“The 'Must Play' Golf Course In Phuket!”

Red Mountain Golf Club
Ranked #20 of 72 Outdoor Activities in Kathu
More attraction details
Owner description: Winding its way through a truly dramatic 1400 rai former tin mine site in the heart of Phuket, Red Mountain is one of Asia's most exciting new courses that officially opened in 2008. The course has been cleverly routed to take advantage of a huge variety of landforms and dizzying elevation changes. Scars left from the tin mine era have been imaginatively incorporated into the overall scheme, creating a unique character at the same time as establishing an indelible link with an important era in the Island's past. Designer Jon Morrow and co-designer Al Tikkanen, have created a highly strategic and challenging 6,900 yard lay out to complement the shorter and gentler Loch Palm which is next door. While the course is undoubtedly challenging, numerous risk and reward options create a fun playing environment, an exhilarating test of golf and a breathtaking scenic tour around a course that has become a golfing landmark in the region.
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Fantastic layout and a course in magnificent condition. But best of all, a friendly welcome from well-trained staff and caddies who have been properly trained in golfing etiquette.

Forget the supposed reputation of Blue Canyon (great layout, badly maintained, unfriendly welcome) - Red Mountain is the course to play on a visit to Phuket

3  Thank FGreen1999

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Best course out of them all, this is a must play course for those golfing in Phuket. Everything was fantastic and phuketgolfcourse.com were fantastic in their organisation. Would highly recommend them also

Reviewed March 28, 2013

If you are looking for an incredible golf experience, this course ranks up there with the best of the best, and certainly seems like it couldn't be beaten by anything else in the area.

Cut out of the mountains, the fairways are stunning to look at and also a good test of shot making in many instances. Our experience with the caddies was good...they told us where to be and where the trouble was. My game didn't always stand up to their advice because it was the first time playing in five months, but they usually seemed right. Sometimes they gave me a different line on the putts from what I saw, and sometimes that worked out. My advice would be to make your own call on the putts but listen to them first.

After the golf we went in for lunch and the waiter brought the wrong food for my wife's lunch, it was too spicy to eat even after asking for it not too spicy, she took one bite and couldn't touch it again. No apology, no refund, not even an acknowledgement....service was slow and the waiter was obviously uncaring.

This didn't ruin the whole experience because the golf was great, but we paid more than $600 for the day with golf, caddies and caddy tips, carts, club rentals, driver tip, and lunch for two people, and for that kind of money I expected a premium service from beginning to end. Even a 1 inch coffee was nearly $7.00 and worth about $2.00.

It very much seemed like once we got back to the clubhouse and they had our money there was no further need to treat us well, thats a poor business approach. Their restaurant staff could benefit from customer service training, or put them to work elsewhere where they don't need to deal with customers. They should hire people who understand that the experience must be great right up to the end of the day, or eventually customers will take their business elsewhere where they feel there is better value for the premium price. It seems such a shame that one person has the power to take the shine off the day and they purposefully choose to use that power for evil instead of good.

We used an online booking company - Phuketgolf.net - and they were great to deal with...the price was discounted enough to cover the transfer back and forth to our hotel and the driver was awesome. We started early and finished our round in only 3 hours without rushing, and she came to pick us up early after calling her. She was pleasant and friendly and I'd recommend that service rather than booking directly with the course.

One final bit of advice....they have showers available so bring a change of clothes. They'll give you a towel but more tips will be necessary. My overall rating reflects the premium golf course balanced against the terrible service in the restaurant and the way-overvalued price. If you've got money to burn and care only about the course, play here because the golf is amazing.

5  Thank JimLMarkham_On
MichaelBrasier, Manager at Red Mountain Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Dear JimLMarkham_On,

Thank you for taking the time to review Red Mountain Golf Club on Trip Advisor along with your praise for the course. Before I highlight, clarify & respond to a few points that you mentioned in your review that are not entirely accurate, I would like to invite both you and your wife back to our clubhouse restaurant during your next trip to Phuket for a complementary meal with me personally. Leaving valued guests with bad feelings towards our service is not what we strive to achieve and I feel that your experience has been a 'one off' & I sincerely hope that you take up my offer.

Thank you for your kind words for our caddies, they are all thoroughly trained before being brought on board. We also promote our caddies to play golf in their spare time as we feel that will help them understand the game better and be better caddies. However, Red Mountain Golf Club's greens are very undulating and are difficult for even top touring pros to read. I would have to agree with you and recommend that golfers listen to their caddie's advice but make their own final decisions.

It's indeed a shame that your experience in our clubhouse restaurant was 'below-par' and that it dampened your day as you have outlined in your review. We pride ourselves in providing a selection of delicious & affordable Thai along with western dishes on our menu. I must apologise for the service you received by our restaurant staff, I will personally look into what happened and make sure this doesn't happen again. It is normal procedure at Red Mountain Golf Club that we immediately change any wrong orders if they occur free of charge. However, some Thai dishes are spicy & just how spicy 'not too spicy' is, can come down to personal preference. In any case, this dish should have been promptly replaced for you as requested with the correct order.

Please allow me to correct our coffee prices which you stated at nearly $7 for a 1 inch cup. We use Boncafe and the price for a normal cup of coffee is 90 Thai Baht (approx $3) or 110 Thai Baht for a latte or cappuccino.

Concerning our locker room facilities, please note that tips are not necessary to be able to use them. This service which includes fresh towels, personal lockers, toilets, showers, hair dryers & further amenities to freshen up is free. Tips may be provided to our locker room staff if one wishes to do so. However, please let me reiterate that tips are not required for this service.

I hope to see you at Red Mountain Golf Club during your next visit to Phuket, please contact me directly at michaelbrasier@lochpalm.com

Best Regards, -Michael

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Played Red Mountain in early March 20103 with a social golf group on a 5 course tour of Phuket.
Red Mountain was by far the outstanding course of the tour. Every player from low handicap to high (myself) loved the course and rave about it. The holes were tricky but achievable for any handicap with drives off the tee requiring accuracy or you pay the penalty.
The course was in superb condition, bunkers had reasonable easy playable sand, with the greens true and fast. The caddies were spot on with directions both on and off the greens and their English was more than acceptable (I find it arrogant when people say their English is bad - how good is the complainers Thai?).
As one member of our group commented "Today I died and went to heaven" in reference to playing Red Mountain

3  Thank David W
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I played Red Mountain three times on my last trip to Phuket, found the course a great challange but not over the top, it was in super condition and the staff and caddies were first rate. It is one of the most beautiful courses I have ever played and will be returning on my next visit to Phuket.

1  Thank gerrymyers