“Sleeplessly noisy”
Review of Safari Beach Hotel

Safari Beach Hotel
Ranked #169 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Would only recommend this hotel if you were planning to party all night out in Patong. Even though we were at the far end of the hotel - Rm 218- The Hollywood disco and other nearby venues drive you insane with overly loud monotonous bass rumble that destroys any chance of sleep you want. It's just a mash-up of all the bass sounds from all clubs in the area. Even mid week and during the rainiy season we were kept awake till 6am. It was so bad we had to cancel our tour the next day due to lack of sleep and then move to another hotel even though we had booked for another night. Couldn't get out of paying for the full 2nd night's accomodation as we had slept past the time for late check out and would have to have paid 900 baht for the day rate. Coupled with the 600 baht booking amendment fee from webasia direct it wasn't worth the hassle. Would recommend not using a booking website in future and to call the hotel direct as most problems can usually be sorted out with the hotel. Hotel staff understood about the noise problem and gave us a free transfer to our next hotel which was nice. Rooms look a little tired and didn't receive our advertised welcome drink or 10% off at the restaurant so we ate elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Good location for shopping and beach access although cars in drive-way are a huge hassle, sometimes could not even get to reception. We had to change rooms after the first night because of the terribly loud music from bangla road it vibrated of the walls. Breakfast was fine with a selection of toast, juice, pastries, cereal and eggs etc off the menu. We were disappointed to find that breakfast was not served on the beach as indicated on their website, maybe they should update this. Rooms were cleaned very well. Pool closes at 6pm which is quite ridiculous as sometimes we were out til then and felt like a swim when we got back.

They also tried to charge us for a broken soap dispenser, which was already broken when we arrived. I advised them of this and they said ok. The soap dispenser in our second room was also broken.

We had paid for and organised our hotel to airport transfer for 3.45am. The driver wandered in about 4.05am and really couldnt care less'if we were late to the airport.

Overall an average hotel,great breakfast staff but dont stay here if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: choose a room on same side as reception as they are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Potong beach great place to stay & play best place to exchange your money

Room Tip: All rooms are the same
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Arrival:. Staff fairly friendly but you had to clamber over cars parked in front of reception in order to get to the front desk.
Room: A bit debilitating to have to cross the busy beach road to get from the main hotel arrangement to the beach room. Room was nice enough though, all you need unless you want to spend your entire time in it. Free WiFi internet access. Bathroom clean and well appointed. Large bed (a bit hard for my liking but that is personal to holder). Access to the beach at the foot of the stairs was locked so you had to traipse round the corner, otherwise you would have been straight onto it. They should get that sorted.
F&B: Reasonable bar at the front on the road so a good place to spend an hour or two reading and people-watching. They have Ricard (pastis), always a sign of a knowledgeable bar manager, and quite an array of cocktails including but not limited to a Magarita which I assume was an attempt at the well known Tequila based drink. But avoid the Savoey Cafe which is where they tempt you to have your price inclusive breakfast. Nobody met us at the door to seat us, we had to go and ask for the menu, it all took ages and they forgot some of the order. The English breakfast was more american with a straightened out Wimpey bendy burger for those of you old enough to remember Wimpeys. (Basically a frankfurter with cuts). Much better to go to the Yorkshire Inn around the corner where it is proper food and a real English breakfast - with black pudding - the sole determinant of a good breakfast.
Location: Could not be better. Right on top of the action.
Overall: By taking breakfast elsewhere, a perfectly good place for the price. No problems with using again.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandonista
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed here in may in room 119 (Thai Deluxe), the room was clean, A/C good and breakfast was very basic - yogurt / bakery / eggs / toasts & fruit, the hotel is VERY central to the beach, bangala road and the shopping centres,
The Property appears to be going thro a refurb, as the furnishing looked VERY new (and differed from anything that we had seen in the photos) and while we were ther they were re-painting the outside / redoing the gardens

The room that we stayed in was VERY quiet and the only noise we could hear was from the internal resturant singers, The downturn of this hotel was that the hot water took a long time to come thro and only made the water slightly warmer than if you just had the cold water running!

Overall I probly wouldnt stay here for longer than a few days due to the property being basic, but was nice for the 3 days that we stayed.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AsiaTraveller2012
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I paid what I think is a very high price for the Contemporary Thai Grand Deluxe room seeing as it is a very low to average standard room.

I originally booked the hotel for 2 nights but I asked about moving to a cheaper room or cancelling my room the 2nd day because I was disappointed with the dirtiness of my room considering the price I was paying. As soon as I arrived in my room I found maggots in my kettle.

I booked my room through Latestays.com and I tried to call them to ask how I should complain about the hotel. This company were not helpful whatsoever but instead seemed to side with the hotel. I was not offered any discount on my room and when I asked for a discount I was denied any despite the fact that I was not happy with the room and I had maggots in my kettle.

I was allowed to cancel my 2nd night free of charge but this is the least that the hotel could offer. They also told me that if I booked the hotel directly with them that they would give me a discount. I do not see how booking through latestays.com makes any difference to the price as it was not much more discounted than the normal price.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Very expensive, outdated and very dirty and VERY unfriendly manager......the rest of the staff were ok.

Room Tip: Do not choose any room in this hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank teddiane
Reviewed May 1, 2012

The hotel is in a great location being just down the street from the main nightlife, across the street fromt he beach, and centrally located from the mall/restaurants. What's even better is it is located right next to an excellent restaurant called "Savoey". It was tempting to have all my dinners there.

The only downside to the hotel is the rooms look a bit outdated and the first room we were in had a broken A/C. Reception was very kind to locate another room and could not move us to another room of the same size until the next day. It was a bit of a hassle but at least everything was taken care of by reception and the room was ready sooner than expected. Breakfast at the hotel is a pretty good so if you are up early enough for that, i would definitely recommend you go get some.

Room Tip: There are clubs on the back end towards Bangla Road that open till very early in the morning so if y...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends