“The friendliest hotel I have ever stayed in”

The Yorkshire Inn Hotel, Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 319 Hotels in Patong
United Kingdom
“The friendliest hotel I have ever stayed in”
Reviewed April 4, 2009

This hotel is probably one of the friendliest hotels I have ever stayed in
The rooms were cleaned to a very high standard every day and although I left money in my room it was always there when I got back.
The food is cooked to a very high standard and you can watch the chef cook through a glass screen so you know it is all fresh and to a high higenic standard.
The location is two minutes from the entertainment district, five minute walk from beach and all tours can be booked from the hotel (advise the James Bond island and monkey island combined tour).
Paul the owner is very friendly and laways on hand to assist with any questions you might have and goes out of his way to make sure your holiday is relaxed and enjoyable.
The pool is second to none and also has a fully equipped gym free to hotel patrons.
The best thing about this hotel though is the staff who are always smiling and love to chat to you and by the time you leave you will consider them more as friends then staff.
I really enjoyed this holiday and will never use another hotel when I visit Thailand as I have found my home from home.
As for the negative comments by some writers, everybody is entitled to their view yet you can easily tell those staying at the hotel who will write negative comments as they are rude to the staff and their culture, treat locals as property and never give a smile and hello/thankyou to the staff as they pass.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank adispoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed March 3, 2009

HOW I FOUND A WEE BIT OF YORKSHIRE IN THAILAND

Singapore, an enticing city and a great place to attend a conference. Not so for a weekend to recover after an intense three days preceded by an 11-hour flight from New Zealand.

The golden isle of Phuket, one of my all-time favourite holiday spots – and where I have many friends, beckons.

So does the NZ$120 return ‘add-on’ airfare from Singapore.

But where to stay?

This is “peak” coinciding with the northern winter when thousands of Europeans and Scandanavians descend on this magic place.

Big, tourist hotels are not 'my thing' at any time but especially when I am on my own. I cannot afford their ‘peak rates’ anyway, double what we pay in the middle of the New Zedaland winter, which is Thailand’s “low season”.

My long time favourite, is full, much as they would like to take me.

The usual places one trawls on the internet offer nothing that excites me.

I start Googling. Nothing much until, on about my fourth or fifth try over several weeks, up pops a link to something called ‘Trip Advisor’.

I double-click and, suddenly, I find myself being urged to “Get advice from real travellers” and that “more than 15,000,000 travellers from 190 countries planned trips here this week”.

That is as maybe. I am looking for a hotel in Patong. Up comes a list. Hmmh. That one looks okay but, what is this, THE YORKSHIRE HOTEL?

Yorkshire in Patong? Should I be surprised? Not really, given that I well know the hundreds of contradictions that exist in the “Land of Smiles”.

So, I click yet another link and up comes The Yorkshire. Am I surprised this time? Yes, I am.

I find myself reading a number of reviews posted by members of ‘Trip Advisor’. This, I discover, is one of the big, big features of the ‘Advisor’. Travellers saying what they really think about the places they visit and stay at.

The Yorkshire sounds just like the place I want to stay. In Soi Sansabai it is right in the centre of town, two minutes from the beach, at the top of the famous – or infamous – action places on Bangla Road and just around the corner from the huge and recently opened Jungceylon Shopping Centre. Restaurants, cafes, bars, massages are right outside the door.

So why have I not spotted it before?

Well, I have really had no reason to go beyond Ratu-thit Pee Road off which Soi Sansabai runs and, even if I had, I doubt I would have paid much attention to the relatively non-descript but neat frontage of The Yorkshire, very much in keeping with its small-scale neighbours.

The rooms look very spacious and comfortable but it is the swimming pool that takes the eye. I just cannot believe that something this spacious and its stunning surrounds could be hidden in Soi Sansabai.

So, I take the plunge (pun intended) and book, tempted by an offer from Ian Morgan, Director of Tourism and Guest Public Relations, that if I do so immediately, I will be upgraded to a Superior Large Deluxe Room.

So, given the postings on ‘Trip Advisor’, how did things turn out?

Well, ‘swimmingly’ (pun again intended).

The Yorkshire lived up to its billing and more.

The hotel reveals itself as a series of connecting buildings cunningly working its way behind immediate neighbours so that its main restaurant, for instance, has a street entrance several doors down the Soi, and backing on to the pool which, in turn skirts other buildings at the rear and connects to the hotel itself. The pool is even better than its pictures, overlooked by a state-of-the art fitness gym which seemed to be busy all day. A sauna and steam room are also available! In this climate, I am not certain why!

Looking up occasionally and watching the guys and gals pumping away while relaxing by the pool can be tiring though!

My room is precisely as described. Rather neat was the divider between the bed and the sitting area which had a plasma TV mounted on a panel which could be swivelled to so that it faced whatever part you were in. Satellite brings in all the channels I may want to watch, not that the TV was on much except early or late or if a sports event was on.

The staff were friendly and especially helpful and there was always someone to talk to in the café/bar, where numerous television screens show a host of sporting fixtures (there’s understandably a lot of soccer!) and the food is excellent and prepared in full view in the kitchen. A cricket bat or two in the halls as well!

I must not forget the taxi service. Late model, clean cars, friendly courteous drivers, very competitive rates (and taxis are really low-fare here), all owned by a Mr Ping Pong. The ever courteous ladies at reception know from so many arched eyebrows that they quickly explain that is his real name!

Owner, Paul Gibson, is always on hand to help and advise and sort out any problems - as I personally witnessed one morning. A ‘mine host’ with the patience of "Job' (in this particular case) in the tradition of those two words!

The Yorkshire has one of the most professional and informative web pages I have encountered in this part of the world and, as I found out for myself, one of the first small hotels in Thailand where you can book and pay your deposit through a secure website.

Phuket is always a great place to unwind. If you want to be right “in the action” in Patong, then ‘The Yorkshire’ is a great place to stay. Not though, I suspect, if you are the kind of person who wants to retire at 8/9 pm.

There are many other small hotels or – more correctly – guesthouses in Soi Sansabai. Some are new, others updated and all offering basic room accommodation a few notches above backpacker but still low-cost. The Yorkshire’s higher tariff reflects the ‘big hotel’ standards it seeks to provide but without the premium. I thought it very, very, good value indeed.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
9 Thank kiwilad37
Birmingham
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We've been travelling around Thailand for a month and this is easily the best place we have stayed at. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the owner Paul is a really good guy. The rooms are very clean and well priced. The hotel is in a decent location and has excellent pool and leisure facilties. We would recommend this place to anyone who comes to Patong.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Shrivs
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2009

This holiday was booked over 12 months ago. My first time to Asia, my friend whom i travelled with had been here in Thailand six times previously. I really enjoyed my stay at the Yorkshire Hotel, The rooms were cleaned on a daily basic from friendly staff any problems they would rectify the situation immediately. The reception staff was also very helpful in any situation.
Breakfast was English/ Thai or Continental. The choice was yours, staff was also very helpful in your order and never without a smile.
Of an evening the meals were second to none, in a nice atmosphere with soft background music to enjoy your evening away.
I personal thanked Paul Gibson 'the owner', during my stay how pleased I was with his whole establishment, stating that I would return and recommend it to my friends and family should they decide to come to Patong.
Location was a short walk to Bangla Road (2 mins) where the main night life starts, and (about 10 mins) to the sea.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kidbrooky
london
Reviewed February 28, 2009

me and a freind have just spent a fantastic 13 days at the yorkshire inn patong.
the hotel is just the other side of wild bangla rd and when you are in the bar,restaurant part of yorkshire inn you would not think that all wild clubs and bars just 100 metres away.
the owner paul gibson is a guy you would want as a hotel manager when you go on holiday.
The first day i had a few problems with standard room i had booked ie, toilet door handle, burst pipe, air conditioning but i took it in my stride and informed reception
they sent a repair guy with in 10 minutes sorted the problems out.
That evening i met paul for first time and just shared my first day experiance with him
and before i could say i was ok with the room he just said when i am ready he will upgrade me and my friend to his new deluxe rooms at half the cost to upgrade.
well what rooms large ,plasma on rotating wall so you can watch tv in bed or on leather coach. large beds with safe tea/coffee ,balconey.
the restaurant is trendy with booths large bar and pool table drinking area upstairs.
Good food with homemade pies,burgers recipe from yorkshire england,with thai food
and all your favourites.
I would greatly recomend this hotel for couples,buisness,and just freinds for a very good
looked after feel to your holiday and great food.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank traveltomyspace
london
Reviewed February 2, 2009

My husband and myself were on our honeymoon and had encountered a few problems with getting a visa for Australia. So we decided to stay in Phuket. We had no where to stay and wanted to find somewhere that was central in Patong,good value for money (as all our money had been spent on hotels in Australia) and friendly. The Yorkshire is all those things plus more. Firstly the rooms are lovely and furnished to a high standard, the staff are so helpful and so so friendly. Its really is a great hotel from the rooms, to the pool, to the food in the restaurant.They also have a fantstic lady called Guang working on the excursions desks who can advise and help you in all aspects of trips etc in Phuket. There is also a taxi srevice they provide (a lot cheaper than other taxis in Phuket) with the fantastic Mr Ping Pong to offer help and assistance. The Owner Paul Gibson is always on hand to offer any help and advise about Phuket.Our honeymooon was really made by Paul and we can not thank him enough for all his help.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank saffy23
North West Ireland
Reviewed January 14, 2009

Second time i have stayed here.

The location is excellent just 200 meters from the top of the main Bangla Street and so 10mins from the beach.

You cant tell from the outside because it nestles in the middle of terraceof buildings, but behind is a gymn, sauna, steamroon and swimming pool and garden. (and by the way most taxi drivers have never heard of it, simply get out at the top of the bangla street)

I paid 1800 bhat for the room per night (37 Euro) in peak season, without breakfast. To be honest you can get cheaper with hotels opposite and next door quoting me 800 bhat per night, but you would not have the same facilities.

They seem to be refurbishing it every year, the restaurant is a brand new neon lit affair (i actually prefer the older more traditional one that opened onto the street last year.)

If i was on a budget i would look elsewhere (in the same street), but i would not spend more in any other hotel as i cannot see what others could offer that is better.

• Liked — Facilities and Location
  • Disliked — New Restaurant design
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank TravelJunkie082