“Don't Stay here !”

Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa
Ranked #33 of 329 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed January 20, 2011

After our late flight we took a taxi from the airport and we asked that he took us to the Marriott Hotel. We agreed a price of 600 baht. On the way to Patong Beech the driver stopped off at what he said was his office. He went inside and a lady came out and asked if she could help booking a hotel. I explained it was not a problem and that I was not happy the driver stopped. She went on to say that as we did not have a booking we would get charged top rate for a hotel. As it was late and my wife was unwell I gave the woman some time to se what she came up with. After about 40 min we eventually agreed to book the Phuket Graceland hotel for two nights at a rate of 5000 per night. This was more than I wanted to pay and only agreed to it as it was. Delux pool facing room.

I paid 10,000 on my credit card and the drive took us to the hotel. As we pulled up along the hotel the driv handed me his phone, the woman from his office was on and was saying she had charged me too little for the room. I explained I was tired and did not understand what she was saying.

At the hotel we showed the receptionist our booking form and he told us that we had no booking!

He explained that we were given the wrong price and there was nothing he could do!

The driver at this point demanded his money to which I refused!

I asked that the police be called to which the receptionist refused!

The hotel staff were very un reasonable and basically told us to leave.

Eventually the woman from the office arrived and to shorten the story we had to pay an additional 4,400 bhat (£100) for our room. In total with the taxi that room cost (£350) for 2 nights.

The hotel was old, the bed very hard. The room not clean and the breakfast was very poor.

Staff were unhelpful, pool tiles missing and to be honest we didn't feel safe there.

The next day we found a new hotel and left.

This was our first experience of Thailand and the Graceland did not make us feel welcome at all.

I would avoid this hotel at all costs. There are far better hotels for far less money.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Princewaseem

Reviewed January 19, 2011

This was my first visit to Phuket and Patong. We had a very enjoyable and relaxing stay at Gracelands Resort. Yes the beds were hard, but you can ask the maagement to replace them with softer ones if you wish. Our room was very clean, spacious and comfortable and overlooked the gardens. We made use of all facilities, dined in the restaurant, charged drinks and massages to our room and left with a reasonable bill after 10-days. This hotel is located across from a beach, and 10 minutes walk from the party and shoping end of Patong Beach. I would recommend this hotel for families and the budget conscious.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Like many others, I checked out all the reviews before going and was panicking a bit after reading quite a few negative reviews and dreading sleepless nights on concrete beds. Now after returning home after an 11 night stay at Gracelands, I can tell you all that we had a great time there. There is nothing to worry about. We stayed in Building 9 Room 2941 on the top floor and looked over the empty block of concrete flats - you can see the ocean if you look over your balcony. We got a Deluxe room configured as a queen bed, double bed and rollaway single bed. The room and bathroom were fine. We had a television and air conditioning which both worked ok. The beds were a bit hard but I've slept on much worse. The buffet breakfast was fantastic. Heaps of different types of food. I ate mainly fruit and yoghurt but many of us had the bacon & eggs and liked it. The staff were really friendly especially the pool area staff. One lady in particular really looked after all of us (there were 13 of us - 9 adults, 4 kids between 13 & 6). The ground level pool area is fantastic and you walk straight over to the beach where we often hired chairs, got massages, mani/pedicures, fake tattoos for around $10 each Aussie. There are also heaps of people that walk up to you on the beach selling dresses, watches, belts, everything. We bought lots off them but bargained with them a lot and note if you buy in bulk, you save heaps. Make sure you take your laundry out to get done - so much cheaper. We walked out of the main hotel entrance and then turned left went through a little side gate into the laneway. There is also Eden Mini Mart in the laneway which you can buy drinks, chips, etc more cheaply than the hotel. We took our laundry to the first laundrette on the right hand side of the street 200 baht for 4 kg - not even $10 Aussie. Tuk Tuk's are right across the road and take you up to Phuket o top or Jung Ceylon for 150 baht. We shopped a lot up there. The walk up to the markets is about 15 mins so not too far. We went out for dinner at Le Meridien a resort over the hill which was beautiful and more upmarket but I think for a family holiday with kids, Gracelands was the place for us - it was more laid back. Highlights of the trip was the Phi Phi Island tour by speedboat - just beautiful - we had a great tour guide as well that made it a lot of fun - can't remember the name of the tour operator. Make sure you check out the tour operator you are going with. We saw some dodgy looking boats out there so beware - I think you would be in for a rough ride in some of those long wooden boats. We had a large fibreglass speedboat which wasn't overcrowded. Some of them are. Also the Fantasea show was great. Like a mini disneyland type of place where you have a buffet dinner (just unbelievable the size of it and food was pretty good too) with a great show and you can get your photo taken with baby tigers and elephants. The kids will love it. We also went to the Phuket Simon Cabaret "lady boy" show which was a bit of a laugh. Amazing costumes. Didn't take the kids to that one. We had such a fantastic time and would defintely go again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank Sammy8373
Reviewed January 10, 2011

My partner and I booked the Graceland via our Travel Agent.
We booked the Deluxe Pool view Room. The room was clean and overlooked the pool however the palm trees growing very close to the balcony blocked any view that might have been there. We were also directly above the Pool Bar which played music most of the day and as with modern music all you could hear was - thump thump thump
Breakfast was good with an excellent selection of dishes. People were friendly and helpful.
There is a courtesy bus that takes you to a shopping centre in Phuket Town if you wish to take advantage of it, however Jungceylon is a much better shopping centre.
I have been to Phuket several times now and find that generally beds are rock hard however Graceland beds were softer than most.
We ate at the resort once and the food was Ok however you get better value outside the resort at the small eating places.
Generally its a nice place to stay but if you want a pool view you need to be in the southern block to get any view at all. It was good to have the pool as the beach is not good at that time of year.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brentwood_Resort
Reviewed January 10, 2011

This was my 4th trip to Patong but first stay at Graceland. I thought it was fantastic. The rooms were spacious, clean and well furnished. The bathroom was big, clean and reasonably modern, only complaint was the lack of shower pressure. Also, like other reviews said, the bed was as hard as a rock, but wasn't too bad. It was really quiet in our room at night.
The grounds of the resort were great. Lovely pools, although the top pool was relaxing it felt like it was lacking something... it was a nice change from the lower pool though which is full of kids and sometimes rowdy youths at the swim up bar. Plenty of shade around the pool, nice views of the ocean.
The resort is probably a little bit too far away from most of the action, but wasn't too bad. It had its benefits. Don't be afraid to try the BBQ chicken on the corner near the hotel (beach side), or the Pancakes from the street vendor out the back of the hotel - both delicious!!
The resort put on a fantastic function for New Years Eve - good fun and fantastic food. It was all really well done.
We had pretty good service overall, even though they weren't the friendliest Thai people I've met. We were travelling with family who had young kids, and they happily moved them from a top floor room to a ground floor room (safety).
Didn't eat at the restaurants so can't comment, but buffet breakfast was very good.
Overall, great resort for a decent price.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AAA84
Reviewed December 26, 2010

I have been to phuket 3 times in 10 months and never have me and my thai girlfriend have been treated with so much disrespect from management and staff at the so called 4 star hotel staff where rude not very helpful at all rooms are outdated ants in the bathroom never got cleaned just not good enough want to stay a great hotel stay at the marriott in patong thats a 4 star not the graceland more of a disgraceland

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nicks39
Reviewed December 15, 2010

We had two very clean, beautiful rooms with pool and oacen views. The Thai cooking class is a must !! The breakfast was wonderful every morning, heaps to choose from.
Perfect location, not very far from all the shopping. Only should pay 100 baht to get form one end to the other. confirm price before getting in. But an easy walk also.
Great savings to be had, bargian down prices by two thirds and go from there. Always get them to give you a price first. The local people love it when you can say hello and thank you in Thai, so easy to do.
Room sevice was delivered quickly and all staff were very friendly.
Cheaper drinks and food to be found outside resort, but sitting by the pool bar having a drink is worth it. Staff happy to take photos for you.
As I had read a lot of negative comments on this site, I was so very pleasently surprised that it was all wonderful.The grounds around the resort are beautiful and so well kept.
Friendly people frienly place.
Will definitely go back !

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family