“Grand Stay!”

Grand Mercure Phuket Patong
Ranked #5 of 329 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed August 11, 2014

New beautiful hotel. From booking, transfers & checking in...all was done in a breeze. Staffs were all friendly & polite throughout our 4 days stay. Rooms were clean and nice as shown. We booked 5 rooms and were assigned to the same floor as requested. All rooms overlooked the swimming pool. The rooms we assigned maybe on the new wing and with the villas under construction just outside and since we are on 2nd floor, thus the corridors were dusty & drilling can also be heard during the day but as we were out so it doesn't really bothers us much. We have 2 boys, 5 & 11 and were initially quite worried that room maybe too small with the extra bed, but was extremely happy that 1 king bed + 1 extra bed fits our family well without having to use the sofa bed. Bed were superb soft and comfy, we had a great sleep after each tiring day out. Breakfast at Bubbles were delicious and F&B staffs were trying their very best to attend to everyone with smiles even though they were shorthanded. We all agreed that this is the best breakfast we had so far! Kudos to the F&B team & please keep it up! Location is great with local restaurants just across the road, turning right onto the main street-Bangla Rd & Jungcelyon mall in just 10-15mins. If you prefer a shorter walk to Jungcelon mall, just turn to left and left turn again, though no shops around or simply await for the free hotel shuttle bus at certain timing. Near to everything's happening but yet far away from the buzz for a quiet stay. Wasn't able to try Ryn Spa during stay due to limited slot and closing time at 6.30pm which is too early. Requested for breakfast box upon checking out due to early departure at 6am, thank you for the arrangement...a simple pack of sandwich, breads, packet drink & apple had made everyone tummy happy on their journey to airport. :) Great thanks to Mr. Chino for his patience in handling my booking, the staff who attended to me upon my checking in for his help and efficiency, and Mr. Jamnong for keeping the breakfast available for us even though we arrived late. All and all this is a great hotel and we have enjoyed a grand stay! The only regret is for not being able to fully enjoy the facilities here as we were out all days.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear V7457,

Many thanks for this wonderful review of our property.
I will take this opportunity to surely thank our Food and beverage teams as well as Chino, who's indeed doing a fantastic job in dealing with every guests in a very personalized manner.

Glad you enjoyed the early breakfast box! I believe we will extend the Spa hours to 8pm pretty soon, as you are the second person to mention about it this week :)

Looking forward to welcoming you all back soon!

with Grand regards,

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I was quite impressed upon my arrival in this hotel, it had a grand lobby that was beautifully lighted and a nice swimming pool area surrounded by buildings housing the guest rooms. The beach was a 5 minute walk and the main street with the shops and restaurants was just around the corner. However, my stay here was rather unpleasant at best. Below were some of the issues that we encountered during our stay.

1) Blackouts - Although this incident is not the hotel's fault, I was disappointed by the limited capacity of their generators. During blackouts, the room did not have electricity and the air conditioning was not working. This incident prevented me from having a good night's sleep for 2 of the 5 nights we stayed here. I'm expecting big hotels such as Grand Mercure to have sufficient backup power to be fully operational when this happens.

2) House keeping service - we arranged for an extra bed in the room because we were a group of 3. However, housekeeping would only provide us 2 sets of towels, bottles of water, etc. for the first few nights. Shouldn't it be a given that we need 3 sets after seeing an extra bed in our room? We needed to request for these repeatedly and it took them a really long time to respond.

3) Broken toilet - one morning our toilet broke, I stepped on a wet bathroom floor and the toilet was no longer working. We called to have this repaired before leaving for the day. We returned to find out they couldn't fix this right away and had to transfer to another room. Took us almost an hour to fix our things and move to the new room. It was quite annoying considering this hotel is brand new.

4) Front Desk - we presented 2 bookings upon check in because we had to book an extra night due to a change in our flight schedules, but they did not adjust the key card settings accordingly. So after a long day of touring around Phuket, we came back to our room to discover that we can no longer open our door. We had to walk all the way back to the front desk from our room (located at one of the farthest ends of the hotel) just to have the keys reset. Also noticed that there was a disparity in the English proficiency of some staff manning the desks. There was one exceptional employee there, I think his name was Sarayud. He was very helpful and efficient with his work.

5) Safety Hazards - Lastly, since we arrived during monsoon season, it just starts to rain heavily at random times. I was waiting at the lobby one time and the weather started to change with strong winds and gusts. Suddenly a tall glass vase on top of a table near me went flying, I even saw it in my peripheral view. Had I been 5 feet to the right at that moment, that vase would have hit my head. Maybe having that placed there in their al fresco lobby during this time of year wasn't a very good idea.. just saying. Their floors (mostly tiles) are also very slippery when wet.

Maybe we just had terrible luck, but I also did not feel that the hotel placed an effort to make our stay more comfortable or compensate for their shortcomings. Overall, it was a disappointment compared to the other Accor group hotels I've stayed in so far.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank ryuready

Dear Ryuready,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us all.
I am personally very sorry about the inconveniences caused during your stay, whether when the blackout occured or when your toilet broke down.

These things can unfortunately happen but as you correctly mentioned, the fact we couldn't anticipate and compensate you accordingly is a totally different matter, for which we are usually very accomodating... especially during these first few months of operations.

To come back to the blackout and generator use, it did happen twice last week and while the municipality was working on fixing the main supply line, we automatically switched into "generator mode". I am not sure if you are familiar with the terms (no worry, i wasn't either until joining), but we have one of Phuket's most powerful generator in comparison to our number of room. It's a 1,200KW unit that provides electrical supply to all the rooms (emergency lights in rooms x2 and fresh air instead of air-conditionned), the lobby, the lifts and corridors, the surrroundings like walk ways and the restaurants.

Those are unfortunately happening quite often in Phuket (and any other city than Bangkok) and i can ensure you none of the property on the island, whether a 4 or 5* could have provided enough power to supply all rooms (as if nothing had ever happened).

I understand the frustration as i was myself in the lobby, discussing with a few "surprised" clients and appreciate the fact you understand it has absolutely nothing to do with us.

However, and wehn it comes to safety hazards and Housekeeping standards, it is our entire responsability and for those i have to present my appologies to you. I believe communication is important and i wish i could have had the chance of meeting you and discussing these matters with you directly rather than on this platform, maybe next time.

I did send you a personal appology note too so please feel free to contact me back shall you decide on giving our team and property a second chance...

Thank you once again.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
6  Thank Benny W
Sebastien T, General Manager at Grand Mercure Phuket Patong, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Great location right opposite the markets. The staff wer excellent on arrival and departure, every need is met, including some bottles of water when we mentioned we were hot. Such fantastic service in Thailand but this one was the best of the 3 hotels. The foyer was beautiful to sit in and the pool area was nice. The buffet breakfast was good but it took me a while to get a coffee, the previous hotel you could get your own freshly ground from a few machines ready to go.
I would stay here again definately. Nice modern rooms and bathroom. Was only here for one night but would recommend highly.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa197555

Dear Melissa 197555,

Many thanks for this wonderful review!
It is always a pleasure to see guests living happy and the only reason why we are here to be honest :)

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 7 nights. As a family of 6 we needed two rooms and we requested either side by side or preferably interconnecting. I was informed we would be able to have interconnecting which I was happy about. I also requested a baby sitter on our first night as it was our wedding anniversary.

On the day we checked in we arrived early and were happy to leave our luggage and come back at check in time. We came back 1/2 an hour after check in time only to be told the rooms were still not ready. The staff offered us cold drinks to try and make up for the inconvenience which was very well received. Once we were able to go to our rooms they were not interconnecting but at least they were side by side. The rooms were lovely and clean and fresh, the king sized bed very comfortable and the air conditioning worked well. There was a shower over bath, the water tended to go hot and cold. There were some great amenity packs, shower cap, shaving kit, cotton buds, a comb, but I was surprised to find no toothbrush. I thought the clothes line should have been above the bath not next to the toilet but that was just a cosmetic thing however I was disappointed not to be able to find a power outlet in the bathroom for my hair straightener. Only the ones for a shaver.

When booking in I tried to confirm the babysitter however they claimed to have not received the email which ruined our anniversary plans. They may have been able to arrange someone but we decided we just wanted to de stress and have an early night instead.

After having just spent a week at another resort when it was my husbands birthday and they surprised him with a cake I was a little disappointed not to even receive a 'Happy Birthday' when my birthday arrived.

I found the majority of the staff to be very polite and happy to help. I even had the pleasure of speaking with the head manager a couple of times. Once after my son had been sick and she seemed genuinely concerned and told her staff if we should ring for anything to make sure they help out. She even offered soup which was very kind. Unfortunately both my husband and 2 other members of the family also became I'll. One being my 7 year old who wanted to sleep in our room so we called for an extra blanket..... 3 times! That brings me to the phone. None of the extensions were working, we could only dial '0' for the operator who I think was getting a little frustrated every time we called ( for room service etc)

On one occasion after we ventured out for some shopping and rushed in ( we had a car ordered to pick us up in 30mins) the card would not open the door. Again I called 3x before a couple of maintenance men came, took our card and tried it on the door.... Of course it didn't work for them either so they called for someone else. All in all we sat outside our room for 1 hour waiting to get in, we had to change our plans with our driver and we didn't even get as much as a " sorry about the inconvenience" from the member of management who came to recharge the battery in the door. The power went off on a couple of occasions however the backup generator allows the aircon and bathroom lights to continue to work. We were without power for most of that day until we realised the kids had power restored in their room. So I called '0' again and explained to the operator our issue this time. She suggested we make sure the door to the balcony was closed as the aircon doesn't run when it's open, obviously she hadn't heard correctly because the aircon was still going it was the rest of the power that was out. We had arranged a day out so left and when we returned our power had been restored..... Until it went out again that night! The breakfast had a good selection but they definitely need a dedicated coffee server, too many times we had to chase the coffee and tea in the morning. I was glad to see they got rid of the decorative breads which had not been preserved properly and were mouldy by the 3rd day of our stay. The menu for lunch and dinner was very limited as was the cocktail list. We ordered a piña-colada special which was supposed to come served in a young coconut, but it didn't. I ordered the panini with pesto rocket and cheese (definitely no meat after having 4 sick family members I didn't want to risk it) it came out 45 mins later, full of pastrami. The fries and wedges were great! You need to be extremely careful with your drinks around the pool as there were European wasps climbing in and out of the cans. Definitely only drink from a glass or using a straw. The hotel lobby was kept clean however in the week we were there the stainless steal doors of the elevator were not cleaned and had finger prints all over them, their was sand on the elevator from the second day till the day we left, and the walkway between the elevator and pool had not been swept. I hope most of these issues were only teething issues and can be sorted because this hotel is in an excellent position and has great potential. Would I stay again? I'm not sure, I'd probably see if there was anything as good that was cheeper but if not I would give the Grand Mercure patong another shot and hope they address some of these issues.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Lionscrest

Dear Lionscrest,

Thank you very much for such a detailed review... We really appreciate the time taken into sharing your thoughts and experience and have already started working on a few of the issues you and your family have unfortunately encountered.

But before that, i would like to thank you for giving us a 4* still, as it appears rating could have easily been a 2* or a 3*, looking at those little episodes that are indeed spoiling an overall enjoyable stay.

As much as it pretty out of our hands when it comes to room key system or Patong's recurrent blackouts that immerse the entire area into darknes, communication is something we have to improve so to be able to react quickly. It seems it was again the case in regards to the babysitter and at the restaurant too.

I am glad to see that the kindness of the team and its willingness to help were noted and much appreciated. I will personally thank my assistant K.Sumontha (Nune) as well as the rest of the team for their dedication.

I have this morning talked to our IT Manager who unblocked the door lock and he felt so sorry about the comment shared. He is a very kind person and didn't mean any direspect at all i can ensure you.

I am very sorry again about the birthday cake. As you could see in a few of the Trip Ad. pictures, we are usually preparing a very nice cake for those specific occasions, whether on request or as a standard procedure. There were so many things i could spend the day appologizing... especially looking at the 3 of you seating on the floor of our corridors.

I am really sorry for all those inconveniences and do hope you will give us another chance sometime soon.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to, my personal email being sebastien.tronchet@accor.com

Many thanks for your time once again.

with kind regards,

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Stayed here for 8 nights with my partner.
Hotel is beautiful and brand new. Rooms were just the right size and price.
Hotel staff were incredibly polite, friendly and helpful.
Location is perfect. It's a short walk to the beach, Patong Road, Bang La Road and many other attractions.
Highly recommend

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sam S

Dear Sam S,

Many thanks for this short yet fantastic review.
Very happy to see you both had a superb stay with us and took a bit of time to explore the neary attractions too :)

See you again very soon,

Reviewed August 8, 2014

We have just returned home after staying at the Grand Mercure for twelve nights. This hotel is excellent. The decor is beautiful, the staff are friendly and attentive. We have visited Patong six times and this is the best hotel we have stayed in. It is the first time we have been in a hotel that the general manager and his assistants have gone out their way to be friendly and helpful. Reception staff are first class and always enquire to see if there is anything they can do to help you. The restaurant staff all appear to be happy at their work and they all speak English well. Food in the restaurant is excellent. We send a big thank you to all staff and hope to be back in the future. Joyce and Ron Crawford

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Joyce C

Dear Joyce C,

Thank you very much for this wonderful review of our property.
We are very happy to hear such comments about the team and hotel itself and can't wait to have back with us at the end of the year!

Many thanks again,