“Disgraceland!”

Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa
Ranked #34 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Where to start???!

After coming from a beautiful hotel in Koh Samui where my partner and I were treated like Royalty, we were more than unhapppy with this hotel.

As we checked in at the front desk, we were not greated by the usual "sa-wat dee" with a big smile. We had to wait, while the three snooty women at the desk finished their conversations. As we were taken to our room, we had our fingers crossed that it would be as nice as some of the other reviewers had said, however as we noticed all the peeling paint and the rusty buildings, we were not feeling too confident.

The room was tiny, and had a horrible moldy smell to it. Although there was only the two of us, there were two beds in the room (a double and a king single) - apparently every room is set up like this? This hotel is only a couple of years old, but the wear and tear in the place was terrible. There were perculiar stains on the curtains and chairs, large patches of paint missing and the bathroom had mold throughout! (Not to mention you're not supposed to flush any toilet paper down the loo!).
We tried to change to another hotel, but they refused to refund our money. After deciding to stay on because of that, they at least moved us to another room - which turned out to be exaclty the same as the previous one!!!?

To celebrate Chinese New Year one night, they put on this private banquet/show on the lawn which lasted from 5pm until late. While trying to catch some Z's, all I could hear was the loud "doosh doosh" of the base coming down from the lawns infront of our room. We had no warning about this.

Every time we walked through the lobby, there was always at least one person complaining or arguing with the always unfriendly staff.

AHHH also....!!! This hotel is next to a CEMETARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Terrible. I was often woken up around 4-5am to someone chanting.

One morning our phone rang at 4am, asking us when we were checking out. We angrily told them not until Monday (2 days later). After a weak apology, five minutes later somone was knocking at our door trying to collect our luggage!!!!!

The one nice thing about this place was the pool areas - the only place that really felt relaxing in Patong!

I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone. DO NOT STAY THERE!!! Or Patong really?!

If we ever went to Patong again (which we probably wouldn't) we would have liked to have stayed at The Impiana or La Flora - just down the road from Disgraceland! Check those out instead!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank L4D84
Write a ReviewReviews (2,778)

Reviewed January 7, 2009

Pros-
Location is good. Right in the center of town with 2 pools sandwiched between low-rise buildings.

Right next door to the beach and a short walk to all the night life.

Breakfast selection is good.

Cons-
Rooms are okay but some fixtures are a little dated. e.g My bed is not flat. The door between my room and my parent's room doesn't shut completely.

My sister complained about bugs.

There was a moldy smell at the corridor.

Wifi was terrible. I paid good money but got poor signals inside the room. If you move your computer outside the room then it is fine as they strap the router at the corridor (how unprofessional and yet they have the audacity to charge such high prices.)

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank H2bomb
Reviewed December 5, 2008

Beautifull Hotel - Excellent service - Swimmingpool great - Staff very friendly especially with the kids. All in all great value for money!!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank BelindaSA
Reviewed December 2, 2008

My daughter and I booked 10 days at this resort after reading recommended reviews on this site so I feel very strongly about setting things right about Gracelands Spa and Resort in Phuket.

On arrival many guests were told that there was no rooms available and that we all needed to move to another hotel that could accommodate us. After booking more than 6 months in advance I demanded, as did others compensation when we all returned 2 nights later.

On return to the hotel I was offered an upgrade to a suite which had views of which resembiled a tip or construction sight. I declined the upgrade and took my chances with the standard room I had booked. The smell hit me first of damp and mildew and not because of a tropical environment but due to the poor mantainance and condition of the room. It was unclean, old, and most things in the room didn't work properly. After 2 nights I couldn't sleep due to the smell of the linen I had to cover the pillows with fresh towels to hide some of the smell. I asked for a room change but nothing was available.

It turns out the hotel had booked a conference for over 200 people who had preference over some of the hotel areas overall you really felt second rate to the conference people the entire time. For example our buffet dinner was served in the corridor while conference guests ate in the main restaurant dining area.

As I was travelling with my 7 year old daughter I was reeling when woken up at midnight to music so loud out side my room. Gracelands had organised a welcome party for the conference at 11.30 tue night. I walked onto the balcony to see 200 or more people, loud speakers and flashing lights. No letter of warning I called to complain and was told the conference people were leaving the next morning. 6 nights later another party for the same people no warning. It was unbelievable. I left my daughter in the room and told them in person I was checking out the next morning.

Overall the staff cared little about the happiness of there guests. The hotel is old, I mean rottiing old! I complained as when I flushed the toilet it leaked all over the bathroom. The shower leaked as well. I reported it and there solution was to lay towels on the bathroom floor. I guarentee you that it is still not fixed as nothing at the gracelands is. The room opposite mine left a finished meal outside their door for collection, it took 2 days and even then it was only moved to the far end of the corridor.

Oh and the corridors,dark damp concrete floors feels like your walking up an old dingey block of flats. And the noise, you can here everything, people above you, people below you and every pair of high heel shoes in the hotel. You want to hear phones ringing all day all night stay at the gracelands!

I have stayed in cheap guesthouses that were better than this in service and cleanliness. Gracelands doesn't care about its establishment and certainly doesn't care about its guests. If it was free I wouldnt go back and my advice to you is if you have booked the Gracelands in Phuket to cancel your booking pay the cancellation fee and go somewhere else. I wish I had!!! Oh and take a touch because they don't replace the lights in the lifts either.

Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank luckimi
Reviewed November 9, 2008

My partner and I stayed at Gracelands for about two weeks in late Oct, early November and it was great.
I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews on this site but this place was fantastic. Our room was great, it overlooked the entire pool and we could also see the beach too.
It was so lovely to lie in the sun on the loungers ( the pool was amazing!) and the breakfasts were fantastic. We didn’t eat dinner or lunch at the hotel other than the first night which was pretty expensive ( 1500 b for buffet dinner for 2!).Our room was cleaned to perfection every morning and they also supplied two bottles of water free each day which was great.

Its great being slightly out of the craziness... only a ten min walk, but we often walked on the beach to get away from the markets.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NewZealandSarah
Reviewed November 9, 2008

Came from Bangkok where they treated you like royalty, stepped out of the mini bus and were greeted at the door and then shown to the counter, were given our pass keys and the luggage was taken up stairs, room appeared nice, two beds,a double and a large single,my wife who is 5' nothing fitted quite comfortably, I am 6'5" and my feet were hanging out the bottom of the bed.
First day for breakfast, expecting something really good as this is a NEW hotel found that the HOT food was cold, they had forgotten to turn on the food warmers,we saw them lighting them as we arrived. The bacon was pre cooked and placed in to tray then shoved into the food warmer, the eggs were pre-cooked and placed onto casserole dishes, by the time that we got to them they looked like bits of plastic,our friends with us had wedges which were still frozen in the middle, you had to get your own tea and coffee. I complained to the manager but nothing happened the second or third day that we we there. the fourth day was the same,this time the manager approached us and asked how everything was going, I grabbed a piece of cold bacon from my plate and shoved it into his hand, he promptly grabbed the chef and removed the bacon, but I don't think anything was done as it was still cold,nothing changed in the 10 days that we were there, the staff just appeared to ignore you as they always appeared to have something better to do, There was no information in the foyer for any tours, tours guides attended were wandering around the lobby with bits of paper in their hands looking for people that were supposed to be on tours.The pools were nice, we ordered a meal of fish and chips at the top pool and received something that looked like it had just been born. What had happened what we worked out was that the fish had been frozen so they put it in the microwave to thaw it out but had cooked it instead,then had crumbed it and cooked it again,now use your imagination as to what it would look like.Me,personally will never go to that hotel again and what I tell my friends about it I don't think they will either

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
6  Thank blg5188
Reviewed November 7, 2008

Booked directly through the hotel website. Got the lowest rate guarantee 3500 Bhat deluxe room with breakfast for two adults and child. Would definately advise this method.

A very good property in phuket on the northern end of patong beach. Better than being in the middle of patong beach which is very crowded. Cross the road and you are on patong beach.

800 metres from the bangla road.

Good pool, excellent breakfast ( with something for everyone). Lunch and dinner was not taken in the hotel, hence no reviews.

Good room and bath with shower and tub in deluxe.

Has two exits. Try the one towards IBIS hotel for avoiding the many tuk tuk and taxi guys standing outside the gate towards patong. Can also hire a two wheeler from near this exit.

One of the best locations you can have for the money you pay.

Good efficient staff. Hotel also has a travel desk. But also take qoutes from the various agencies in and around patong for quotes. They will definately be cheaper.

Loved it and would recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family