“Good Value, Unreliable Wifi”
Review of Sun Hill Hotel

Sun Hill Hotel
Ranked #108 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Miami Beach, Florida
“Good Value, Unreliable Wifi”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I moved to the Sun Hill Hotel for a couple nights from another hotel to see if I could get a better wifi internet connection to work from. Unfortunately, the wifi here wasn't any better than the other hotel I came from. The hotel overall is very basic but clean. I didn't mind the rooms and the shower actually had hot water, so that was great. However, since I'm traveling and trying to stay connected to my work back in America, I was disappointed with the wifi here. At first it seemed OK, and then it just slowed to a crawl for most a day, then it started to get a little better again after I had already booked another hotel for the week. The noise from the street was a little loud but not so bad. If a good internet connection wasn't my main priority in a hotel, I would have stayed here longer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank natekap

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
North Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We didn't have high expectation given the good price we got when booking. We relied on trip advisor feedback for our first trip to Phuket. Hotel is lovely. Just enough "Thai" ambience. Clean, spacious, friendly, good location - just far enough away from the hustle and bustle. Staff were all lovely and very helpful. Nothing too much trouble. Easy walk to the centre of Patong and easy taxi or Tuk Tuk back if you can't face the walk. Highly recommended especially if you don't want a busy "resort" style hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Fairly cheap cost about £40 a night for a double room . Away from the noise of patong (but with that you sacrifice convenience and have a 15 mins walk to the beach)

The staff are really friendly. Breakfast is ok get a choice of 6 set menus (mainly egg and toast) although we left early on our last day and couldn't use our breakfast coupon so they made us sandwiches to take away which was lovely

We did pay 600baht for a taxi to the airport which I believe is a bit excessive.

We asked for a deluxe room but got a studio (not complaining) which was nice and roomy with a kitchen. There were 2 free bottles of water every day and the room was cleaned daily.

Would I come back? Definitely

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alicerw
Karon, Thailand
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Having read many of the positive reviews, I booked one week at Sun Hill with my partner and her daughter who joined us for our last three days. The hotel is superbly managed by Roman and excellently run by his small team who made us feel genuinely welcome throughout our stay. The bedding and towels are changed everyday and the towel art is delightful and provides a nice photo opportunity.

An e-mail to Roman and he kindly organised a taxi to collect us from the airport. The taxi was 600 baht (£12) which was very reasonable for the one hour trip. By contrast all local journeys by taxis or tuk tuk have a set price of 200 baht (£4) although quite often you will be asked for more. As with many other places around the world, confirm the price before your journey.

The Jungceylon Shopping Centre/Bangla Road is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel.

TIP - I found the AEON ATM on the ground floor of the Jungceylon does not charge for cash withdrawals where the others appeared to charge 150 baht (£3) per transaction.

The only minor observation I had over the hotel was there was no safe in the room. However, safety deposit boxes are held behind reception and are available at no additional cost.

I would return in a heartbeat - 5 star service at 2 star prices !!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gosport
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Have been to Sun Hill several times in the past and can honestly say it is a very nice quiet hotel. Its just far enough out of town to be peaceful yet equally near enough for beach. There is transport outside. The prices are very low in comparision but I suppose reflect the fact that the hotel is not right on tge beach. SUN HILL is also very clean and food is good. Any problems (which I doubt you will have see Roman the owner) so to sm up if its low price good clean accommodation you want then go to SUN HILL.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed December 18, 2013

One of the best hotels in Patong! We saw many rooms before selecting to stay at Sun Hill. We ended up staying here for 2 weeks. The standard is really good and the staff very sweet.
We hung out by the pool every day almost.

The only thing missing is a gym ;)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My wife an I spent 9 days in Phuket for our honeymoon. Out of the 9 days we spent 7 days at Sun Hill Hotel. The first 2 nights were spent at the Senses Resort about 10 mins walk down the road from Sun Hill which was great but I wanted something that was easy on the pockets for our long stay without compromising on quality. I booked the hotel through agoda.com at a very affordable rate for 2 nights and decided to see how it goes from there. The service at the reception was great and i was offered the same rate if I would decide to extend my stay. We stayed in a room on the 1st floor in the building opposite the reception. The room has a view of the small private pool at the back which was not so impressive. The cleanliness was acceptable and the rooms were well maintained. They provide laundry service to guests. We did not get a chance to dine at the restaurant since we were always in the main city areas for lunch and dinner time. The reception was kind enough to arrange a scooter for us to rent so we can be mobile on the island and a day tour by car was also arranged by the reception at a reasonable price. You will need to spend on taxi or rent a bike if you prefer not to walk the 20 mins in to the city, it got tiring for us after the first 2 times so we rented a scooter for 4 days. Since we were happy with our room we decided to extend our stay for another 3 nights. All in all it was an affordable and pleasant experience at Sun Hill Hotel and would definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple