La Vintage Resort (Former Poppa Palace Hotel)
Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa(Patong)(Great Value!)
$116
  • Restaurant
$72
$65
Very Good 4/5
Patong Beach Hotel(Patong)(Great Value!)
$69
$23
$144
Marriott Hotels
Great 4.5/5
Banthai Beach Resort & Spa(Patong)(Great Value!)
$79
  • Pool
All reviewsorange restaurantpatong cornerdeluxe studiobangla roadfamily roomwalking distance to beachair conbangla rdquiet hotelacross the roadquiet streetswimming poolsmall balconydecent sizerooms are cleanthai massagewi fi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Before going to Poppa we read a lot of reviews about the charging for everything, we didn't find this a problem. We spoke to a guy on reception about the issue and he said they only charge for tattoo stains or broken items.

The staff were helpful carrying our bags to our room on arrival. The room we stayed in was a deluxe and it was lovely. Very spacious and clean. The bathroom was the nicest we have had since beginning exploring Asia.
A slight annoyance was that the air con would cut out in the night, but they have a fan in the room which you can leave running all night for coolness. The room would cool down very quickly after a day in the sun by turning the air con and the fan on.
The breakfast was nice, a lot of things I found strange like salad and rice but the toast, omelette, eggs and juices were a nice start to the day!

We had a problem with one of our tours and the men on the welcoming desk were so helpful. Ringing the tour operater and the guy we booked through explaining we had not been picked up, letting us keep there mobile whilst people rang us back to sort everything out!

All in all, for the money you pay to stay at this hotel it is great. Would recommend it for anyone wanting a relatively cheap stay in pattong !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The staff have very bad English and a just plain rude. We had a baby sitter come for 2 nights to look after our daughter and when we came back to the hotel we needed to get back into the room and instead of just coming up to open the door for us they made me pay 200baht for a card to open the door just for me to walk back down stairs to get my money back. We asked twice for a third towel as there were 3 of us in the room but they never gave us another. Wifi always drops out and u have to pay for it. We used 2 pool towels ( which you have to sign for ) and had a staff member knock on our door at 8:30 at night with his hand out saying "towel", no sorry or anything. A couple times we would walk through the foyer and a stray dog would be sleeping on the ground. They supply 2 free bottles of water which we took to phi phi island with us one day, we came back and there was a bill for the "free water". I went down to speak to them and they replied with "water free, bottle not free". So they wanted to charge is for the bottles as they get refilled. I told them I refuse to pay and got very angry. Never ever stay here again!!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank TriggerJones
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel a few times going back to 2009, it has had an extension built onto it recently.
Staff are really friendly, its a beautiful hotel and located very near beach and close to all nightlife.
Motorbike hire also close.
Excellent hotel

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I booked this place as it seemed good value on the Net, yet without being particularly excited about the prospect of staying here (by comparison, Jang resort looks lovely in real life and in online pics for similar money) because of what appeared to be its location at the end of a hot and dry dead end street (which wasn't, as it turned out), and to me a dicky name (er, poppa palace??)

But when I arrived, first impressions were very good. It has a nice, typically Thai style open foyer you walk into, and the staff greet you with a smile and a refreshment. That always makes for a nice first impression, cos when I arrive at a hotel in Patong, I'm usually hot and bothered (I change hotels a lot, to sample them like a buffet basically, and so end up walking from one to the next, cos the taxis in Phuket are such a scam).

Then when I was shown to the room, it was also a nice feeling to walk into the room and realise the room is as good as, if not better than, I'd expected it to be from the booking site photos. Spacious, nice decor, and has that nice touch of luxury where the bathroom has its own little window to the bedroom they do in the classier joints.

The only thing I was slightly disappointed about was in the description for my room, it says the room has a bath tub and pool view. Yes, technically it did have both. But what's that they say about the letter of the law versus the spirit? The tub is child size, luckily I'm a short (170cm) guy, but forget about sharing it with your partner, its 3/4 of a standard (Aust) size if that. And the pool view? Yes, if I walk to the edge of my balcony and look straight down 2 floors, I see a pool directly below me, but I was kinda hoping for the view to be visible from a relaxing viewpoint inside the room...er no.

Value for money, it was around $70 a night, so not overly cheap (for Patong) , but compare that to the $60 I paid for a FAR less than memorable experience at Limburi down the road, I'd say its well worth it. It has a nice, quiet outdoor pool area, although not as cosy and intimate as the vibe at Jang Resort (similar money), but the room and public areas were just as quiet. Also, unlike the Limburi, which had an air con system so infernally noisy you switched it off and put up with the heat overnight, this place had a whisper quiet system you could sleep all night with.

The Internet service is utterly crap; you are better off to go off to a local internet shop, but if you can put up with the snail like speed, its reasonably priced at 20baht per 20mins, and is handily located in the lobby, although when I was there, only one out of about 6 PCs was working, and there seemed no hurry to fix the other 5.

The breakfast was OK, but nothing memorable. One type of pre cooked egg, no bacon or ham, but the omelettes cooked on demand were OK. I didnt feel the need to get out of bed in time just to get the included breakfast, its not like the fab buffet I had at the Deevana.

The hotel appears to be at the end of a cul-de-sac, but thanks to the advice of the bell boy, I discovered the lane does continue on in a fashion all the way to the beach (via someone's back yard it seems), so you dont have to walk back down a dead end street to get to the beach, as I had initially thought. This also means there is no passing traffic, so its lovely and quiet.

All in all, I can recommend this place unreservedly.

Other things nearby were a plus:

There is a massage joint opposite (untried, but looked much classier than the usual cheapo shopfronts), with no pressure ladies outside (unlike the swarms outside Jang resort), and a laundry service opposite that got my load mixed up with everyone elses due to a mishap on the day, (it ended up happily thank goodness).

There is also a very, very nice restaurant over the road on the corner, at the Pacific Lights hotel I think its called. The food was great, and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: get one facing poolside, not for the view of the pool mind you, but the alternative is a room facing out into the street, which although its not noisy, the view could not be in any way be described as inspiring
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

This place is all you need in Phuket, it is affordable, clean and the staff are great. There have been a few bad reviews that I read and the only thing I agree with is that the wifi should be free. Other than that it's great, looks are nice, breaky is good, location is the best! Down a nice quiet street just behind all the Main Street. I can recommend fly south travel agent. They are located just under the patong corner cafe across the road from the hotel. Really friendly family, who speak great English and will give u a good deal. We booked all our day trips from here. We will stay here again if ever in Phuket, it is great for family and young people. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013