“Nice Beach”

Ranked #4 of 69 things to do in Patong
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Nice beach. It was a little busier that I thought it would be. It has a nice restaurant over looking the beach and ocean.

2  Thank Gerry S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,713)

Reviewed April 4, 2014

don't go in because they ask money!!like more kata noi and nai harn beaches;and the road to get there is verry dangerous with a moto bike, specialy whe the road is wet!!

4  Thank fonina
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Caught a longtail boat from Patong Beach & spent a couple of lazy hours here. Ultra clear water & bright white sand. A must see.

2  Thank IamBrooksy
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Nice clean and white sand around this beach, quaite enough for private beach trip! wanna back to this island soon

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Sick of how busy and crowded Patong Beach is, we decided to hit up Freedom beach despite the added cost of the longtail boat to get there. Turns out the boat ride was the best part! A local friend arranged the boat at a very reasonable price for us. It was a lovely ride out, and the beach and water were beautiful on approach. There was a good amount of people on the beach, but it definitely wasn't crowded. The group of 7 of us decided to walk up the beach before settling in and picking a group of chairs. It's common practice on Phuket to pay for chairs, so we were expecting it to be somewhere around 100 - 150 Baht each. Well, before we even got 5 steps down the beach and man approached us asking what chairs we wanted. He wasn't in any kind of uniform, and didn't identify who he was or who he worked for. We politely informed him that yes, we where going to take chairs and were happy to pay for them, but that we simply wanted a walk up the beach first before deciding on a location. Apparently this wasn't a good enough answer. He began following us, and hassling constantly. I'm somewhat used to the hassle, having lived in Phuket and spent a great deal of time in Patong. I simply smiled at him, and said yes, we were happy to take a chair, but we were thinking of going a bit further down the beach. There is only one restaurant on Freedom Beach and all the chairs are rented by them as well, so I couldn't see this being an issue of who got our money. Well, then he started saying that if we wanted to sit on the sand, or continue to walk down the beach, we would have to pay him 200 baht each. I asked why, he said to keep the beach clean...riiiiight. Well, I informed him, we wern't going to make a mess. We were planning on renting a chair, and buying our beers from the restaurant. He became further annoyed. I asked him if he worked for the restaurant, he said no. I asked him who he worked for, and all of the sudden his previously excellent English failed him. I asked many times and he feigned ignorance at my question. We continued to try and lose him, while he yelled at me that everyone sitting on the beach had paid, and we had to pay to. I told him we would pay for the chair when we sat down. Now this wasn't good enough. Meanwhile, my friends asked every other person we passed sitting on the beach in the sand if they had paid this sum and each and every one of them said no. Hassler guy starts yelling at me that "they are lying! stupid farang are lying to you!" UGH! Finally I started to lose my patience when he dragged a waiter from the restaurant over and had a short conversation with him in Thai. While I'm not fluent, I understood enough to know that he told the waiter to confirm what he had told us and that he would cut him in. The waiter sort of laughed and shook his head (Thanks!) and walked off. That's when Mr. Wants-my-money took me up to the bar. He had the exact convo with the woman working there, but I think this is a dance they have done many times before, so she readily agreed. I spoke/bickered with her about it for awhile, her telling me that everyone on the beach had paid and that we had to do the same. She said we would get no service if we didn't (That makes sense, you can't rip me off, so you don't want to sell me your extremely over priced beer? Great business...) In the end I was so annoyed and embarrassed that I'd brought friends here that I handed her 500 Baht. She took it with a grin and a snide remark, even though that's not the amount they were asking for.

There are NO signs on the beach anywhere telling you you have to pay a fee to sit on the beach. If you don't take a long tail and you drive yourselves there your motorbikes are likely to be vandalized or destroyed. Over all, someone is making a nice profit over this piece of public land, and it's a shame. I won't be returning, nor will I recommend this place to any other travelers. get your sh** together tourism Thailand.

22  Thank Red_Bird85