“Fantastic stay at Phuket Gracelands Resort & Spa”

Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa
Ranked #33 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Miranda, Sydney
“Fantastic stay at Phuket Gracelands Resort & Spa”
Reviewed May 2, 2007

My fiance & I have just spent 6 nights at Phuket Gracelands from 18th April, 2007. We looked at it when it first opened in October 2005, and thought it was lovely, so we were keen to stay there for our next holiday in Phuket.
We were not dissapointed!!! We had a "poolside" deluxe room which incuded breakfast for 3,300THB per night.
It had a queen size bed & a large king single with a porch that had a gate opening up to a step up to the most magnificent pool.
Hurrah - no climbing stairs or catching lifts. There were plenty of pool loungers and the whole place is beautiful grounds, a massive pool with swim-up bar, a rooftop infinity pool, bowling alley, fitness centre & sauna & a lovely foya. Plus many other more features.
The bathroom was large with a separate bath & the rooms were cleaned beautifully each day.
The best part was that it was directly across the road from the best part of Patong beach (the northern part between Club Andaman & the start of the hill going up to the Novotel.
It would be about a 15 minute flat walk to Bangla Road.
We absolutely loved this place, so much, that we have booked to stay there for part of our honeymoon in October, before heading off to Koh Samui for a few days.
The place is different from most of the other hotels in Patong, as you are not totally surrounded by the hotel, with the pool in the middle. The view from the huge pool is across to the beach, and the pool has sun all day (not like the majority of the other hotels in Patong)
The poolside room was great - If you wanted to go to the loo, or make a drink or 2, you just step down & walk in your gate into your room.
I have only good things to say about this hotel - we didn't use room service etc. as the prices are pretty expensive (as you always get when you order through the hotel. We always went out to eat as you are close to plenty of restaurants & bars etc.
Overall, we totally recommend Phuket Gracelands, especially for a couple - don't expect to have a game of volleyball etc. in the pool. It just doesn't happen there. But some people did have their children there, but the pool's so huge, there was no worries at all.
We just didn't want to leave.
LOVED PHUKET GRACELANDS!!!!

• Liked — Poolside rooms fantastic
  • Disliked — Having to leave!!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
12 Thank SandyL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Beverwijk, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 19, 2006

Stayd here in august 2006, have had a great time in the pools and the nearby beach. Lovely surroundings. Breakfast let a bit down not so many variaty. Rooms were new and wel kept, a little bit noise from the other guests but it was oke. Well worth trying this hotel when you want to sleep outside the noise of bangla road but still in walking distance (and 100 bath by tuk tuk).

4 Thank Tilakdutch
Melbourne
Reviewed April 6, 2006

My partner and I visited Phuket in 2002 where we stayed at the Merlin Beach Resort. This time around we wanted to stay in Patong, so we chose Graceland on the basis of price and location. We stayed in a Mini Suite room for 11 nights in March 2006.
The location of the resort is perfect for those who don't want to be in the thick of the hussle and bustle. Its an easy 5-10 minute walk to Bangla road, we walked along the beach usually! Being directly opposite the beach, going to the beach was no ordeal.

Visually, the resort looks like a wedding cake. But you don't book a place called "Graceland" and expect too much style. Our room was spacious, and had a large lounge area and two televisions. There was no cupboard to put clothes into, and only one wardrobe. The decor was marginal, not distasteful but not glamorous. For a "top notch" property the finishing touches were relatively poor and the room just didn't have that luxurious feel I was expecting. For example the tiling in the bath room was all wrong and looked very cheap.

The pools are the highlight of the hotel. There are two- one on the roof and one at the front of the hotel overlooking the beach. They have spa's jazuzzis and a swim up bar.

The main reason I would probably not go back to this hotel was the complete lack of service. From check in to check out the service was poor. Nothing was explained to us, no map or hotel guide was provided (there isn't even a hotel directory in the room!.) Ringing room service became a nightmare. On one occassion it took fifteen minutes to get the person to understand we wanted a particular item on the menu. I don't expect people to have perfect english or anything like that, but this hotel markets itself as 4/5 star. Its not unreasonable to expect the people answering the phone to know the menu. Plus it was 15 minutes out of my sunbaking time!

There was no particular staff memeber who was poor- it just seemed to be that there was a complete lack of training in customer service across the entire hotel. After checking out from this hotel we went to the Novotel and the difference in Service standards was immediately apparent. The owners of Graceland should stop marketing their resort as 5 star and go on a tour of real five star resorts to see how guests are treated.

If you care about are access to the beach and a fantastic pool, I would recommend this hotel. If its the other "extras" you like, then stay away.

• Stayed March 2006
14 Thank rickc1970
sydney
Reviewed April 2, 2006

I viewed this hotel as it was nearing completion in may 2005 and I thought to myself that it was a stunning resort and couldn't wait to return to stay here on my next trip to Phuket (which I just have recently completed).
We had a Grand Delux Seaview room with a view of the main swimming pool and a southerly view looking along patong beach, which is directly across the road.We dedcided it best to stay on the northern side of the property as there is a Muslim cemetary behind the southern side of the property and besides the view is better.
Every thing about this hotel is beautiful from the lobby to the two georgeous swimming pools. The rooms are well designed all with one double and one single bed (but no king) so we pushed the double and single together and had an enormous bed!
It is when you look closer at this property that the cracks do appear.The staff are very friendly and helpful but lack direction and training. This is obvious in the restaurant during breakfast where you feel like you are stepping into a 3 star dinning room.The restaurant itself is lovely and modern in design but they dress it down with old tablecloths, tacky skirted buffet tables for the tea and coffee(which which is self service) and drab staff, who do have beautiful smiles but their uniforms look more like housekeeping staff than wait staff.( May I add that the housekeeping staff were very good and the room was spotless every day). The food itself I found to be adequate but nothing special at all even for a three star(we satyed at Swissotel Nai Lert park in bangkok and Amari Palm Reef in Samui and the breakfasts were excellent,especiall the Amari).
The lobby is lovely but seems empty and lifeless most of the time except for the occassional head popping up form behind the reception counter which otherwise looked un-maned.Calling reception or housekeeping from the room can be an ordeal being passed from one person to another until someone finally understands you, and often this can be up to four or five different employees.This sort thing should not happen in a property of this class and only leads me to conclude that it lacks proper management.They do not even have guest feedback forms in the rooms for guests comments.
I inquired about the lack of guest feed back forms (and a conpendium for that matter) on check-out and I was firstly told the Guest Feedback form was in my room and I must have missed it. Then i was told that they forgot to put one in my room and that they would get one from the back office for me, only to be told that they had run out but I could write my comments on a piece of paper and leave it with them.When I asked to see the manager a chinese woman appeared from the back office and informed me that the had in fact ran out and that no rooms in the hotel had a guest feedback form and I doubt that they ever had them in the first place. Why? because I really don't think they care what we think.It appears obvious that this property is marketed to the Chinese market including mainland China, who are travelling in ever increasing numbers to south east asia every year.This becomes obvious when dinning with the other hotel guests during breakfast time which were at the time approximately 50% Chinese of hotel guests.
This could explain all other short comings of the property down to the choice of bathroom tiles on the wall, which really dont compliment the modern design of the bathroom.(my partner is Vietnamese so this is not a racist observation, rather more understranding that the property is moulded to the expectations of the sector of our community to which it is marketed too.)
However despite my dissapointment of the quality of service I throughly enjoyed the magnificant swimming pools and the views, especially the sun setting over patong bay from the swimming pool on top of the restaurant.
I do hope though that a good Hotel Management team will take over this property in the not to distant future, as this place deserves so much more.

• Stayed March 2006
16 Thank pooldiver
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 27, 2006

My husband and I went to Graceland Resort and Spa on Honeymoon in December 2005 and what a perfect choice it was! The hotel is magnificent with its perfectly kept lawns and sparkling blue pools. The turquoise sea is a small step away - just across the road!
The staff are all incredibly friendly and the room was modern, spacious and comfortable in all respects.
The staff had put rose petals on our bed and a fruit basket in our room apon our arrival. This was a lovely welcoming touch.
We cant wait until we can return again to this beautiful island and hotel - but this time we want to bring the whole fam!!!

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 12, 2006

My wife,2 sons, and I stayed at Gracelands late October/early November 2005 for 2 weeks.
The resort is impressive and the staff very friendly. At the time of our stay the resort had minimal occupants, so we pretty much had the run of the place.
The location of the resort (north of the main action) was not a problem. Immediately across from Patong Beach is hard to take. Grab towels from the pool bar, walk across the road and you are in beach heaven. It is only a 10 minute leisurely walk or a 100 baht tuk tuk ride (waiting just outside the front gate) that puts you in the heart of Patong shopping/restaurants/nightlife.
The resorts 2 swimming pools are huge. When you dragged yourself out of the pool you had the option of your own 10 pin bowling alleys, pool tables, fully equipped gym and a huge manicured grass area for the kids to play on in the middle of the resort.
The rooms were very well appointed with all the usual AC, sat TV, in room safe, kitchen, lounge etc. VERY COMFORTABLE.
Full buffet breakfast was included in our stay which provided a wide variety of foods assuring even the most fussy of eaters was satisfied.
All staff were only too willing to help any request. It was my wifes birthday during our stay. We returned to our room from the beach on her birthday to find a birthday cake and huge bouquet of flowers from the resort.
I would recommend Gracelands to all holidayers- families, honeymooners, elderly etc. We are saving now to return asap.

• Stayed October 2005
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed October 19, 2005

Have just returned from the Phuket Graceland resort - what a beautiful and peaceful hotel. This is not a place to stay if you want entertainment, but if you do want elegant rooms, gorgeous grounds,two fantastic pools in a quiet location about ten mins from the bustle of Patong (or 100bht in a tuk tuk) this is for you. The hotel has many faciities including a ten pin bowling alley! However it is VERY quiet of a night so if you do want a little music or entertainment with your evening drinks then you must venture out. This hotel was nearly empty which is surprising as it was easily one of the nicest in patong and one of the few beachfacing one.

So get the best of both worlds a peaceful and elegant hotel in a very vibrant busy resort, I would definately go back

• Stayed October 2005