“Far below expectations. ”

Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa
Ranked #34 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

My 3 girlfriends and I booked 2 nights in the Graceland for a little bit of luxury after 3 weeks of traveling Thailand - however, despite being more expensive than the other hotels we'd stayed in on the trip, it was by far the most disappointing!

The location of the hotel is good - right on Patong beach (the perfect beach if you're into surrounding yourself with thousands of ignorant, oversized western tourists), and near little restaurants and market stalls. It's easy to walk around the centre of Patong from the hotel with little effort, and cabs in the area are relatively cheap. However this was pretty much as good as it got - the hotel itself was a bit of a shambles for somewhere that claims to be so good!

Firstly, they ask for 3,000 baht or a credit card to keep at reception throughout your stay. As four young 20-year-old travellers without credit cards and at the end of our trip with minimal money left, this was a rude shock! No other hotel asked for this - a stupid request.

The rooms were very dated, especially compared to the cheaper places we'd stayed in with much nicer interiors. The air conditioner in one of our rooms was even gushing water everywhere! I'd put the rooms on par with 2 to 3 star accommodation in any western country. We had friends staying in the new wing of the hotel and their rooms were very nice, however the same price as our mediocre ones - so if you decide to book a room here, here's hoping that luck is on your side!

Pool facilities are undoubtedly very nice, with numerous pools around the resort. We especially liked the sky pool on the 3rd floor which overlooked Patong beach and had less annoying families all over the place.

The breakfast service is good quality, albeit very busy; packed with big bogan Australians and annoying American families pushing and shoving to get to the bacon and eggs. The food itself was decent and they cater very well for the thousands of people staying at the resort... In saying that, a peaceful breakfast it is not. You have the joy of dining with hundreds of other people in a packed dining hall. If you're looking for a romantic place to stay, this is not the one! If you're a family, however, it would most likely suit your situation very well. Each to their own!

Some staff were very nice, especially the cleaners and room service - however overall they were pretty rude, especially reception. My friends and I are all very friendly and well-mannered, yet despite our best efforts many of the staff simply wouldn't crack a smile. To be fair, I'd probably be pretty unhappy too if I worked in a place like the Graceland!

Wifi was only free in the lobby.. In traveling Europe I had to pay for internet in all the hotels I stayed in, however the 4 other (and remember, cheaper) places we stayed in around Thailand all had free wifi in every room. You'd think a hotel as big as the Graceland could somehow provide free wifi like all other places in Thailand seem to do! Silly.

An overall disappointing stay. Probably a great place for families, but for anything romantic or for trips with friends, I'd definitely recommend staying elsewhere!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank mdunne1993

Reviewed January 21, 2014

For a 4 and a half star hotel it was VERY disappointing. Rooms, pools and buffet breakfast were all satisfactory however the staff and security were the biggest let down for the hotel. Front desk staff especially were rude and unhelpful with any questions or concerns we had and the language barrier made it difficult to receive a simple response.
We received better customer service from a 3 star hotel in Bangkok.
The swim up bar cocktails and room service meals were all really yummy and worth a try however there is a service and tax fee every time you get one of these so i suggest trying only a few times so you dont rack up a massive bill and finding majority of it is fees. Cheaper to go to a restaurant.
The maid staff were really lovely and pleasant (as were the swim up pool bar staff) however the cleaning was unsatisfactory for a hotel of its star rating. Dust and our mess was swept underneath our beds and toilet paper and towel replacement was stingy and we found ourselves having to ring front desk for more as they would take the towels and not replace them.

Location wise the hotel is close to the beach however the hotel is situated right next to a cemetery.
I was mugged outside Graceland hotel in between the Graceland Hotel Sign/driveway entrance and the entrance to the cemetery. For starters there is no security situated near these signs and the security cameras for the hotel did not work near this area as they were unable to show us camera footage of the mugging. I screamed for help as the mugger ran into the cemetery with my bag and not one security guard from the hotel came to my assistance or responded to my calls for help, even as i was running up the driveway none of them came to me to see what had happened and i had to reach them before they would even listen to what i had to say. The following morning i spoke to some of the locals on the beach about what had happened and as soon as i said "my bag was stolen" every one i spoke too pointed at the cemetery and said your bag is either gone or in there. From these comments and lack of care and concern from security AND police i can only gather that this is a common spot for mugging and the cemetery offers a quick get away for the muggers. So i suggest taking tuk tuks or taxis home at night, walking the back way past all the restaurants to wherever you want to go and NOT along the beach.

We will not be returning to Graceland hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms which are on the pool are nicer, with more appealing views and dont have paths running outside...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ashleighallen17
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Good place to stay for location and beach access. The majority of the resort is old and is in desperate need of updating. Staff weren't helpful, rude and couldn't speak english properly. We had issues with our room but response was poor & not helpful. We were very disappointed with Graceland and will not be staying again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle Z
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at the new wings of the resort for 3 days. The room was very big & cozy and the bed was very comfortable. The things I don't like about the room was the amenities provided by the resort was not very good and the toilet sewage system was very noisy. Also, they don't have wifi in the room. There were two restaurants in the resort and you can have breakfast at each restaurant on different days. Overall it's a pleasant stay in Graceland so I'm giving this resort a 3/5 ratings.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2014

for 400 per night I would have thought I would have had a very nice room. The floor was half peeled up and the AC did not work very well. One of our two rooms did not have warm water. I stayed in the last night and ordered room service as our flight left at 6 AM. It took 2.5 hours for them to get me my meal. They said it was because they were busy but my friend who was next door ordered 15 minutes after me and got his food an hour and a half earlier.

It was not all bad as I enjoyed the soup in the café and many of the staff were helpful but overall it was not a great stay. In fact, it was probably the worst stay of my month long stay in SE Asia.

I should also state for full disclosure that it was New Years Eve and New Years day so that may have had an effect on our rate and the quality of the service.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was very wary of this hotel after reading some of the negative reviews online however the resort is really lovely and the breakfast was amazing. I did find there was a bit of a language barrier with the staff sometimes (which lead us to pay way too much on laundry services, not happy about that!) but they are quite friendly. In terms of the room the balcony is wonderful to relax on and soak up the sun and the room is quite nice.

Room Tip: It's probably worth it spending the extra and getting a poolside room in the sunset area if it...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic resort for the family given it's location , amenities & service. Walking distance to beach , Phuket Central & activities .. Great hotel for the family & couples.
recommended without breaking the bank !!!!... Home away from home 1