“Exciting but not so worth it.”

Seaview Elephant Camp
Ranked #81 of 91 things to do in Kathu
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Like the feeling of the riding, very exciting. However, a little too expensive. Per person about 900 baht. In the end we manage to bargain to get the price for 700 per person.

And they will take out some souvenir to sell to you at a high price, saying it is to buy food for elephant. BTW, there are a lot insect flying around the elephant, bear with it.

1  Thank STELLA_TSO

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Elephants are trained using the phajan method of beating the babies, and then adults kept in line using an ankus (bullhook) to remind them of their torture. I am an keeper at a reputable zoo, and I could see that these elephants were malnourished. Finally, elephants should not carry weights on their backs.

7  Thank NoSireeBob
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I had heard many horror stories about how all these elephant camps mistreat their animals and rip you off before we came to Phuket but i said to my girlfriend we would see for ourselves. We rented a motor bike and drove out their ourselves. It's about an hour drive from the town but it's only on these drives you get to see the real Phuket. The fantastic scenery on those coastal roads is some of the most stunning I've seen in all of South East Asia. Do not book with your hotel or hostel because of course they will lie about it to get you to book through them.

Upon arrival you're greeted by a baby elephant and some very friendly staff. Although the elephant was chained (not idea) he was healthy, alert and playing with some branches. For a small price you could feed him and get a photo with him. The staff i must say are very straight to the point. He asked what we wanted to see, we told him, he showed us prices and we set off to do it all in the space of ten seconds. There was no pressure to take a longer more expensive route. We took the 45 minute trek which cost us 1000 baht each. You can hagle them down much lower than this but we got there quite late so didn't want to waste any time.

The trek itself was a great experience, you don't get jaw dropping views of the ocean although you do get one nice one in the distance. Instead you get brought through the forest, the elephants follow the handlers most of the time and the odd time just wait around till they're done playing with the trees. Our one in particular kept breaking branches full of leaves and swinging them around in circles which everyone thought was hilarious. The handlers will also take your camera and take many photo's of both you sitting in the chair on the elephants back or sitting on the back of his neck where the handler usually would. When you finish your (let's call it a hilarious 45 minute walk rather than a trek of stunning views) you can pay 100 Baht for a basket of fruit for your big grey friend. Ours was called Broona :)There was quad biking and other animals there also but we never got a chance to check them out.

Lastly i would like to point out that all of the Elephants we saw (4 i think in total) were in good health, alert, playful, and ears flapping (the way they should be) and we did not notice any scars. Yes our one had a small wound on its head (not surprised the way she would crash through those branches) but that purple stuff you see dripping down her head is not blood! It's actually a commonly used antiseptic. Everyone seems to assume these marks automatically indicate abuse but at the end of the day we don't know how they got them. The fact they were being treated was enough to please me. A thoroughly enjoyable experience. A lot of people speak ill of it having never even went, honestly I say don't knock it till you've tried it!

2  Thank Shaney-Mc
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Please don't go on any elephant treks! The way they train these elephants is absolutely horrible. Many of them have scars on their feet, ears, and head from getting beat with hooks because those spots are sensitive.

4  Thank Tiff_888
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Hi I visited the sea view elephant camp in kata. I love elephants and had been going on about doing elephant trekking when my husband booked a trip to Thailand. I asked the hotel and they gave me a leaflet for sea view camp. Me and my husband had already researched on tripadvisor and told the hotel receptionist that we wanted to go to this one recommended on tripadvisor- she made out that she knew which one it was. She arranged a taxi for us and surprise surprise we ended up at sea view camp which is the one we said we didn't want to go to. When we arrived we felt we had no choice but to do it. We booked a 45 minute trek where we were promised spectacular sea views and some jungle-clearly we didn't get what was promised! It cost 1800 baht for two of us- make sure you haggle whereever you go! The elephant ride itself was awful! We went thought a jungle track where the guide lived - first the rider stopped off at his house to pick up water then he waited for ages for other guests to get on to their elephants - oh and just to warn you this happens all in the time you have paid for!!!!! He then went through a track which was where there were Overgrown trees and branches. He then thought it would be funny to tell me that there were snakes around the trees- at one point a massive branch went straight for me, I thought nothing of it until the guide started shouting snake snake snake!!! I panicked and screamed!!! All the riders were laughing- my guide thought it was very funny! NOT!
My husband then noticed that section of branch had a nest of ants which then fell into me! It was awful! The guide then told me no problem he gets bitten all the time! We went further on- he asked me if he wanted me to take a photo of us- he took a picture of me and my husband but it didn't even look as though we were on an elephant- just a chair!
This tour has to be the worst I have ever had- please go elsewhere! The ironic thing is its called sea view and we saw the view for 10 seconds and to be honest I saw more of the sea from my villa balcony! It should be called a jungle tour with the guide taking the Mickey!
Apart from that the elephant was very cute but I love elephants! I did not get the feel that the elephants are treated very well in this camp- just a form of making money!

3  Thank mcm80