“Good views but bad staff”

Seaview Elephant Camp
Ranked #88 of 94 things to do in Kathu
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The views on the top of the elephant were magnificent where you see the sea through the trees. The staff though was very nonhelpful. We paid for a 30 minute ride and we stayed for 20 minutes!!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was really keen to ride an elephant while in Thailand, however now i am disappointed that I probably inadvertently contributed to animal cruelty by paying money to this place. The animals had sunken in heads, huge abnormal looking growths on their back legs, didn't walk easily, but worst of all some were brutally beaten with sticks with metal spikes when they didn't obey. One elephant I saw had a big infected sore on his head from where the metal spike had constantly hit him. These animals aren't being looked after here - if you want an elephant ride go somewhere else. Go to FantaSea where the elephants look so much healthier, walk faster/easier and are very well trained without the abuse.

3  Thank Fiona197
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We've done a few elephant treks before but Seaview was a bit different. It's past the Karon viewpoint and if you do a 1 hour ride you get a view, while sitting on your elephant, of the Andaman sea - it's beautiful. Our elephant was "Bella" and she was a little slow (I think she was also enjoying the views lol) so we really had time to enjoy the ride and the views. Our mahut jumped off at one stage and asked if we wanted photos with our camera - so we have a lot of photos on our elephant. They also take a professional photo of you at the start of your ride so you can purchase that too. I also was able to enjoy sitting on the back of Bella's head (like the mahut's do) for part of our ride. This is the best elephant ride we've had in Thailand. There's also a souvenir shop where you can buy drinks too. I liked the souvenirs at the shop because they were a bit different from the souvenirs you see at the markets. Will come back to Seaview when we come to Thailand again with our daughter and her partner.

2  Thank chook2564
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We love elephants and were looking forward to our Trip. We arrived to find thin, unhappy looking elephants, intimidating Mahouts and a scruffy site! Unfortunately my daughter and I went on the thinnest, oldest elephant who struggled to get up the hill. When we stopped in the shade the elephant next to us which had my husband and daughter on was hit loudly on the head with the hook that they carry!! it made a really loud sound and my daughter started crying, this seemed to amuse the Mahouts and so I asked to be taken back. We had only been on the ride for about 10mins! He proceeded to sit on the elephants head not around its neck and tug on its ear all the time and poke it with the hook. When we got back the owner came to ask what was wrong and he said they have to do it to guide them!. What when they are standing still to rest!! disgusting it should be closed down. Do not support this Elephant Trekking. I am sure there are other places were the elephants are well fed and cared for, but not here!

4  Thank Nikki B
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

My family booked on the Elephant ride and ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) trip as a joint tour.
We have 3 children, 15,16, and 17
We were put in pairs and sat on fairly basic seats and then elephants walked through a defined pathway through the local jungle passing the homes of the elephant keepers.
The elephants are all female apart from 'KingKong' who was massive. The elephants looked well fed and whilst its not nice seeing them chained up, the trek allows the some excercise
Elephants are not going to be here forever so we wanted to have the experience. And get up close and personal with them which is what we did.
The baby elephant was so well fed when we bought some food for her she wasn't interested.
So the elephant experience was good but they are wild animals who are chained up for tourists - visitors need to remember that and manage their expectations.

1  Thank Laura G