“Terrible service & no no for light sleeper”
Review of Safari Beach Hotel

Safari Beach Hotel
Ranked #167 of 329 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located next to the famous Bangla Rd which you will definately hear the loud music all night long. Prepare your ear plug or make sure you are drunk before you go to bed each nigh.
Hotel amenities & the pool are good but it's not enough to compensate with poor service of the front dest. We are leaving in the early morning (7am) to catch the flight & requested the front desk the settle the bill the night before but was rejected due to their precious mini bar charging.
When we work up early in the morning for the check out & we presented more then 2 credit card & was told its rejected by the card centre. At last the card manage to ge through after approch the restaurant cashier. Apparently the front desk do not how to operate the credit card machine.
As the result we almost missed our minivan to airport & have the eat the packed b'fast on the the way to air port.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank alanskyeo

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for four days with my girlfriend. The service was poor. Room ok had problems with a/c. 15 mins after we checked out they withdrew $750 Aussie dollars out of our account for no reason. When we called back trying to sort this out they suddenly didn't understand English and kept saying "mini bar" mini bar". Managed to get reimbursed $700. They intentionally stole our money. Beware!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed in the Safari Beach Hotel for a couple of nights in late April 2013. I stayed in possibly what was their last available Contemporary Thai Deluxe Family room, specifically the closest ground floor room to reception.

I booked on the web at the very last minute as my usual places were full, it was easy and quick. The mid range room was 3200 Baht per night, I think quite reasonable value overall. 10% dep was taken at booking, as opposed to some hotels who take 100% payment. I also booked a car from the airport via the hotel. The driver was waiting for me when I arrived, the car was comfortable, clean, and got me directly and quickly to the hotel. The hotel entrance is a little set back from "Beach Rd", next to the Savoey Seafood Restaurant.

The checkin staff at 10pm was friendly, helpful and smiling. Very pleasant.

My room was huge! It was quietly decorated, and reasonably modern looking. Very large windows allowed in plenty of light, but being close to reception not quite as private as other rooms no doubt. The curtains provided excellent light blocking and therefore privacy anyhow. It has plenty of chairs, a small table, a couple of bench's for luggage storage, a closet for clothes hanging and numerous mirrors.

The bed was huge, and stocked with plenty of pillows and cushions. As usual for Asian hotels, it is on the hard side, but (as usual) for me it was excellent. The room was perfectly clean, excluding the splatted mosquito's on the ceiling and walls from other travelers (Ill cover that briefly later), the linen was of good standard (read clean and not threadbare), although the cushions probably weren't as clean as they could be, but the pillows were fine. The other amenities include bar fridge lightly stocked with drinks and a few snacks, LCD TV and DVD player, weighing scale (don't do it...your on holidays!), and decent lighting. It has an individual large (it was quiet) air conditioner, which functioned well. The key to the room is the traditional metal key, with the tag activating the electricity inside. You can leave the key with reception when you go out, so no worry about misplacing it!

The bathroom was of unusual layout but very functional and clean. It has a large walk-in shower, separated from the western size toilet (with bum gun) which is then separated from a basin / large mirror and closet. On the whole, it is clean and "comfortable". The normal shower bodywash, shampoo and conditioner plus hand soaps are provided, along with shower-cap. Curiously no toothbrush or toothpaste....but this isn't the first hotel not providing it...easy to get in the various convenience stores close by anyway. Bath towels (a little small for westerners) and hand towels were fine.

The pool looks inviting, however for me it wasn't private enough with the restaurant customers virtually looking into it, I didn't use it. Complimentary WiFi was available, and worked well for me. I'm sure they have a tour desk, but I didn't use it. The breakfast was supplied as part of my package, but I didn't use it.

Location wise it is excellent in my opinion. It is literally across the road from Patong Beach, with Bangla Rd almost next door. There are, of course, numerous Family Mart / 7-11 convenience stores within minutes, plenty of currency exchange booths as well. The Savoey Seafood Restaurant is next door, and I think all hotel guests get 10% discount in the restaurant. Sadly I can't recommend The Savoey. I've eaten there 3 times on 3 separate visits to Patong, and each time the food was simply OK, but the service is slow and lacking some spark (I'm trying to be nice about not recommending it!). Across the road in front of the Patong Beach Resort is a great little cocktail car which opens till very late (or is it early?). Jungceylon shopping centre is a 5 min walk down Bangla Rd (or about 180 Baht on the Tuk tuk if you feeling lazy!).

There are 2 negatives to this hotel. Neither are the fault of the hotel itself, and may be of little concern to you, as the Thai's say, up to you! Many previous reviews of various hotels in Patong mentioned the mosquito problem. I never noticed it before, but this time I did. Whilst they don't usually feast on me they do annoy me no end. I found myself chasing and disposing of numerous specimens, as had previous guests due to the number of dead ones on the ceiling and walls. Take note this is not a complaint, being Thailand IS a tropical country, and the immediate surroundings (pleasant palm trees, water features and pool etc) encourage all sorts of "nature"!

The second is of noise. Previously in other hotels (on other visits), in the background I heard party town Patong, but it didn't disturb me. This time I DID notice the noise. It was intrusive, but still it did not bother me. Obviously its good location to the party street Bangla Rd is the reason. So if you are a light sleeper, and get annoyed with background noise especially when you want to sleep, this may not be the hotel for you. But then again, why choose Patong if you don't want the nightly entertainment!?

My return car booking was missing at checkout. However, the desk staff rectified that on the spot and I was in a car a few minutes later. Another excellent reason for me to compliment the staff, even with my limited interaction with them.

This also makes me remind some of you, the hotel does charge for guests staying who are not checked in. I mentioned to the checkin attendant my girlfriend (Thai) would be staying with me, but she wasn't with me at checkin. The following night, a different reception attendant wanted her ID and would have charged for her staying. I mentioned I had told the previous attendant this would be happening, and he used common sense and accepted this without further issue. I mention this as some hotel staff simply stick to the rules, and use no common sense or flexibility with such simple matters. In this instance this gent gave good service and I trust the other staff would have too. I think this type of thing makes a good stay compared to a bad staff in reference to the customer service the staff provide.

So, a two night stay, and a big review. Overall I would be happy to recommend this hotel. The only proviso, be aware there may be a mozzy problem (NOT unique to this hotel), and the noise intrusion may bother some.

Room Tip: Possibly a 1st floor room may alleviate the mozzy problem, and give a little more privacy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank APD-AUS
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just 2 minutes from Bangala and Beach Roads. The room was noisy at night until the bars closed. Room was very clean with great air con. Had trouble with the water being too hot which they could not fix. They moved me to a more costly room which was very nice. Nice swimming pool and very good housekeeping service. Overall, great location with nice rooms.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Booked 2 nights, first night did not sleep at all because there is a nightclub right next to this hotel, the music was so loud that my room furniture and the walls were rattling until 7am... AND I MEAN RATTLING!! requested a room change and they just stung me an extra THB3300 for one night (i already paid a lot for the first room). The man on reception was totally unhelpful and Im really not happy. My serious advice is find a different hotel as the

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 2, 2013

JUst want to say . Thank you to all the staff there. They are great . The place was very nice and clean. Had a great time. Would go back to the same place next ime. :) The pool area was nice and clean. Also its only a little walk to the main street. Some times its a bit noise with the main street not far. but its all good other wise.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank DonnaD662
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at the safari hotel 4 nights and found the rooms spacious and comfortable, yes you do hear the thump of the music but luckily it did not disturb our sleep, breakfast was good.
The restaurant next door The Sauvoy was always busy and ate there a couple of times, a bit pricey but nice food that's if you eventually get anyone to take your order as a couple of times we waited over 15 mins then eventually walked out.
Definitely cannot fault the hotel as all the staff were nice and polite, we will certainly come back here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple