“Decent small hotel in Patang”
Review of Squareone

Squareone
Ranked #144 of 321 Hotels in Patong
San Francisco, California
“Decent small hotel in Patang”
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Our room was clean and large, and there was a tv with dvd player in room which was perfect for all the cheap dvds you can buy in Thailand. The staff are very friendly! My only complaint was the pool was small and no breakfast and there was some mold in the bathroom, but that's typical in Asia considering the humidity.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2010

The hotel was recommended to me by a friend from my previous visit so I took a chance and was not disappointed.

The staff were extremely accommodating and very friendly, couldnt do enough for me during my stay.

The room was great (one bedroom suite), lounge with TV and video not that I watched a lot of it to much to do.

I found the pool big enough to relax in as I was always there in the morning so no others there at that time. Only 15 rooms at Squareone so you are not going to get masses around the pool at any one time so it is adequate for all to enjoy.

You can order food in and it is very cheap and takes little time to arrive, I ordered brunch around 10.30 most days and on most occassions would eat it in the pool area at the same time as the staff so joined in with them and had a chat.

Close enough to many parts of the nightlife but far enought away to be quiet when you wanted it to be. 5 mins to the beach if that is what you wanted, you could book tours at the hotel, hire a scooter and also had a taxi svc.

All in all I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and will definately stay again on my next visit. Talk to the staff and you will be suprised just how friendly they are so have a great trip.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed May 21, 2010

Located one street back from the beach on the main strip of Patong, this guesthouse is only a 5-10 minute walk from the beach but pretty far (20 minute walk) to the main shopping center and bar and restaurant area. Our room was on the 4th floor and we had to climb many, many steps to get up there. It was also extremely hot up there and it took over 40 minutes for the a/c to cool off the room. The room was average and clean on arrival but they never bothered to come up and clean anything or take out the trash in the 4 days that we were there. One of the staff members spoke English pretty well but none of the other people who worked there spoke any English at all and were therefore very unhelpful. They were all completely useless at helping us book tours or transfers and said they did not even know the boat or bus schedule. Worse still, they did not even try to find out any information for us after we requested it. The pool was nice although very, very small and a bit smelly. The free in-room wifi was ok and the TV had a good selection of channels. The view from our window was also not very good as we looked out onto a sewage/trash dump. Square One was not bad for the low price (much lower when we called than what’s listed on the website) but overall it was very average. If you are looking for an average budget place that is clean and has the basics, then we recommend the hostel but make sure you do not stay on the top floor or expect the "luxury" promised on their website.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Shanghai
Reviewed December 26, 2009

I have been waiting to write a positive review where I have found good service, a comfortable room and value for money and I found it here at Square One Patong Beach Phuket. This is a basic Hotel, big white tiles on the floor, plenty of cupboard space, FREE wifi (fast), big comfortable bed and nice size bathroom, open with no shower curtin (this could be a challenge for some as water does go everywhere but it does drin fast. The staff at this Hotel are very friendly, they can pick you up from the airport for around Thai 600 (USD15) in a clean car. The Hotel is located at the end of a small street that runs into the creek that runs through the beach. The location suited me as I like the walk to the beach and it was out of the way from the night noise of Patong. The Hotel has a small bar with cheap drinks next to a small but deep and clean swimming pool.

Seriously if you are after a clean, affordable small Hotel this area has heaps and this is one os several I have stayed in. I plan to stay at another very close to this that looks even better but Square One is great value.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed November 25, 2009

I was planning for a 4day/2night vacation and booked standard triple room. The hotel is nothing like what you see in pics here!
There is no lift. So it was a pain to go all the way to 4th floor. Pool is also very small.

Most disappointing thing was the behaviour of the staff. They were not friendly and the price they quoted for packages for phi-phi/ james bond island tours was also very high. Worsst thing is they were not even giving Soap !! We had to go all the way down to reception and ask for it ! Note that there is no phone in the standard room :) There is no breakfast.

It is definitely quite far from Bangla road, about 25-30 mins walk.

On the positive side, the room was clean. It is 10 mins walk to the beach.

Will I go back to this hotel again ? Never ! I can spend a bit more and stay in real hotel !

• Liked — None
  • Disliked — Many negatives!
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank raju_rr
sydney
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I stayed there with my bestfriend just last month and we loved it the staff were so helpful and went out of there way to help us the rooms were clean and nice everything worked out well. its only a short walk to the shops and plenty of places to eat out and the best bit was it was only like a five minute walk to the nightlife and shops so what more can you ask for its cheap and great so we will be going back next year

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Celena00
home
Reviewed May 10, 2009

Good location. Couple of hundred metres from the Mercure. Walk to the beach. Close to some pubs and restaurants.

Rooms are clean and adequately large. Unspectacular but larger and cleaner than expected. Bed is huge. Airconditioning/TV worked well. Showerhead was weak.

Staff were helpful.

Free internet was fine.

Swimming pool is tiny but it did not concern me. I didn't know they had one until I saw it. You can use the Mercure's pool, just walk right in!

Hotel-airport pickup is somewhat comparatively expensive.

This is a budget hotel. Quality exceeded expectations. I recommend Squareone if you're on a budget and if you're someone with realistic expectations.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo