“Great stay but poor service”

Alfresco Phuket Hotel
Ranked #290 of 378 Hotels in Kathu
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great stay but poor service”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

i stayed for 4nights. Overall the hotel was good but front line service is very poor and rude especially name Tiwa. I reliase they only good service to english people and bad service to asian people. There was even a point late at night I was having a communication problem with directions to Alfresco, they gladly took the phone and guided them to the hotel.But we had problems with the 1 of the toilet. It was overflowing and smiling. Luckly we stay at apartment type with 3 toilet attach. Taxi around Patong is pricey. Starts from 300 baht for a 1 minute ride, although it’s a little far

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Hi..i stayed at your hotel for 5 days 4 nights..Overall was ok and great!..but if possible can your management from F&B department labelling all food while buffet being serve..it's will be easier for muslim guests..thanks!!! =)

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank liyanamir
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed at Alfresco Hotel Phuket from the 17-19th of January 2013. For a budget hotel, the interior exceeds my expectations; it looks the same as the pictures that you will find online.
The staffs in the hotel are very friendly, sweet and nice. (Especially a lady at the front desk, Ammy- we wanted to take a picture with her but we were rushing when we were checking out. She’s very helpful and nice. On our second day, our pick up for island hopping was late for more than 30 minutes, she came up to us and asked us if we needed any help to call the agent. Very thoughtful of her.)

Wifi connection: Good and fast. Life saver!

Bathroom: very big and spacious. But we had problems with the toilet. It was overflowing and they were fully booked and we had to use a toilet on the lobby on the 2nd morning. That was the most annoying part of our trip. We requested for another room on the 18th morning but nothing was done even when we got home on the 18th evening. Imagine coming home to an overflowed toilet. It was disgusting. Finally on that night, someone fixed it and it was ok and thank god we were out the next morning-transfer to Krabi.

Bed room and sheets: Clean. No stains.

TV: Great, they’ve got good channels. My bf was especially ecstatic because they has a 24 hours MUTV dedicated to Manchester United Football Club that screened everything MU.

Breakfast: Did not try, we prefer eating the local food.

Swimming Pool: Did not use it as we were quite busy with other activities, did have a look at it, looked nice.

View from the room: We were facing the road with a building under construction on the opposite. We weren’t in the room much, so, i guess it’s ok not to have a good view. It wasn’t too noisy during the day or at night. I did realise that there was partying till the wee hours of the morning, but it wasn’t that bad or very noisy and I did get a good night’s sleep.

Quality of the bed and pillow. Mattress was a bit hard but good. Like i said, had a good night’s sleep.  or I must have been really tired.

Distance from city centre: When we booked, it seemed like all the “happy” places were nearby, Agoda says less than 1 km from Bangla Street. However, it’s quite a distance. Good thing is, the hotel provides a free tuk tuk around Patong area but the driver will never ever wait for you even if it’s for 1 minute. The driver will only drop you off but no free pick-up. Taxi around Patong is pricey. Starts from 200 baht for a 1 minute ride. Although, it’s a little far, but I’m glad it’s not too near the sea as the place is too crowded. Wouldn’t want to risk being anywhere near there if there’s another tsunami. You never know?!

Shopping: Shopping around Patong is nice. The people are nice and you can bargain and get a good deal for many things from bikini’s to island hopping packages. There are many massage parlours, bars, tailors etc nearby. Compared to Krabi, the people in Patong are much friendlier and polite. It is possible to get the price you want if you ask them nicely.

Other stuff/activities:
Island Hopping: Paid 900 baht per person
Fantasea Show: Paid 1900 baht per person for gold seats + buffet dinner+ pick up and drop off.
Transfer from Phuket- Ao Nang, Krabi by Ferry: 600 baht. 7 am pick up, 2 hours plus journey.
Punctuality: Horrible. The agents/mini van drivers are not very punctual. They will be late. Around 15-45 minutes. But it’s good for you to be on time because they usually pick up tourist on mini vans where there will be many other pickups at other hotels.

Note: It is possible for Asians to get a slightly lesser price for various packages compared to Europeans or Americans. I suspect that this may be because of the exchange rate and the buying power of the tourist from EU/US.

Overall, would I go back again? YES. Would i stay in this hotel again? YES. Any complaints? Besides the toilet issue, NO.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank drseethaking
Albufeira, Portugal
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I arrived late on the 27th of December. They promptly check me in and get me to my room. I arrive in the room and it was as pictured on Agoda and their website. The room was new but of medium construction quality in my opinion. The bathrrom was the first thing I noticed that was arranged in such a way that the door was consistently getting soaked and the door was already showing signs of decay. Other than that, I cannot complain. The bed was the same as all other beds in SE Asia. I found the hotel unremarkable except for the staff. They were always around for assistance and were ALWAYS pleasant. There was even a point late at night I was having a communication problem with directions to Alfresco, they gladly took the phone and guided them to the hotel. Truly a fantastic staff.

The location was not bad as there were plenty of food choices close by. Food carts and also restaraunts. The breakfast was not fantastic but manageable. I rarely ate because I was always arriving back to the hotel at 4-6am and not rising in time for the most part. It was a 60baht motorbike taxi to Bangla and had parking for your rented motorbikes.

The place is guest friendly but was mostly family oriented.

The roof top pool was fantastic with chairs that were really comfortable and easy to take a nap after a fun night out in Thailand.

Not sure I would stay here again, but not because of particular displeasure with anything. Just I prefer to be within walking distance of Bangla and the beach.

Room Tip: I satyed in the premier room and had plenty of space and it did not back up to the noisy main road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jay R
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Great front desk staff especially Ammy . We are well received upon checking in. We got upgraded and there is honeymoon decorated room for us. There is cold drinking water in the lobby and free tuk tuk service to get to jungceylon . Abit noisy during nightime .

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank guysway
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very nice counter staff...got a free upgrade but realised the room was on the 1st floor, can get quite noisy at times...room was VERY big! But it's a pity that the huge bathroom was not very clean...overall the room was quite comfortable...free WiFi & breakfast, spread was simple but sufficient to start the day with...free one way tuk tuk service to nearby patong beach or junceylon, otherwise it's at 15 mins walk there...does not serve lunch or dinner :( but there's a seafood restaurant just 2 doors way that serves very authentic Thai food, nice!also notice that they can only keep ur luggages by the side if u check out early, which I thought wasn't very safe...

Room Tip: Avoid first floor if u r a light sleeper...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cannie G
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 12, 2013

What:
I really enjoyed my stay at Al.fres.co Phuket Hotel. I chose the grand deluxe room due to the 50% discount flash deal. I think that it's really worth it! The size of the toilet is huge, with a bathtub included. Decorations of the room is simple yet elegant. There's also an infinity pool on the rooftop for a short swim. The bed and pillows were fine accompanied with simple furniture.
Not to mention, breakfast is included in the flash deal bought! Despite that being convenient, breakfast served for all the four days was the same with only slight variations. However, you get to choose the way you want your eggs to be done! (Boiled, poached, fried, omelette and scrambled)

When:
I traveled in the period of January 2013. During this period, weather is pretty hot and suitable for water sports. I engaged the service of an reliable taxi driver for a city tour too. There are land activities such as go-kart, horse riding, visting cashew nut factory and more. I went for massages and spa and also go-kart. The oil massage was really awesome! I felt so relaxed after the whole body massage. The go-kart was a great experience for me. It was very very exciting and I could feel the adrenaline rush. I have never tried travelling at the speed before with a go kart. Even though it's a little expensive and the timing is really short, it's still worth the try if you enjoy such activities.
Point to note, do dress light and comfortably!

Where:
Al.fres.co Phuket Hotel is located in Patong. They provide free one way tuk tuk services from the hotel to Patong beach and Junceylon Shopping Mall. It is approximately 15 minutes walk back from Junceylon Shopping Mall. You can also walk to Banzaan Market, a night market selling night market food, from Junceylon Shopping Mall.

How:
The hotel staff was really helpful. When there were issues with the water heater, they rectify the problem quickly. Moreover, room service was also quick and well done.

Overall:
I really enjoyed the stay at Al.fres.co Phuket hotel. I didn't have much issues regarding the stay and staff was friendly and approachable. They do provide additional services such as airport transfer at a slightly higher rate. My only wish will be that they provide two way transport to and fro the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to request for rooms not facing the construction site.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank zhiwing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kathu
Luxur Boutique Hotel Patong
Lap Roi Karon Beachfront
Lap Roi Karon Beachfront
#113 of 133 in Karon
The ASHLEE Heights Patong Hotel & Suites

Been to Alfresco Phuket Hotel? Share your experiences!