“It's ok but does come across like it's 15 years old when some of it is new” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Baan Laimai Beach Resort

Baan Laimai Beach Resort
Ranked #21 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“It's ok but does come across like it's 15 years old when some of it is new”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed here for three nights in January in a room in block 7 which overlooks the pool and was apparently new two years ago. I find this difficult to believe because the bathroom fittings are old and corroded. There was also an old fusty smell that lingered as long as the balcony doors were shut and clothes left out felt damp. My guess was that it was about five years old but apparently not.

Pool area is good and service, food and drinks all fine. It's a big hotel but there seemed to be enough sun loungers to go around. Wifi was free and surprisingly all right throughout. Breakfast buffet was not great and missing an egg chef.

So, nothing special and nothing awful. Wouldn't make an effort to stay here again and wouldn't want to pay top rates.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Richard G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Myself, boyfriend and two other friends stayed here over New Years. We had organised a transfer with the hotel which proved a good idea, unfortunately there was a lot of traffic coming into Phuket and the trip took around 90 minutes from the airport. Checking in was simple and reception spoke good english. The only immediate downer was the compulsory 'new years eve gala dinner' fee of 4500baht per person ($150approx each), which was a totally ridiculous fee for something we didn't even wish to attend - and within reason, as the food was cold, service was non-existent and the entertainment was average.
I booked the trip six months prior, opting for a superior room while the other two chose the deluxe seaview room. Upon booking, I chose the King bed option, also specifying this in 'the special instructions'. We arrived around 10pm exhausted, to be shown to our room that had two single beds. When I brought to there attention what I had asked for/paid for, I was advised this was the only room available..despite me booking/requesting months ago, and that housekeeping would come to push the beds together and change the sheets to King size. This didn't happen for over two days. Another unfortunate aspect of the room was the air conditioning unit, which didn't work at all - so many uncomfortable nights were spent trying to sleep in 30+ degree heat and humidity. Looking back now I wish I complained and changed rooms. Despite this, the superior room was basic as expected (bed, bar fridge, old tv, bathroom). It was clean and well maintained. Our bathroom was spacious and modern, and in comparison to the deluxe room of our friends (only difference was a balcony), was much better. Furniture is wooden and could be considered worn, but that aspect makes no difference to my holiday whatsoever unlike some others..
The point I wish to stress the most is the noise levels - when booking be very specific to be situated away from the bar/restaurant as they contain a stage which has live entertainment until 2am EVERY night that is extremely loud. Unluckily our room was probably 50m from this stage, as we were on ground level - so the nights we were home early, sleep was impossible unless you had had a few drinks, particular as the door is a fold/slide wooden door that is very thin!!This aspect made even the superior room seem very overpriced.
We checked out after five nights to stay at phi phi for four (highly recommended), then returned and checked in again for one night before flying the next day. When we checked in the second time (superior room again), we were shocked at the quality of room we were given. It was on the fourth level (top of one of the buildings), and had its own rooftop garden and each room had an outdoor area with sun chairs. The aircon worked, the room was modern and the bathroom was amazing and the view was unbelievable. I would recommend this room for the price I paid - try and request it if booking (was #8404).
Despite the negativities, I enjoyed my stay overall at this hotel (mind you I'm young so would enjoy anywhere). We spent some time in the pool, at the wet bar, took advantage of the buffet breakfast everyday (average food - missing an egg chef). We ate at the restaurant quite often and it was always a good experience, as were the cocktails. Other then this we were rarely in the hotel, taking advantage of the rest of Patong.
The hotel travel agent was very good in booking transfers, ferrys and activities for us. The hotel held our bags for us once we checked out / had 4 hours to kill before we left for the airport - which was much appreciated. Checking out was easy and we got our 3000baht deposit back without issue.
I would stay at this hotel again, though I am sure you could get more for your money (Baan Thai for example), as the noise at night becomes quite unbearable if you have a poorly located room. Otherwise I have an open mind with traveling so appreciated everything else! Perfect for a young group.

Room Tip: Rooms further from beach are quieter. Higher rooms are quieter. Try to request rooms ranging from 84...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Far from perfect, but the plusses outweigh the negatives. On the plus side, the location is perfect, probably the best in Patong. Close to the beach and nightlife. Also the facilities are great with one of the best hotel pools I have seen. the rooms are big and if you get a pool view room the balconies are a great place to sit and relax.

Negatives - it's pricey. The staff, although pleasant and friendly are totally incompetent. Don't bother asking any questions as they will just make up an answer to satisfy you.

At the time of year the biggest complaint is the New Year's Gala. it is compulsory and costs 4,500 Baht and you don't get much for it. They took ten days to build the venue, disrupting the pool area and much of the facility while getting ready. Then on the night of the gala they were totally disorganized, having difficulty finding your pre-arranged seats. In spite of the high cost for the meal, they don't even provide water or soft drinks in the price, you have to pay big rates just to get a non-alcoholic drink. The food, although masterfully prepared, is stone cold as it has been sitting on the buffet tables with little heat applied. The entertainment was weak, other than their normal bar band who you hear every night anyway.

We will return as we know what we are getting and there are no suprises, But we will likely stay somewhere else for New Year's, as this is a big rip-off, that many of the larger hotels impose on their guests.

I don't want to tell people not to come, as it is a great place, if you are OK with the high price, but know what to expect.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a pool view room. I wouln't stay here in a room with no windows and there...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Brian B
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Just got back from holidays in Patong and really liked the hotel. The location is great, walking distance to shops, restaurants and bars, without being in the middle of Patong's party chaos. The breakfast is amazing, really: pastries, fruits, lots of real food even. I loved it. Our room was on the second floor, by the pool. It was big and everything worked perfectly, like air con, toilet, tv etc. They had a band playing every night at the hotel restaurant, but as soon as I closed the balcony doors, I couldn't hear anything. It didnt disturb us at all. The only annoying thing were the mosquitos, but this has nothing to do with the hotel. They were everywhere in Patong. They are also renovating the hotel, so in the mornings you could hear banking noises, but they didn't start super early anyway.
I didn't like the food at the their restaurant. Was boring and they had no fresh fruit juice.
The staff is helpful but remember to speak primitive English to them or they won't understand you. Our toilet got clogged one day and I went to the reception and said "toilet bad, water up, bad smell". They sent someone to fix it immediately. If you try to speak perfect English you will confuse them, since people in Phuket don't really speak English.
The hotel has a small stand where you can book excursions too. We booked one and it was great, everything worked perfectly. The beach in front of the hotel is great and you can rent two nice chairs/parasol for 200 baht a day. Some taxis and Tuk Tuk right in front of the hotel too.
I wish I could have stayed longer. One week was not enough. I would totally go back and stay at Baan Laimai again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrasseSwe
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

If I could give a zero star rating i would!

Service is non-existent, staff (when you can get someone) rude, hotel is dirty, noisy,old, food disgusting, air con doesn't work, kept waiting at reception upon checkin for hours even though we arrived well after check in time.

When we checked out they tried to charge us for extra things inc a broken glass and missing swipe card that we never had. We had to move rooms as the first room they gave us had a shattered glass door and mildew where the rain had got in. Floor was all warped even in second room.

Instead of charging your credit card if something is damaged, they charged us the bond before the holiday and never refunded even though we never damaged anything. Never replied to our emails asking for the refund.

Live band plays till midnight every night and makes sleeping difficult. Tried to get a refund so we could check out but no one speaks English. Talking to other guests they felt the same way, which mAkes me suspicious of any good reviews. Staying here Totally ruined our holiday. There are loads of great places to stay so we would never go back!

Room Tip: My tip - Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Love-to-traveloo
Muscat Governorate, Oman
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

We ate at the restaurant last night as looked really nice. The food was average and the cocktails watered down, when we complained about the lack of alcohol, they took them away and returned them in the same state. The staff were not very friendly and started clearing the table before my husband had finished eating. It was the most expensive meal we have had for 4 at over 3000 baht and the worst!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kazzaneil
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Hi stayed at the hotel from the 13th to the 19th of December. The location is absolutely fantastic and it's right in the heart of Patong - so great for walking and visiting the night markets. However, the customer service was average, because of the following reasons:

1. When I arrived at the hotel, I had inquired about a possible upgrade, as I am 5 months pregnant. The front desk receptionist - Justin - was quite cheeky in asking me, "if you wanted an upgrade, why did you chose your current room in the first place?" I was quite shocked and thought his comment to be rude.

2. Anyways, he showed me the room I had booked, which was old, smelly, and moldy. I made a fuss and asked to see the manager. No manager turned up, but someone finally showed me another room (of the same price category), which was far better than the abysmal room i was first shown.

3. House keeping was not punctual and did not do a good job of cleaning the toilets at all.

On another note, the breakfast spread was fantastic, although not many option for vegetarians. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, but would make sure I got a more current room, than an old, smelly one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple