“Mecure Patong Hotel - March'09”

Deevana Plaza Phuket Patong
Ranked #19 of 334 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Stayed there between march 15th-24th 09.
Great hotel and great location to patong night life and patong markets.
The only issue i had was we arrived early to hotel and were not allowed to check in until 2pm! and even then room was still not available till 3.30pm!!!!
Staff are very friendly and most helpfull but there english is limited.
Hotel has great pool, ground floor and 6th floor if u want to get away for some peace and quiet. Room serivce is quiet good.
Wifi available but expensive! go for a drink at shakers its free!
Opted not to have breakfast included in my hotel package, but dnt worry there is a place called Shakers to left of hotel that serves good american style breakfast and its cheap!
There are also heaps of small places to accomodate ur brekfast needs.
If ur looking for a good Italian meal there is a place called La Dolce vitta just opposite shakers (In Lane Way) you cant miss it and its managed by an Italian family. Food is exceptional and traditional italian food. Service is a little slow but worth the wait!
Hotel security is good! and rooms are quite nice and fresh.
Keep an eye out for buffet dinners being offered during the week, each day has a theme.. eg Tues Kebab, Wed Seafood.. etc
Dont bother changing over ur money at hotel exchange rate is poor, you will get better rates at exchange booths located every where along street.
Hotel is quite close to patong market only 5 minutes walk and around 30 minutes to Patong!!! thats where the nightlife is and all the fun!!!
If your single and travelling with the boys.. try Tiger Bar you will have some fun!
And for the single guys who decide to bring a local back to there room for some TLC be prpared to pay a 1500BHT guest fine, we saw alot of that happening at night while having a drink at foyer, quite funny!!!
Well to sum up Mecure Patong Hotel... EXCELLENT!!!
If you can afford to stay there... GO FOR IT!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,821)

Reviewed March 26, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Mercure Patong for 5 nights - booked in a Superior Room (Standard).

Reception: First issue was that the hotel tried to tell me that our booking didn't include breakfast - when it was clearly written on the booking confirmation (which thank goodness I had on me). They were able to clear this up, with a minimum of delay.

The reception area is an open area so not indoors, this creates a cool resort style feel, but the problem is that the heat and humidity can take its toll while your standing out in the open air waiting for service.

Overall though the reception staff were pleasant and performed rather well.

Room: The room was quite nice, our room had a view onto the back alley and the shopping market, but I think it was probably a better choice than a pool-view room.

Something to be weary of is that the hallways are all concrete so the noise absolutely is magnified when people walk to their rooms and shut (slam) their doors at night. This was quite annoying when you are trying to sleep and people are coming back to their rooms late at night.

The rooms are very well appointed and the hotel provides clean towels to use at the pool, which is very nice.

Location: The hotel is one street back from Patong Beach, however is a bit of a walk away from the main bar areas. This is however probably a plus as there is not huge crowds of people around.

Restaurant: The staff seemed a little bit out of it when it comes to cleaning plates and the floors. The problem is that with a number of families etc, there is always food and mess on the floor and I found this often didn't get cleaned up, so some days there would be some flys and bugs around.

Also the service wasn't brilliant - I had to ask 3 times to get a coffee and ended up going up to the kitchen and asking for some cutlery, as I couldn't find any.

All in all I wasn't terribly impressed with the hotel, there was nothing 'wrong' with it, however for the money I would have expected things to be a little bit better.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaverickRoss
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I stayed in Mercure Patong with my family for 3 nights in March 2009.

We had the family room which has a Queen bed and a bunk bed for the kids. Not many hotels offer such a "family room". If you are travelling with 2 kids, hotels usually stuff you in a room with 1 big bed and a cheap folding bed, or they will ask you to book 2 rooms.

The family room in Mercure Patong was spacious and clean. Housekeeping was prompt, and I was happy with the service. The room has an Xbox 360 and games (on request through housekeeping) to keep the kids entertained. My only complain about the room was the thin walls and door - we were woken up a few times by screaming kids along the corridor.

Breakfast was not included in the rate, and the breakfast in the hotel cafe was rather expensive - US$$34 total for 2 adults and 2 kids. We ended ordering room service "American breakfast" for 2 that was more than enough to feed the 4 of us. Room service breakfast cost about US$23 total + tips.

The hotel is NOT located on or near the beach. You have to walk about 500m along busy and uneven streets to Patong Beach. Patong Beach is crowded and overrated. You will be harassed every 3 mins to rent beach chairs, buy coconut, fruits, wooden croaking frog, whistling sticks, massage, etc.

We went to the spa in the hotel everyday - the prices are reasonable (not cheap) but the facilities are clean and the staff are professional.

There is a mall "JungCeylon" about 500m from the hotel. You exit the hotel and turn right. Walk along the street and the mall is on your right.

To get around Phuket or transfer to/from the airport, I would recommend you hire a licensed taxi in advance. Don't take any Tuk Tuk or unlicensed taxi because they WILL rip you off. I was told there are only 60 licensed taxis in the whole of Phuket! That's why Tuk Tuk and unlicensed taxis cheats are thriving. If you need the contact of a licensed taxi driver, please send me a message.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank doofygilmore
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights as part of our honeymoon. Upon arrival, room had a lovely little touch of a love heart formed with flowers on the bed. Lovely modern room, exactly as pictures on website show. BUT - bathroom tiles are cracked and worn, hair on floor and dirt marks everywhere too. Also, the second day, after being out all day, we came back to our room to find the drains pulled up and an overwhelming stench filled the room. I rang reception, their solution was to burn some incense! After another half an hour, I told them to fix it or move us, again the reception did not seem to understand why I was bothered by the smell. In the end the moved us though, to an identical room about 5 doors down. And each and every morning after that they would put incense in the bathroom which I found amusing. Breakfast was ok. Also tried a a seafood bbq buffet they had on which was quite good value. Pool was excellent and location was also quite good, in the middle of thngs and close to the night markets.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pinkrose22pink
Reviewed March 5, 2009

This hotel is definately overrated. My partner and I stayed at the Mercure for 4 nights. The staff initially put us in a corner room on level 2 which was: (1) noisy from other guests walking past or doors constantly closing; (2) had the most disgustingly dirty shower and tiles I have ever seen in a hotel or public bathing facility; (3) dark as it was behind a palm tree so it had limited natural light; and (4) had 3 mosquitos in the bathroom. We immediately requested to be moved to another room which was much brighter and quieter but still had a mouldy shower. The showers at this hotel are disgraceful especially for a new hotel. I will post up some photos so you can see how appalling and unhygenic it is. The water temperature also changes between hot and cold and the shower sprays water like the rose-head has been fitted by an apprentice plumber.
The buffet breakfast looks amazing but when you taste the food, it is pretty average. The chef cannot cook eggs properly - it was either significantly undercooked or overcooked and dripping with oil. We tried scrambled, poached, fried and as an omelette. We tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but to have eggshells or under/over cooked eggs everyday, it is disappointing. Breakfast finishes at 10.30am, so if you get there at 10.15am you better eat quickly. The staff pack the food away at 10.30am and by 10.36am there is nothing left - not even the drinks! An Earl grey tea is also not considered a complimentary tea but 70B extra. If a hotel's breakfast is average and they cannot get their eggs right (which they cook every day), then its no wonder why the restaurant is empty in the evening notwithstanding they offer a complimentary meal when you stay.
The front desk staff have limited English skills. They could not understand "do you have a shuttle bus to the airport" which I think is not only a common but basic question. Not getting anywhere despite asking the question in several different ways, at checkout we asked them to call a 'taximeter' taxi to take us to the airport. They said it was a flat fare of 950B for a taxi. This was ridiculous considering we paid 450B in a metered taxi from the airport to the hotel. I told them it was too much and to ring for a metered taxi, they then reduced the fare to 700B. Lets be honest, its one thing to bargain for a cheaper price at the markets, but another to negotiate with your hotel !! They didnt call a taximeter taxi for us so we negotiated a fare of 550B with a taxi outside the hotel.
Now be careful when you stand outside the venus spa room reading the services they offer. I was there for less than 1 minute when I was met by a female staff member who urged me to come in and tried to convince me to have a massage then and there. Again, you expect to be hassled on the streets of Phuket but not at the hotel ! They're not even cheap and this accounts for the 20% discount they offer.

The overall finish for a new hotel is poor. The furniture is basic and cheap and they miss the little touches that make a difference. i.e. 2 pillows for a king sized bed or 2 coathangers in wardrobe. I would not stay here again - not for the money anyway.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank merbear255
Reviewed February 26, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed for 4 nights at Mercure and we absolutely loved it. We were very impressed as we first arrived at the hotel.

On arrival, our bed was decorated with beautiful rose petals. The room was new and spotless. We loved the open view of the bathroom from our bed (which can be blocked out by closing the blinds). Our room also had a balcony (all rooms have one I think). Very stylish, beautiful rooms. Rooms were serviced daily, and free drinking water were supplied also. Staff were also very friendly and helpful. We were always greeted with a smile and hello.

The pools at Mercure are wonderful! Very clean and big. There's also a swim up bar where you can order drinks and food, was a very fun experience. There is also another pool on the top floor, small, but perfect for sunbaking.

The restaurant at the hotel had great food and great service. The buffet breakfast looked amazing - a lot to choose from!

Although the hotel is not located right next to the beach or the shopping centre, it is only a short walk away. I would definitely stay here again!

Also, if you are looking to book some day trips or tours, make sure you look around because most prices can be discounted by at least 50%!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank feeev
Reviewed February 26, 2009

we stay in this hotel for 4nights, perfect service, staff speak good english enough to communicate compare with others in thailand.
room is very clean and stylish. location is not bad, right next to the night market and about 5mins walk to the main beach and all those shopping and pubs.
will definetly return to this hotel when i go to phuket in the near future.
p.s the swimming pool is great and the second pool located on the top floor

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends