“Good value - my favourite place to stay in Patong”
Review of Sun Hill Hotel

Sun Hill Hotel
Ranked #111 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have stayed at various places in Patong over the years. I have just returned from a two week stay at the Sunhil, it wasn't t my first stay there and hope it not to be my last. As always, Roman and his team looked after us well and we had a great stay.

For me, the hotel strikes a good balance between accessibility to main attractions of Patong but just being tucked a little out of the way to enjoy some peace and quiet when required. Those wishing to enjoy the high energy excitement of the Bangla Rd nightlife can take the walk into town, but it can be a bit of a way if it’s a hot day. It’s more likely you take a tuk tuk or motorbike taxi from the stand opposite the hotel. The relatively small nature of the hotel means members of staff quickly become friendly and familiar faces and that can often be said of the other guests too.

I always hire a small motorbike from the hotel and having made enquiries elsewhere find the price very competitive indeed. Its great to have one just to pop into town on or to ride up the coast to find a quiet beach.

The rooms are always clean, comfortable, with good air con and offered at a fair price. The cleaning service is very efficient with the staff going out of their way not to disturb you. My favourite rooms are on the ground floor by the pool, so I cna walk straight out of my room for a swim. The pool area is always kept neat and tidy and a Jacuzzi is integrated into the pool itself.

The onsite restaurant serves both thai and western dishes, all to a good standard and at reasonable prices.

I cannot recommend this place enough if you are looking for good value accommodation in Patong.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Starorbar
There are newer reviews for Sun Hill Hotel

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Apart from my previous review of the Tropica hotel i also stay at The Sun Hill which is maybe 5 minutes by car (or less by motorbike) from patong beach. its tucked away at top of hill and is very nice and relaxing and peaceful. The room are very clean and well appointed but try the designer apartment little bit more expensive but worth it. Has small pool. At the entrance there is also the usual massage parlour. Staff i found are exceedingly helpful. and the owner is often on hand and friendly. If itsd cost your looking for try in low season with a standard room (which still beats a lot of other hotels ) but currently i think at 850bht check their web site info@sunhill-phuket.com or +6676345275 if it peace and quite you want you will not do better

Room Tip: if cost is not important try the designer apartment suite
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Mike F
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I recently stayed over the 2011 New Year period at Sunhill Phuket in the Suite room 431 and had a wonderful sojourn. I've stayed at Sunhill on numerous occasions in the past, but this recent stay was the best given that I chose the best room type of this small boutique hotel. The area and location is at the back of Patong on the hill side, which I find nice and cosy and away from the rat race of central Patong. The amenities in the room are good (Good aircon, decent bed and cable tv), and this room type is very spacious which is what I like. The lounge and kitchen are separated from the bedroom and the bathroom has a very large shower area. The laundry service could be a bit quicker but all in all a good experience and my preferred place to stay now in Patong. It's not near the beach, but a short tuktuk ride will get you there in minutes.

Room Tip: Room 431 the apartment suite ...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cenzo12
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Situated on the hill on Nanai Rd, Sun Hill is a short walk to the beach. Staff are friendly, helpful and can't do enough to make your stay enjoyable. Cheap, clean rooms equipped with everything you need.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I have read reviews from tripadvisor and checked out several hotels before deciding on Sun Hill.

Hotel: The balcony, room and bathroom are clean and they do arrange your facial towels in a different design daily. I stayed at the third level (on the building on the left, same building as reception counter) and it is pretty quiet! Wi-fi is available too!

Location: 15 mins walk to Patong beach. If you would like to visit the Jungceylon shopping centre, you need to get a taxi ot Tuk Tuk. There are some taxis ready for hire just along the road outside the hotel.

Breakfast: Do note that breakfast is only available from 8am. However, as we have booked daily tours with transfers which picked us up at 7am or 8am, there is no time for us to have our breakfast!

Staff: The reception staffs are very friendly. When we enquired about going to different places, they drew on the maps and gave us clear directions. Even when some of us were sick, she was able to recommend us the nearest clinic (with multilingual doctor) and advised us of the charges before hand.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessieyeo
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I was actually very disappointed with the hotel after reading all good reviews here. In fairness, hotel is nice, my room 123 was big enough and clean. Thats all positive about this hotel.
Staff in the most unfriendly and inefficient from all the hotels i have ever visited in Thailand. The only nice guy there is a German guy (I think that he is german) and he is the owner or the manager (i think).
Hotel charge for everything including water (much more expensive that in the shops). In all hotels i have ever visited, i got 2 free bottles of water. I rented a scooter from the hotel (hotel is very far away from everything, you need one or tuk tuk). Unfortunately i had a accident (not my mistake, report from Police that the other guy is responsible for all repair cost). During the accident i have lost my small bag with the hotel keys. Just after my arrive from the hospital, i was charge €50 by the hotel for theirs lost. When i booked out few days later, they charged me for fuel for scooter what i used, even that i gave it back with more fuel then was at the beginning of the rental. The girl on the reception also tried to overcharge me by one day and it took my 3 minutes with the help of fingers counting. And at the end they asked me for the money as they need to get to 10 miles away police station to collect the money for the scooter repair. I refused and i was shocked. Am i the customer or what? This hotel is unbelievable. Whatever the review says, i will never stay here again. Much better and much cheaper hotels in Thailand with much more helpful staff.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
16  Thank fils33
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I made this booking over the phone (due to Internet issues) & the girls at reception had all the answers at their fingertips which made the decision to stay easier.
they were even better in person.
outstanding professionalism on all their behalfs!
the building is a little dated, but it is only about 15min walk to patong beach/bangla road.
the rooms are also a bit dated, but clean and fresh.
There are no complimentary toiletries, tea or coffee, but the rooms are quite spacious.
I don't think all the rooms are noisy (other patrons didn't have a problem) but we got one (room114) where construction would wake you most mornings by 9:00am.
the wireless Internet never worked inside the room, but if you sit near reception on the stairs the signal is very strong.
the Mosquitos loved this.
never tried the food as there are too many brilliant choices 4min away by scooter at the Robinson shopping centre.
very good value for money, but i think a refurbishment would give this place alot more appeal.
sun hill hotel.. it's ok!

5/10

Room Tip: plenty of similar priced hotels in the 5km radius o this hotel. DON'T get room 114. you've...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family