“Animal Cruelty”

Seaview Elephant Camp
Ranked #77 of 90 things to do in Kathu
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I spent a few days in Phuket in my itinerary I wanted to ride an elephant. I'm not even an animal advocate or a p.e.t.a. member. However, I was very disappointed when I arrived to this elephant camp. My elephant was the oldest elephant I have ever seen in my life. I was supposed to ride the elephant through the jungle for an hour instead I only rode the animal for 45 minutes in a trail that wasn't even that exotic. On two occasions the elephant trainer hit the poor animal in the forehead with a stick that looks like a large hammer. At some point the trainer stopped the elephant and waited for other two elephants who were carrying tourist as well. They took pictures of us and offered souvenirs for "good luck" they said. Seaview Elephant camp not only abuse elephants but also try to sell you their cheap stuff at a high price.

5  Thank Robert A

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We didn't go to this exact place but its the only review for elephant trekking I could find, planing my trip to Thailand all I wanted I do was ride an elephant some bits I enjoyed some I didn't as soon as I sat on the elephant I felt guilty the men sit on their necks kick them behing the ears hit them with hooks it was even more sad the fact knowing we were on a baby elephant I realized our elephant wasn't as big as the others I had a tight grip the whole ride, It was something I had to experience but never again will I do it and I probably wouldn't recommend it but its something I had to do being in Thailand, all the elephants just looked sad some of the older ones had really horrible long scars from being hit with the hooks it's a really bad example of animal cruelty over there the only elephant I found to he happy was the real little baby I fed her bananas and she didn't have sad eyes like the rest she was playfull and danced very cute.
its sad knowing that these elephants are being treated the way they are because of us tourists to get our attention and to make money off us being popular attractions!

3  Thank TWhite2393
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Elephant riding is a unique experience, though it was quite difficult to keep the ups and downs. Felt sorry for the animals that are loaded with more than two people and banged them to walk. There was also a baby elephant dancing to the beat of the music that sounds. So cute.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Ever since we were planning to go to Thailand, I wanted definately to see also the elephants. Then one day we made a stop at the Seaview Elephant camp hoping to get some nice trekking trip. But by the second minute I sat on the elephant I totally regreted the act.

The elephant man was kicking the elephant with a hook and his feet - all the elephants looked unhappy. The trip that was supposed to include trip through jungle and have a spectacular seaview was actually a nice scam. I think half of the time we were standing, to wait our friends with the other elephant, the elephnt didn´t listen to the guide at all. The jungle was actually the triners village with crap and dirt everywhere and the seaview was quite nothing - way much better even from our hotel window.

When we reached the farest point of our "trip" the elephant man took out a well hidden box with all kind of souveniers he was offering us to buy. Notice that the sign when going to the elephants said to kindly refuse all their offers, so it was not definately something they were allowed to do.

The best part of the visit was feeding the baby elephant, she was really cute and loved the bananas :)

7  Thank Liisukaz
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Like the feeling of the riding, very exciting. However, a little too expensive. Per person about 900 baht. In the end we manage to bargain to get the price for 700 per person.

And they will take out some souvenir to sell to you at a high price, saying it is to buy food for elephant. BTW, there are a lot insect flying around the elephant, bear with it.

1  Thank STELLA_TSO