chang Safari. When our driver stopped at Sea View he said I am a local and I know the best place to ride an elephant. I'm sure he must have gotten a kickback. We should have insisted on not staying. We opted for the 45 minutes. I think it is exactly the same path that you take for 30 minutes only the elephant gets to stop and eat more to make up another 15 minutes. There was a nice view but it did go through a very poor Thai village that seemed part of the Sea View property. Our elephants seemed healthy and I didn't see them mistreated. There was a baby in front that was on a very short chain. We fed him bananas. My husband and I both wished we had insisted on going to Kok Chang Safari and not giving in to our guide.

1  Thank bodiski
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We went to Sea View Elephant trekking/Monkey show/Cobra Show and left thoroughly disgusted that we even went.As an animal lover I strongly suggest no-one goes to this particular place if visiting Phuket. It's disgustingly filthy, they chain up the monkeys and they tease the snakes, I found the monkey handler particularly disturbing and if I didn't take photos he made the monkey perform over and over till I did, we left very disturbed and this Tour was free with our room package. I agree with all the other bad reports on here and just wanted to let all the animals go free. Disgusting place.

7  Thank Janine B
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I have never experienced anything like this before! We did the 1/2hr elephant trek. The trek is through a shanty town to a ledge. You then stop for 15mins, to take in the view and also to be trapped on the elephant while the guide berates you to buy souvenirs. I had to basically be firm and say NO and to be returned to the main part of the tour. The trek is disgusting and dirty, and I felt incredibly sorry for the elephants - the operators also run a monkey show and ATV ride, which we had to firmly decline. They claim all proceeds go to the maintenance of the animals, but I highly doubt it.

10  Thank NBTraveller870