“Good Location,Ordinary otherwise”

Ranked #53 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Perth Australia
“Good Location,Ordinary otherwise”
Reviewed September 19, 2006

We stayed here for ten days, we had stayed here before six years ago. It had gone downhill since our last stay. There was a musty smell-and our air con was not the best. The breakfast was a bit ordinary, but the room service and poolside meals were very good. The best thing about this hotel is the location, you have access to both main roads and the soi leading to Soi Bangla.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank TJEmerson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
AUSTRALIA
Reviewed September 13, 2006

Beautiful resort, lavish gardens, filling breakfast. However room amenities can be a nightmare. I was 6 months pregnant at the time, traveling with my partner and our 3 year old.
Upon arrival, air conditioning failed to work. A problem lasting 3 days til we learnt to fix it ourselves. Hot water was also unavailable for 3 days regardless of informing reception on a daily basis and being told it would be fixed. Eventually, after no efforts to fix our problem, I requested to speak with the Manager. Front reception told me Management was on a break til 5:30pm. Putting previous plans on hold with only 2 nights left in Thailand, I waited to speak with him to be told he would not be back until 7pm, further hindering the plans for the evening. At 7pm, I was yet again denied access to Management and front reception finally gave us another room. So, I had to spend the rest of the evening repacking to change rooms. One whole night wasted in a Beautiful country.
The next day I again requested to speak to the Manager to inform him of my family's treatment and was again denied. This time I refused to take no for an answer as our new room leaked water everywhere from the shower recess making the floors dangerously slippery.
I eventually met with management and expressed my concerns over staff's refusal and disconcern to fix the problems in both rooms. He stated that he was unaware of the problem's we had experienced and that we had been trying to meet with him to discuss these issues with him.
I felt like I was an annoying inconvenience, although Management assured me that I was merely making 'recommendations' and was no such problem. Ostensibly, he too failed to take any appropriate action. It was our last day there, and we were still left in the current room, whereby the leaking shower/bath saturated the floors and many personal belongings.
As a family traveling, it was a nightmare and a very unfair way to treat customer's let alone a child.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Direct Services
  • Tips/Secrets — If any issues arise, wait at front reception until you can see management.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank AJ&Co
Victoria Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2006

Fist impressions last. We arrived at the Patong Resort and the foyer area is huge and rather grand.....then the smell hits you. It is so musty.....all the time. Not nice. Our room was a long way from the reception area and it smelt musty as well. There was mould around the tiles in the bathroom and a dead cockroach in the corner of the room - that stayed there for the 4 days we were there even though the room was cleaned???
The pool was lovely and warm and the breakfast was substantial and delicious. I probably would not recommend this hotel as I felt it was pretty tired. There were no tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms.

Stayed July 2006
3 Thank Doodstar
Reviewed May 27, 2006

I am writing this review so late as I didn't know of this site but the experience I had was so bad that I still remember it after more than 4 years. We had booked this resort for our honeymoon and which was communicated to the resort guys as well.
The staff so ok but not much caring. Leave aside any special welcome for the honeymoon couple which most big hotels do the first shock I got was that we got a room which had two separate small beds..now imagine having that on your honeymoon!!! We requested the resort to change it but to our chargin they didn't I had blast my travel agent on Long distance call and ultimately it got changed the next day. The conceirge was non exitent and staff not much helpful in telling about sight seeing or any veg. or indian restaurants.
The second biggest problem was the air conditioning which was not at all working properly I agree that the weather outside was quite hot and humid but that is why you need airconditioning. I have stayed in much hotter palce with first rate airconditioning. The hotel couldn't help with the cooling it was the same story in the other room as well. The location is also not that great as there is hardly any sea view. Most hotels there don't have private beach so better take a small hotel which is atleast cheap. WOuldn't recommend to honeymooners esp. in the hot season!

• Stayed May 2002
6 Thank Vimal_choudhary
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 13, 2006

We stayed at the hotel over New Year's! There was a very expensive compulsory gala dinner we had to attend so we were hoping it was worth our money! And for sure it was! The entertainment and food at the international buffet was great! They had every cuisine there I could think of! And to be in Patong over New Year's was fabulous! The hotel's location is sooooo close to the beach, shopping and restaurants. The fireworks were everywhere! We stayed in the Garden Wing and it was beautiful! The pool in that wing was nice and warm, when we went at 7pm! The breakfast buffet was very tasty and never too crowded. Our room was smaller and more expensive than all the other hotels we stayed in Thailand but we just thought of it to be so as Phuket has more tourism than the parts of the country. We are already planning to return to Phuket and staying at this hotel again. The price is good as well, I believe it was only about $80 per night and no jacking up on the price just because it was New Year's Eve, like some hotels do. The staff were all really friendly and the rooms clean.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 19, 2006

We had stayed at the Patong Resort pre-tsunami and went back in December of 2005. One noticeable change that we saw in 2005 were that in the Garden Wing, the ground floor corridors had removed that awful moldy smelling carpeting and gave it a much more airy feel. Many of the old staff that had been there on our previous 3 stays had also moved on although we did see some of the bellboys and wait staff in the coffee shop that we recognized and greeted (it's always fun when they remember you). The new owners of the tailor shop are obnoxious and rude whereas the old occupants tended to be a little more low key - although that might be a function of the post-tsunami loss of business.

Stayed in the Garden Wing junior suite - which has two rooms - one is a living room area with a small kitchen - no microwave or anything but with a small table and chairs and a sink.

The bedrooms in the Garden Wing need updating (unless it's the new Garden Wing - of which there's a section which was built in the last 2 years). Beds are not very comfortable and furniture is reminiscent of early 80s. Also note that the rooms have 2 twin beds in the Garden Wing - and they really are twin beds - not semi doubles.... The Pavilion Wing rooms are much newer but you do pay a small premium for them. The hotel ownership really needs to consider a makeover for the Garden Wing in terms of getting some new furniture and beds and bed linens - at the same time, the prices of those rooms also seems to have been the same for the last 4 years as well....

Pool and garden areas are well kept and maintained as has been in our previous years. Breakfast is good - not a great variety of breads and cold buts as in some hotels in Phuket like the Kata Thani or Kata Beach Resort but adequate with omelette/egg station, rotating variety of bacon/ham/sausage, pancakes, juices as well as a pretty good variety of Asian breakfast items including noodles, rice, miso soup, etc.

Location is always great, which is the primary reason we stay here - quiet at night, within walking distance of the restaurants, bars and beach. What we typically do for a 2 week vacation is to spend 4-5 days in a little nicer hotel perhaps further away from Patong like in Bang Tao, Karon or Kata beaches just to destress and get over our long flights and then make our way to Patong and stay here.

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank Spahkee
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2006

My parnter and I stayed at the Patong Resort for 8 nights and we cannot speak highly enough about this hotel.

The location was fabulous. Just a short 2 minute stroll straight to the beach and the night life is just around the corner.

The rooms do need a bit of upgrading, but they were a good size and always clean. The breakfast was great and had a wide variety of foods. We had dinner by the pool one night and it was a huge delicious buffet. Loved the outdoor music as well. Very romantic.

Staff were excellent and always helpful. The hotel offers a great Thai Massage too!

This hotel is excellent value for money and we will definetely be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2006